Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Ebay delivery I don’t want!

Posted 19th Mar
Hi, I’ve bought a large item from eBay, but subsequently found it significantly cheaper elsewhere, so I messaged the seller but they didn’t reply until the next day, which time they’ve marked it as dispatched! My question is, should I refuse delivery of the item and if I do this, will I have to pay return costs? I don’t want to accept the item because it will probably cost me more than the cost of the item to return it using my own courier etc! Any help appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair enough but even if you do refuse the item you should pay delivery costs its your fault not the sellers, they have costs as well.
Ringfinger19/03/2020 09:12

You may have created a problem by messaging them. You now can't use any of …You may have created a problem by messaging them. You now can't use any of the snad/ damaged etc excuses, as they can prove you changed your mind. But it was the right thing to do.

Disgusting behaviour
freakstyler19/03/2020 10:09

Poor performance on the sellers part, they’ve created a rod for their own b …Poor performance on the sellers part, they’ve created a rod for their own back by ignoring the OP’s request to cancel – perhaps they should have opened an official dispute or cancellation request instead of messaging.Nothing stopping the OP from refusing delivery, assuming it requires a signature. If it doesn’t require a signature though, if it were me I would probably accept it and ask the seller to arrange collection at my conveneince seeing as they notified them before it was dispatched that the item was no longer required.

That's a bit harsh on the seller. We don't know how long after buying the item it was that he decided he wanted to cancel or what time they would have seen the message. If say he bought the item in the morning and it was then labelled up and put in to dispatch, and then he messaged them to cancel after office hours time then I don't think that you can accuse the seller of doing anything wrong in that kind of scenario.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 19th Mar
iliketodeal19/03/2020 11:06

I ordered at 11am.. and messaged at 3pm.. and the seller marked it …I ordered at 11am.. and messaged at 3pm.. and the seller marked it despatched at 730pm

Well that's 4 hours from when you ordered to when you messaged them, and they might not have even seen it until later on. Even though they marked it as dispatched at 7.30pm it could actually have already been sent out much earlier than that.
33 Comments
How much is "significantly cheaper"?
Is it from a business or individual?
You may have created a problem by messaging them. You now can't use any of the snad/ damaged etc excuses, as they can prove you changed your mind. But it was the right thing to do.
u66454119/03/2020 09:03

How much is "significantly cheaper"?

The item is 300£ and I’ve found it for half the price because it was on sale

You may have created a problem by messaging them. You now can't use any of …You may have created a problem by messaging them. You now can't use any of the snad/ damaged etc excuses, as they can prove you changed your mind. But it was the right thing to do.

Oh! So much for being honest!
If you have PayPal returns on us then use that to return it?

Avoiding the delivery is more likely to create more problems I would say.
If you refuse delivery you are not responsible for return costs. You should receive a full refund. Any problems then open up an item not received claim.
notalwaysright1919/03/2020 09:27

If you have PayPal returns on us then use that to return it?Avoiding the …If you have PayPal returns on us then use that to return it?Avoiding the delivery is more likely to create more problems I would say.

You can only claim £15 in returns fee; and my item is a heavy goods item which will probably cost around 50-100£ to return!
donster19/03/2020 09:27

If you refuse delivery you are not responsible for return costs. You …If you refuse delivery you are not responsible for return costs. You should receive a full refund. Any problems then open up an item not received claim.

Oh ok.. I guess right now thy ya is my only option so I will have to do that and hope for the best!
donster19/03/2020 09:27

If you refuse delivery you are not responsible for return costs. You …If you refuse delivery you are not responsible for return costs. You should receive a full refund. Any problems then open up an item not received claim.

Big can of worms... if seller can prove delivery attempted and show message asking to cancel after dispatch then they are likely to win any dispute.
Maybe OP could ask for a refund of part of the difference?
Ringfinger19/03/2020 09:42

Big can of worms... if seller can prove delivery attempted and show …Big can of worms... if seller can prove delivery attempted and show message asking to cancel after dispatch then they are likely to win any dispute. Maybe OP could ask for a refund of part of the difference?

Oh gosh..!

Big can of worms... if seller can prove delivery attempted and show …Big can of worms... if seller can prove delivery attempted and show message asking to cancel after dispatch then they are likely to win any dispute. Maybe OP could ask for a refund of part of the difference?

BS
The OP is entitled to full refund for changing mind up to 14 days. Refusing drlivery means no return postage to pay. Any tracking will show he did not receive the item but that should not even be an issue.
Poor performance on the sellers part, they’ve created a rod for their own back by ignoring the OP’s request to cancel – perhaps they should have opened an official dispute or cancellation request instead of messaging.

Nothing stopping the OP from refusing delivery, assuming it requires a signature. If it doesn’t require a signature though, if it were me I would probably accept it and ask the seller to arrange collection at my conveneince seeing as they notified them before it was dispatched that the item was no longer required.
donster19/03/2020 09:50

The OP is entitled to full refund for changing mind up to 14 days. …The OP is entitled to full refund for changing mind up to 14 days. Refusing drlivery means no return postage to pay. Any tracking will show he did not receive the item but that should not even be an issue.

Thanks, I hope that is the case!

Poor performance on the sellers part, they’ve created a rod for their own b …Poor performance on the sellers part, they’ve created a rod for their own back by ignoring the OP’s request to cancel – perhaps they should have opened an official dispute or cancellation request instead of messaging.Nothing stopping the OP from refusing delivery, assuming it requires a signature. If it doesn’t require a signature though, if it were me I would probably accept it and ask the seller to arrange collection at my conveneince seeing as they notified them before it was dispatched that the item was no longer required.

I guess I will do that; refuse delivery and then if they try to claim return costs I will dispute and hopefully that will be in my favour!

That's a bit harsh on the seller. We don't know how long after buying the item it was that he decided he wanted to cancel or what time they would have seen the message. If say he bought the item in the morning and it was then labelled up and put in to dispatch, and then he messaged them to cancel after office hours time then I don't think that you can accuse the seller of doing anything wrong in that kind of scenario.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 19th Mar
Refuse delivery and the courier will return it to the sender is the normal process. If you accept delivery then you will be liable for the return.
Haircut_10019/03/2020 10:42

That's a bit harsh on the seller. We don't know how long after buying the …That's a bit harsh on the seller. We don't know how long after buying the item it was that he decided he wanted to cancel or what time they would have seen the message. If say he bought the item in the morning and it was then labelled up and put in to dispatch, and then he messaged them to cancel after office hours time then I don't think that you can accuse the seller of doing anything wrong in that kind of scenario.

I ordered at 11am.. and messaged at 3pm.. and the seller marked it despatched at 730pm
I seem to recall seeing posts on here where the HUKDer is selling something and a buyer has asked to cancel. Exactly the same as this from the other point of view. The buyer got slated. People can be fickle.
iliketodeal19/03/2020 11:06

I ordered at 11am.. and messaged at 3pm.. and the seller marked it …I ordered at 11am.. and messaged at 3pm.. and the seller marked it despatched at 730pm

Well that's 4 hours from when you ordered to when you messaged them, and they might not have even seen it until later on. Even though they marked it as dispatched at 7.30pm it could actually have already been sent out much earlier than that.
iliketodeal19/03/2020 10:18

I guess I will do that; refuse delivery and then if they try to claim …I guess I will do that; refuse delivery and then if they try to claim return costs I will dispute and hopefully that will be in my favour!

What do you want to dispute? Buyer is responsible for return shipping except otherwise mentioned.

Disgusting behaviour

I thought distance selling rules protected the buyer? Even if they lose postage fees, they'll save a nice sum.
Could you not have telephoned them? Their full details would be on the eBay page as they are a business. It would probably show as despatching/ed as they would probably have contacted the courier company to collect as and when.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 19th Mar
Ringfinger19/03/2020 11:22

I seem to recall seeing posts on here where the HUKDer is selling …I seem to recall seeing posts on here where the HUKDer is selling something and a buyer has asked to cancel. Exactly the same as this from the other point of view. The buyer got slated. People can be fickle.

Depends which way the wind is blowing I'm amazed how many are backing the buyer here! Make a mistake-take it on the chin and don't make it someone else's problem!
Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair enough but even if you do refuse the item you should pay delivery costs its your fault not the sellers, they have costs as well.
zackariah19/03/2020 15:29

Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair …Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair enough but even if you do refuse the item you should pay delivery costs its your fault not the sellers, they have costs as well.

Exactly
zackariah19/03/2020 15:29

Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair …Speaking as both a seller and a buyer if you have changed your mind fair enough but even if you do refuse the item you should pay delivery costs its your fault not the sellers, they have costs as well.

With current situation the merchant will have probably ceased trading prior to getting around to implementing a refund.
Send it back and cover the shipping costs, don’t think it would be fair to reject it and the seller is out of pocket
iliketodeal19/03/2020 09:20

The item is 300£ and I’ve found it for half the price because it was on sa …The item is 300£ and I’ve found it for half the price because it was on sale

Loo roll?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants