Ebay Collection only item

Found 28th Nov 2017
Hi Guys I have an item in ebay for collection only ie cash on collection ,but someone tried buying item and said they cant checkout without paying for it via paypal,is that right ?
I suppose if it is ,best scenario is to tell them to buy it and the refund the paypal item and then ask for cash on collection ?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
They don't need to checkout if its collection only, you just give them the address, they collect and then you mark as paid.. There is no need for them to go through the checkout process at all..

I've sold a couple of things via collection only and nobody had any issues with this.
Not correct. Just tell that person to pay you on collection, then go on eBay and mark it as paid.
Just to add the the above, be wary when being paid online and releasing the goods by hand. A very common tactic of scammers is to pay by PayPal, collect in person, and then file a bogus fraudulent transaction or non-delivery claim. You have no evidence of giving the goods to the buyer, so PayPal will always rule in the scammer's favour, enabling them to rob you with basically no repercussions.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, but do be aware of it in future, if you sell like this again.
Make sure your listing doesn't require payment via PayPal before it can be sold.
If you edit the listing you will see whether the option is selected or not.

Other than that, if you add an item to your basket rather than using Buy it Now maybe that works in a different way? No idea.
There is a setting when listing an item stating something along the lines of "immediate payment required". This means people can't buy your item without paying for it.

Scammers are far and few between, as you can always prevent new buyers from paying for items.
What RiverDragon8 and Agharta said seems correct!

Collection only means they have to pay when they collect it. They shouldn't have an option to pay for it via paypal. Thats how i thought it worked.. unless its changed.
Edited by: "Tiddly_fiddly" 28th Nov 2017
Tiddly_fiddly5 m ago

What RiverDragon8 and Agharta said seems correct!Collection only means …What RiverDragon8 and Agharta said seems correct!Collection only means they have to pay when they collect it. They shouldn't have an option to pay for it via paypal. Thats how i thought it worked.. unless its changed.

They won't let you remove the option for using PayPal but you just have to disable the immediate payment required feature which would force users to use PayPal.
Agharta8 m ago

They won't let you remove the option for using PayPal but you just have to …They won't let you remove the option for using PayPal but you just have to disable the immediate payment required feature which would force users to use PayPal.

I just sold a TV 3 weeks ago locally. Once the person picks it up and pays you cash, you go on eBay and mark it down as paid and dispatched..... and that's it. Then eBay will deduct their fees accordingly.
Be careful if exchanging addresses etc or Ebay will be on to you with a ban for trading outside Ebay if the buyer can't use the checkout.
RiverDragon85 m ago

I just sold a TV 3 weeks ago locally. Once the person picks it up and pays …I just sold a TV 3 weeks ago locally. Once the person picks it up and pays you cash, you go on eBay and mark it down as paid and dispatched..... and that's it. Then eBay will deduct their fees accordingly.

I know how it works but was just saying that you can't remove the option for PayPal even where you state cash on collection only.
I highlight this in large red text at the top of the listing and the majority of people will read that and act accordingly.
But you'll get the odd buyer who misses it or ignores it and pays with PayPal anyway so you just refund them.
Sounds like its a Buy Now listing with immediate payment via Paypal required.....?

If listing is still active you need to amend it to 'collection in person in the postage details, and 'cash on collection' in the payment section.

Once a buyer commits to buying they will be sent an invoice which will have your collection address on it, once you have cash in hand, mark the items as paid, despatched and leave relevant feedback.
yeah it was buy it now and twice its been bought from idiots who dont read the listing and paid via paypal and when i said it collection only from London , they all make excuses ,best one was son bought it without permission ...
taiko28th Nov

yeah it was buy it now and twice its been bought from idiots who dont read …yeah it was buy it now and twice its been bought from idiots who dont read the listing and paid via paypal and when i said it collection only from London , they all make excuses ,best one was son bought it without permission ...

Can you give us the listing number?

I don't understand why it would allow PayPal payment if you've entered cash on collection...
andynicol55 m ago

Can you give us the listing number?I don't understand why it would allow …Can you give us the listing number?I don't understand why it would allow PayPal payment if you've entered cash on collection...

You can't block people paying with PayPal even if you specify cash on collection only.
This is probably a throwback to when PayPal used to be a wholly owned eBay subsidiary as they would try to emphasise that as a payment method due to the fees they would collect from its use.
Agharta19 h, 3 m ago

You can't block people paying with PayPal even if you specify cash on …You can't block people paying with PayPal even if you specify cash on collection only.This is probably a throwback to when PayPal used to be a wholly owned eBay subsidiary as they would try to emphasise that as a payment method due to the fees they would collect from its use.

As recently as a couple of months ago, you were able to list an item and selecting 'cash on collection' allowed you to de-select the paypal payment option.
andynicol6 m ago

As recently as a couple of months ago, you were able to list an item and …As recently as a couple of months ago, you were able to list an item and selecting 'cash on collection' allowed you to de-select the paypal payment option.

Thanks for that as it's about time they allowed that feature.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants