eBay dispute

Posted 8th Jan
hi all, I bought a mobile phone on eBay last week. due to a family emergency it took me a few days to pay but I sorted the invoice out on Sunday night. I've messaged the seller a few times now to see when they're sending the item, he eventually replied last night to say he'd definitely send it today but there's still no tracking number and no response to a message I've sent in the last hour.

how long is reasonable to wait before I raise a dispute? in addition, how long would it take to get a refund if indeed it came to that?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get annoyed if it's not sent straight away? For all you know it was arranged for them to sell it and go to the post office to send it on the day they had off (after the sale). You inconvenienced them... and now want to hastily open a case when the shoe is on the other foot?

I hate buyers like you to be honest.
He may have had a family emergency.
u66454108/01/2020 22:51

I was going to say the same thing........... maybe in a nicer way though

Meh, Sometimes you just have to tell it how it is. Especially when I sell on eBay myself and know exactly what it's like.
44 Comments
It’s early days yet if he replyed saying he will send it today then I would wait until Sunday to raise a dispute. Once a dispute is opened the seller gets one week to reply with a refund/ replacement if he does not reply within that date request eBay to step in to get your refund
Dylan_Smith13508/01/2020 22:40

It’s early days yet if he replyed saying he will send it today then I w …It’s early days yet if he replyed saying he will send it today then I would wait until Sunday to raise a dispute. Once a dispute is opened the seller gets one week to reply with a refund/ replacement if he does not reply within that date request eBay to step in to get your refund

Perfect, thanks for the response. I know I'm being impatient BTW but if someone tells me they're going to do something I don't think it's unreasonable to see it through
Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get annoyed if it's not sent straight away? For all you know it was arranged for them to sell it and go to the post office to send it on the day they had off (after the sale). You inconvenienced them... and now want to hastily open a case when the shoe is on the other foot?

I hate buyers like you to be honest.
He may have had a family emergency.
dbizal08/01/2020 22:50

Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get …Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get annoyed if it's not sent straight away? For all you know it was arranged for them to sell it and go to the post office to send it on the day they had off (after the sale). You inconvenienced them... and now want to hastily open a case when the shoe is on the other foot? I hate buyers like you to be honest.

u66454108/01/2020 22:51

Meh, Sometimes you just have to tell it how it is. Especially when I sell on eBay myself and know exactly what it's like.
Harsh truth ^^^^

Anyway, I would wait the same length of time it took for you to pay since the listing ended before you decide to open up a case. Maybe the seller is a little disgruntled and is now making you wait the same length of time?
Zero.Chill08/01/2020 23:21

Harsh truth ^^^^Anyway, I would wait the same length of time it took for …Harsh truth ^^^^Anyway, I would wait the same length of time it took for you to pay since the listing ended before you decide to open up a case. Maybe the seller is a little disgruntled and is now making you wait the same length of time?

I suspect that is exactly the case but as I said, I did have a family emergency and that takes precedence over everything else
dbizal08/01/2020 22:50

Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get …Well... considering you didn't pay for it straight away, how can you get annoyed if it's not sent straight away? For all you know it was arranged for them to sell it and go to the post office to send it on the day they had off (after the sale). You inconvenienced them... and now want to hastily open a case when the shoe is on the other foot? I hate buyers like you to be honest.

I agree though a bit harshly started but if that's the case then it seems a bit daft to message me saying it was being posted Wednesday
Hammerheads2908/01/2020 23:26

I suspect that is exactly the case but as I said, I did have a family …I suspect that is exactly the case but as I said, I did have a family emergency and that takes precedence over everything else

Completely understand but the seller won’t be aware of this.
Fair point well made
Hammerheads2908/01/2020 22:44

Perfect, thanks for the response. I know I'm being impatient BTW but if …Perfect, thanks for the response. I know I'm being impatient BTW but if someone tells me they're going to do something I don't think it's unreasonable to see it through

