Found 23rd Aug 2009
I was about to set up an auction and was planning to give some of the earnings to charity but then i saw this:
"MissionFish UK vets charities, processes donations and advises charities on how to make the most of the eBay marketplace. MissionFish UK takes a small administrative fee from sellers donations to cover core processing costs."

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml

Take a look at some of the examples.

Just found that MissionFish are a charity themselves....but still surely if you donate a % to charity you expect your whole donation to go to that charity?

4 Comments

Original Poster

EXAMPLE Donation

Final sale price £10.00

Donation percent 20%

Original donation due £2.00

Gift Aid £0.56

Total donation £2.56

MissionFish deduction -£0.40

Charity receives: £2.16

Banned

Yeah I saw this when I looked into it, put my back right up but its the same for any donating. If you donate on their website they still have to pay a fee to the money launders, if you pay in their shop they have to pay rent charges, only free method is those cash boxes, but then I imagine the banks charge them to process the cash.

No law says a charity cannot charge for its services or sell items, so hopefully making a profit it can use for proper purposes.

Whether that purpose is paying the administration staff £35,000 a year plus expenses, or supporitng their own charitable work, is subject to the rules of registered charities.

As far as I can see they are not breaking the law.

It may be argued successfully or otherwise, that these "gift-ad" sites generate more revenue for the charities they collect for, than the charities would have got on their own.

If they do not, do not use them.

Original Poster

mateypeeps;6093513

No law says a charity cannot charge for its services or sell items, so … No law says a charity cannot charge for its services or sell items, so hopefully making a profit it can use for proper purposes.Whether that purpose is paying the administration staff £35,000 a year plus expenses, or supporitng their own charitable work, is subject to the rules of registered charities. As far as I can see they are not breaking the law.It may be argued successfully or otherwise, that these "gift-ad" sites generate more revenue for the charities they collect for, than the charities would have got on their own.If they do not, do not use them.

i never said it was against the law at all, its perfectly legal, just imoral in my opinion, hence the reason i wont use ebay to give to charity. Just wanted to provide anyone who had overlooked this a heads up not to spark troll like comments.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769261
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322842
    3. IKEA are releasing a range of furniture for pets in the UK67
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564105

See more discussions