eBay - Collection only - Process?

Found 27th Sep 2015
Hello I wanted to ask,

What is the process when buying an item on collection pick up only?

Do I have to pay straight away?
What protection do I have as a buyer?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
That is the general idea on collecting an item otherwise the seller may never see you again!! Cash on collection. If you don't want the item then don't hand over any money. Why not ask the seller if you can view first to avoid any hassle of walking away if it's not as described.

Just a word of warning. If you ever sell an item on ebay and the buyer wants to collect. Insist on cash only because if the buyer pays you on paypal and then collects, you have no proof of delivery. It doesn't matter what you get the buyer to sign ebay will not accept it. They only accept proof of posting receipts and tracking information given by carriers. A mate's brother in law got stung this way. He sold an iphone. Buyer was supposed to pay by paypal for item. Buyer contacted the seller and said I am coming through to your town next week is it ok to come and collect it. I will pay you now so you know that I genuinely want the item. Seller agreed. Buyer pays by paypal. Buyer comes and collects the phone and then two weeks later put a claim into ebay/paypal to say item never arrived. Seller took a note of the 'thief's' car reg number luckily. There are some scumbags out there. Most people on ebay I have found to be genuine but then I am very choosey who I buy from. I will never buy from abroad and never from sellers with any repetitive bad feedback, such as item described new but wasn't. Item never arrived. Item fake. If something appears cheap as a buy it now, there will be a reason. I have purchased 100's of items off ebay and been stung a few times. It's also rare I buy from amazon unless it's a prime item sold or fulfilled by amazon.
agree to a time for collection
make sure you're happy with product and pay
get a receipt
end of story
whatever you do don't pay upfront
As a buyer - I would pay by paypal to have the protection
As a seller - smartguy is right. No way should you ever accept paypal!! You have to ship in a certain manner to qualify for protection.
I've bought several expensive (~£500) items from newbie sellers and picked in person. Both times I wanted to pay by CC before balance transferring it, and did it in front of them...but took the item home. They weren't protected and I could've been a scammer. Luckily for them I wasn't, but they really did nothing to protect themselves in these situations.
I fulfilled my needs i.e. paying by CC and having the buyer protection should the item malfunction, and whilst they had legal protection, they had forfeited any paypal protection offered to them
DennisG

As a buyer - I would pay by paypal to have the protectionAs a seller - … As a buyer - I would pay by paypal to have the protectionAs a seller - smartguy is right. No way should you ever accept paypal!! You have to ship in a certain manner to qualify for protection.I've bought several expensive (~£500) items from newbie sellers and picked in person. Both times I wanted to pay by CC before balance transferring it, and did it in front of them...but took the item home. They weren't protected and I could've been a scammer. Luckily for them I wasn't, but they really did nothing to protect themselves in these situations.I fulfilled my needs i.e. paying by CC and having the buyer protection should the item malfunction, and whilst they had legal protection, they had forfeited any paypal protection offered to them

Just so you are aware... Paying by CC via PayPal does not offer you any Section 75 protection, therefore you would only have the usual buyer protection that eBay offers.
yeah, aware of that. only used CC as had a balance transfer deal going on and buying by CC meant I could postpone repayments
paypal are required by law to give something similar to S75 but are their own adjudicators hence the buyer protection. not an ideal system but the balance is in favour of the buyer so can be a decent option but not if you're the seller
You will have NO buyer protection if the item is cash on collect/collection only.

Can you not get the item delivered to you?
Depends on the item.
I've bought and sold via cash on collection on ebay and similar, but I'm careful and its never anything massively expensive.

EDIT: Forgot to put the process.
From a buyer point of view arrange a public well lit area and take someone with you if possible.
Check the item thoroughly, if its electronic turn it on check it works, check for damage, check for any signs of it being fake and general condition.
Once your happy with the item make the payment and get a receipt, even if its just a piece of scrap paper get something.
Job done.

The sale will be final, don't expect any warranty or returns to the seller. The receipt is to cover yourself nothing more.

Edited by: "joedastudd" 28th Sep 2015
I've bought and sold in this situation. As with anything use common sense - if you are collecting it and paying cash on collection you should be allowed some time with the product to check it over etc. and make sure that everything works fine.

I've sold phones / laptops in the past in this manner and always been happy for the person to spend time with it before they hand over the cash. There is an element of risk, but use some common sense and you'll be fine. If anything does smell fishy though walk away, you should be able to spot a scam.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants