eBay Condition, pictures vs description?

Posted 29th May 2020
Can I please have some eBay buying/selling advice please? It’s not like I’m new to this, been on eBay for over 15 years. I just feel buyers and sellers expectations and rights have evolved over time.

When buying on eBay, given that pictures can be selective or poor. While at the same time the description can be ambiguous.

What would you say was more accurate to gauge the condition of a purchase on eBay before taking the plunge?

If it arrives and isn’t quite what you had in your head. What do you enforce the condition on, pictures or description?

On the flip side. What do you feel most confident in using to convey the condition of something you’re selling?

I’m planning on listing a few items and making a few largish purchases and don’t want to get stung, with errors on my behalf.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Both
Feedback... or simply a message, add to watch list and then go back to ebay watch list and message them.. say sorry I don't want to waste your time sending it as I am looking for good condition can you confirm if there is scratches ect ect... if they dont reply then dont buy simples
Gumbon29/05/2020 08:58

Feedback... or simply a message, add to watch list and then go back to …Feedback... or simply a message, add to watch list and then go back to ebay watch list and message them.. say sorry I don't want to waste your time sending it as I am looking for good condition can you confirm if there is scratches ect ect... if they dont reply then dont buy simples

I see your point. My concern is what if they disclose damage but aren’t very specific.
I’m willing to buy used but everyone’s definition of fair, good, excellent and like new varies.
Would a phone with a scratched back but perfect screen be excellent?
What about a laptop with described as having scratches on the lid and base, with the top pictured. To have it delivered and find a deep gouge, that doesn’t interfere with functionality on the underside. Would that be as described?
Oneday7729/05/2020 09:19

I see your point. My concern is what if they disclose damage but aren’t v …I see your point. My concern is what if they disclose damage but aren’t very specific. I’m willing to buy used but everyone’s definition of fair, good, excellent and like new varies. Would a phone with a scratched back but perfect screen be excellent? What about a laptop with described as having scratches on the lid and base, with the top pictured. To have it delivered and find a deep gouge, that doesn’t interfere with functionality on the underside. Would that be as described?

thing I've realised with ebay over time is its a complete punt, the buyer can get away with murder, your best bet is to count up the costs of the ebay fees + paypal fees + Postage fees and then take that cost off your price and then a little bit more and sell it on facebook marketplace.

I only sell on ebay nowadays when first its £1 selling fee and second the item is not something that is likely to be bought on facebook.

If you do sell if low price go with myhermes, if high cost go for royal mail tracked next day special delivery (to claim you sometimes need proof of purchase) so check the Tac's

million of pounds is spent on extended compensations on postage when the place would of never paid out if it did get lost.
If in doubt, always send a message to request details of any marks, damage etc.

In my own experience, if a buyer complains about an item not being as described, eBay always sides with the buyer and forces the seller to accept a return and pay for the return postage.
Gumbon29/05/2020 09:41

thing I've realised with ebay over time is its a complete punt, the buyer …thing I've realised with ebay over time is its a complete punt, the buyer can get away with murder, your best bet is to count up the costs of the ebay fees + paypal fees + Postage fees and then take that cost off your price and then a little bit more and sell it on facebook marketplace.I only sell on ebay nowadays when first its £1 selling fee and second the item is not something that is likely to be bought on facebook.If you do sell if low price go with myhermes, if high cost go for royal mail tracked next day special delivery (to claim you sometimes need proof of purchase) so check the Tac'smillion of pounds is spent on extended compensations on postage when the place would of never paid out if it did get lost.

I’ve been using Facebook more and more recently and it’s been much less hassle. As you say somethings just won’t necessarily have a local market.
If I do sell on eBay it’s. Normally low value with free postage. Even then I might do signed for a state that in listing, to help discourage the, ‘It didn’t arrive chancers’.

Higher value I always use special delivery, again normally included in price. Helps me gauge if Facebook would have been a better option for the net result.
sane4sure29/05/2020 09:46

If in doubt, always send a message to request details of any marks, damage …If in doubt, always send a message to request details of any marks, damage etc. In my own experience, if a buyer complains about an item not being as described, eBay always sides with the buyer and forces the seller to accept a return and pay for the return postage.

I probably will start asking for more details on damage.
Also thinking that if the description doesn’t tally with the pictures or seems to but not reality. I’ll look to push back even if I don’t initially see something on a listing image.
Which also forces me to be more descriptive with my own items. Which I normally do anyway.
Oneday7729/05/2020 09:51

I’ve been using Facebook more and more recently and it’s been much less has …I’ve been using Facebook more and more recently and it’s been much less hassle. As you say somethings just won’t necessarily have a local market. If I do sell on eBay it’s. Normally low value with free postage. Even then I might do signed for a state that in listing, to help discourage the, ‘It didn’t arrive chancers’. Higher value I always use special delivery, again normally included in price. Helps me gauge if Facebook would have been a better option for the net result.

Something I find annoying about ebay is the type of people that are either ignorant or just not aware of how ebay works.

Mainly electronic items I'm talking here, because when people buy electronics they don't do enough research on the product and will usually not like the item and want to send it back, they will then claim an issue so they don't have to pay return postage

The reason they do this is mainly at fault from big companies who offer ''free returns'' people have acustom to this and the thought of paying £3 to return and item they wrongly researched horrors them, they use this snide tactic not thinking about the small seller.

The small seller has no choice but to accept the ''false'' claim the buyer comes up with and then is in the dilema of , I've already paid £3 to post it, now gunna cost me £3 to get it back £6 to get back an item that is ''faulty''

The seller at this post has no idea if the claim is real or fake and then has to take a gamble to pay the £6 back, and if the item is less then lets say £30, you might not bother... they will just refund and buyer keeps it..... now the buyer has a taste of how to get things for free..

Low and behold, this idea of buying stuff and making the seller give refunds is now plagued with them over the years ebay has not tackled this type of behaviour.

-

Because I know about this tactic, I am very good and weeding people out on it, and if it happens I stop up the costs on principal.

Ebay do have a warning system in place for people doing this but the limit is pretty high and as most sellers are scared to report it they are never caught, this system only works if BUYERs go through the ebay returns proccess, so many buyers will message you directly trying for a refund, in this case just let the buyer know he needs to open a returns dispute... many might even not bother at that point as some understand the proccess and might have already got a warning from ebay.

Would a phone with a scratched back but perfect screen be excellent?

Not unless they were very light scratches, the sort that are only visible under certain lighting.

Something in excellent condition is an example that's in better condition than most. So for a typical phone that's one which has been kept in a case and has only minor wear marks or damage only noticeable upon close examination.

Unless they're stating their own definition/scale for condition in which case it should match that.

What about a laptop with described as having scratches on the lid and …What about a laptop with described as having scratches on the lid and base, with the top pictured. To have it delivered and find a deep gouge, that doesn’t interfere with functionality on the underside. Would that be as described?

Tricky, but from your description I'd put that one under buyer beware rather than the seller being outright misleading.

If the buyer has made an attempt to show the condition of the laptop with close ups the scratches but left out the largest one that would be misleading, but a photo or two to show the general look of the laptop and having the damage stated in the description is acceptable. If the buyer wants to know further details of the damage they should ask.

Basically don't state or imply that the condition is better than it is.
To me, if the seller describes the damage and have no pictures of it, this is still fair. You can easily ask for photos of the damage if you are that concerned about it and I am sure the seller will oblige.

But as others have said, ebay will always side with the buyer so the seller is screwed and at a loss in any scenario.
I rarely trust listings with stock photos

and if the description is very sparse, I’ll always ask questions, sometimes a lot of questions
I take a lot of photos from various angles and in thr description put see photos. the buyer can make up their own mind.
to me, this is due to boxes that were damaged by courier while being delivered to me rather than a used item.
Mendoza29/05/2020 12:12

I rarely trust listings with stock photosand if the description is very …I rarely trust listings with stock photosand if the description is very sparse, I’ll always ask questions, sometimes a lot of questions

Yeah I rarely look at anything with a stock photo. If that’s the listing attitude then it tends to reflect on the item.
AMaky29/05/2020 13:08

I take a lot of photos from various angles and in thr description put see …I take a lot of photos from various angles and in thr description put see photos. the buyer can make up their own mind.to me, this is due to boxes that were damaged by courier while being delivered to me rather than a used item.

Still doesn’t make everything clear. Though you need a balance somewhere.
AMaky29/05/2020 13:08

I take a lot of photos from various angles and in thr description put see …I take a lot of photos from various angles and in thr description put see photos. the buyer can make up their own mind.to me, this is due to boxes that were damaged by courier while being delivered to me rather than a used item.

I’m not a fan of ‘see photos’ description

but each to their own
Mendoza29/05/2020 15:37

I’m not a fan of ‘see photos’ description but each to their own

photos tell a story.
description is someone else's opinion.

besides if i ever buy from facebook, i always nosey on their profile as more information from photos.
AMaky29/05/2020 15:39

photos tell a story.description is someone else's opinion. besides if i …photos tell a story.description is someone else's opinion. besides if i ever buy from facebook, i always nosey on their profile as more information from photos.

I guess then, it would depend on the item, right?

for instance, you’re selling a stereo, you would write a description?
I lean towards. Here are the photos. They depict the worst of any condition. Any other marks are inconsequential and not easy to see in pictures. Aim for the worst but still always wary of the unscrupulous.
Mendoza29/05/2020 15:51

I guess then, it would depend on the item, right? for instance, …I guess then, it would depend on the item, right? for instance, you’re selling a stereo, you would write a description?

yeah my items are non electronic
Post a comment
@
    Text