I'd think that by the same token if someone clicks Buy It Now to purchase an item or wins an auction then it's not unreasonable to expect them to "see it through" and pay for the item straight away rather than leaving it did a few days. I don't really understand how you can get angry at selling for possibly leaving you waiting a few days for dispatch when you've admitted yourself to leaving them waiting a few days before paying for your item in the first place. Just curious though, during this family emergency you did message the seller to tell them that it would be a few extra days before you paid them, right?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 9th Jan
You say you contacted him and he said he'd send it 'today' but still no tracking number. Hardly surprising really, he takes it to post office and pays it. Pay office update their system overnight and you get a tracking number tomorrow (or he's got the tracking number but gone straight to work /pub from posting it, and not sent it to you yet). The other scenario is - he's contacted courier and they've yet to pick it up.
Give him /the courier /post office a chance. Many scenarios where it is posted but no tracking generated yet.
Haircut_10008/01/2020 23:49

I'd think that by the same token if someone clicks Buy It Now to purchase …I'd think that by the same token if someone clicks Buy It Now to purchase an item or wins an auction then it's not unreasonable to expect them to "see it through" and pay for the item straight away rather than leaving it did a few days. I don't really understand how you can get angry at selling for possibly leaving you waiting a few days for dispatch when you've admitted yourself to leaving them waiting a few days before paying for your item in the first place. Just curious though, during this family emergency you did message the seller to tell them that it would be a few extra days before you paid them, right?

If he did message the seller that would take longer to do than to actually pay for the item. I find it difficult to believe that he couldn't find 30 seconds to pay for it, to be honest (unless he was dragging it out until he had the money, in which case I have no sympathy)
"no response to a message I've sent in the last hour."

Some businesses take 2 days to do more than auto-respond to an email/message so an hour isn't worth a mention.

Some people are very quick to blame anything for their lack of action.
One seller took a week to refund me and I'm quite patient but in the end I opened a case.
I did message him after 3 or 4 days and he said he'd sort it then nothing happened for a day or two and at that point I felt he'd had enough time.
So eBay refunded me pretty quickly and he messaged me after that to say he hadn't been able to refund me because there was a case open, as if it was my fault! Jesus.
Left him neutral feedback and explained exactly what happened and then about 6 to 8 weeks later I get an official request from him via eBay to change the feedback because he wanted to 'have a 100% positive record'.
I almost wish I'd left him a neg now, the clown.

I left another clown a neutral feedback last year which is rare for me and he left me a positive feedback saying I was a terrible person because I'd been unsympathetic to his lame excuse for taking a week to post an item.
In this case maybe I really should have left him a neg but I very rarely do that.
eBay just removed his feedback comment but the +1 positive stayed on my account.
Justice really.
Seller's steady away, didn't check 'require immediate payment on checkout'
Hammerheads2908/01/2020 23:28

I agree though a bit harshly started but if that's the case then it seems …I agree though a bit harshly started but if that's the case then it seems a bit daft to message me saying it was being posted Wednesday

Maybe it was posted yesterday and the seller just hasn't immediately updated the tracking info

I never give the buyer tracking info as sometimes royal mail don't update it so buyer has an easy claim against me after delivery
Edited by: "chocci" 9th Jan
Depending on how the eBay account is set up, I believe it is not always possible to add a tracking number from a phone. Plus perhaps it is still Wednesday half day closing where he lives!
I bought a new ipad from ebay the other day, no tracking info, but received it on a before 1pm service the next day, costing the buyer over £8. Just wait, like you made him wait.

There is really no excuse for not paying for an item the day you purchase it. eBay and Paypal are on our phones and this can be done within about 15seconds. Any time of the day.

I'd have just refunded you personally and relisted the item.
Hammerheads2908/01/2020 23:26

I suspect that is exactly the case but as I said, I did have a family …I suspect that is exactly the case but as I said, I did have a family emergency and that takes precedence over everything else

May be seller has a family emergency which he would prioritize over everything else like you did!

What postal service did seller mention in his listing? Unless he has said its a tracked service
vassy2i09/01/2020 07:17

May be seller has a family emergency which he would prioritize over …May be seller has a family emergency which he would prioritize over everything else like you did! What postal service did seller mention in his listing? Unless he has said its a tracked service

That's entirely feasible yeah. He said he was using royal mail in the listing
dbizal08/01/2020 22:52

Meh, Sometimes you just have to tell it how it is. Especially when I sell …Meh, Sometimes you just have to tell it how it is. Especially when I sell on eBay myself and know exactly what it's like.

The ones I hate are those that are asking questions about the item right up until end, put in a winning bid and then for some reason don't pay for 24 hours. I mean you were literally watching the timer and asking questions, get it paid so I can get it sent out and get on with my day!
Hammerheads2909/01/2020 07:19

That's entirely feasible yeah. He said he was using royal mail in the …That's entirely feasible yeah. He said he was using royal mail in the listing

Could be just royal mail 1st class or 2nd class delivery service. Not all service by royal mail has a tracking number
Edited by: "vassy2i" 9th Jan
vassy2i09/01/2020 07:43

Could be just royal mail 1st class or 2nd class delivery service. Not all …Could be just royal mail 1st class or 2nd class delivery service. Not all service by royal mail has a tracking number

Gotcha
Ringfinger09/01/2020 00:38

If he did message the seller that would take longer to do than to actually …If he did message the seller that would take longer to do than to actually pay for the item. I find it difficult to believe that he couldn't find 30 seconds to pay for it, to be honest (unless he was dragging it out until he had the money, in which case I have no sympathy)

I'm wondering if the OP had some family emergency (as he puts it) and knowing that he was going to be away from his house over the next few days deliberately chose to not pay for the item in the hope of stalling the delivery on the item until a time more convenient for him to be at home. If so he has some cheek then complaining about the seller not sending the item out instantly after payment received!
Haircut_10009/01/2020 09:59

I'm wondering if the OP had some family emergency (as he puts it) and …I'm wondering if the OP had some family emergency (as he puts it) and knowing that he was going to be away from his house over the next few days deliberately chose to not pay for the item in the hope of stalling the delivery on the item until a time more convenient for him to be at home. If so he has some cheek then complaining about the seller not sending the item out instantly after payment received!

That wasn't the case no. Honestly in future I'll just post with minimal words or not at all. Maybe I should have just said "how long do I leave it before I raise a grievance with eBay". Sigh.
I bet the sellers inbox got hammered. What's your eBay ID please.
Hammerheads2909/01/2020 10:07

That wasn't the case no. Honestly in future I'll just post with minimal …That wasn't the case no. Honestly in future I'll just post with minimal words or not at all. Maybe I should have just said "how long do I leave it before I raise a grievance with eBay". Sigh.

Pandora's box, I'm afraid.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get your item. This thread will be a distant memory (for all) next week.
MR112309/01/2020 10:10

I bet the sellers inbox got hammered. What's your eBay ID please.

Erm, why do you need that mate?
Phsycronix09/01/2020 10:16

Pandora's box, I'm afraid.Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get your item. This …Pandora's box, I'm afraid.Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get your item. This thread will be a distant memory (for all) next week.

Pandora's box...always reminds me of Notting Hill

That wasn't the case no. Honestly in future I'll just post with minimal …That wasn't the case no. Honestly in future I'll just post with minimal words or not at all. Maybe I should have just said "how long do I leave it before I raise a grievance with eBay". Sigh.

To be honest I think it's better that you explained the situation in full (to our knowledge), this way you got the correct response Rather than being told to just open up a case willy nilly against the seller without us knowing all the details.

Hopefully you get the item soon and you and the seller can move on.

I know this probably isn't the response you wanted, but remember this is the internet lol.
After 1 day waiting you are already thinking of raising a claim! Stick to companies next time
Misslovely09/01/2020 10:57

After 1 day waiting you are already thinking of raising a claim! Stick to …After 1 day waiting you are already thinking of raising a claim! Stick to companies next time

Actually it's 4 days and this is a mobile phone company. I'm preempting, I never said I was raising a claim immediately. Bloody hell.
eBay and Paypal are on our phones. Er NO
Bankings Apps NO
Phone lost or found by villain .. no big worry
Postage ? Hell its post-xmas .. all the posties , get a big pasty and put up their giant flat feet for days ..
Everybody knows you have to open a dispute if they don't reply to you within 1 hour.
Negative feedback if you don't receive your goods within 24 hours though.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 9th Jan
Ok will everyone just behave now, my query has been taken completely out of context
MR112309/01/2020 10:24

So I can block you from buying anything from me

Class

I think 1 week is fair enough for UK mail and 4 weeks for China. Really doubt someone isn't going too send you a phone on eBay if they have decent feedback and use eBay regularly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions