eBay Ditching Paypal in the Next Few Years - "eBay to Intermediate Payments on its Marketplace Platform"

Found 1st Feb
Got the following message from them:

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email paymentsinfouk@ebay.com

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Kris Beyens,

VP & COO eBay EMEA

-----------------------------------------------------

I guess they are missing the PayPal fee income.

More info:

ebayinc.com/sto…rm/
Community Updates
Ebay new payment method heads up!

customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email paymentsinfouk@ebay.com.

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Kris Beyens,
VP & COO eBay EMEA
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
30 Comments
Well blow me down with a feather duster
Always thought that one was until death us do part.
Another reason added not to use eBay
Not sure I like this , at least Paypal seems to have a reasonable payment protection service (you lose your Sec75 CC protection when you pay through an intermediary eg Paypal ) .

So you will also lose your Sec 75 protection if using Adyen (when it comes in ) - but will Adyen be as good as Paypal for payment protection ?

Will follow with interest .
rogparki13 m ago

Not sure I like this , at least Paypal seems to have a reasonable payment …Not sure I like this , at least Paypal seems to have a reasonable payment protection service (you lose your Sec75 CC protection when you pay through an intermediary eg Paypal ) .So you will also lose your Sec 75 protection if using Adyen (when it comes in ) - but will Adyen be as good as Paypal for payment protection ?Will follow with interest .

i expect this is some sort of dodge involving legislation, paypal is close to becoming a fully blown credit company with its new service so those questions are very relevent.
hmm wonder what the motivation is...

The move is also expected to eventually add $2 billion of revenue to the eBay business, because the company will start to charge eBay sellers for the payments service; today, PayPal does.

recode.net/201…ent
Original Poster
davewave1st Feb

hmm wonder what the motivation is...The move is also expected to …hmm wonder what the motivation is...The move is also expected to eventually add $2 billion of revenue to the eBay business, because the company will start to charge eBay sellers for the payments service; today, PayPal does.https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement

That was precisely the first thing that popped into my head too. I doubt very much it's about saving us fees as suggested in their message.
Always thought the were pretty much the same company ?

Did Ebay sell them off at some stage ?

Like Rogi says not sure I like where this is going from a buyers point of view anyway
Wongy1102 m ago

Always thought the were pretty much the same company ?Did Ebay sell them …Always thought the were pretty much the same company ?Did Ebay sell them off at some stage ?Like Rogi says not sure I like where this is going from a buyers point of view anyway

A little over three years ago now: theguardian.com/tec…any
This will also have something to do with the new Open Banking regulations.

By 'Open', they mean you getting data raped. And, regrettably, 'rape' is not too strong a word.

Its called becoming an Account Information Service Provider (AISP). They will hide the small print in a new User agreement but essentially, you will authorise them to gather ALL data from your bank(s). ALL your Direct Debit data. ALL you personal payment data. How much. When. Who to.

The idea is that they can offer you competitive services that you will want. Like new loans, PPI, insurance, pensions etc etc.

Caveat Emptor. It will be stealthy and done before we know it.
I was already going to stop using eBay at the end of this month, so this confirms my decision.
One of the many possible reasons is so buyers will find it quicker to buy and dont have to leave ebay to make outside payments, all payments will be going through Ebay this time and Ebay will charge their own fees just like Etsy do now, (who also use Adyen). Apparently the sellers on Etsy like it as the money goes directly into their bank account however I'm now assuming there will be sellers who like to keep/hide funds in paypal to buy too so sales might drop if Adyen dont hold onto payments like paypal do.
I also read but couldnt find any more info Ebay own Adyen, I dont think they do but it was mentioned so might be worth watching that one. Adyen did get a massive top up from silicon valley so maybe thats who from as well as facebook who use them too. Paypal will still be a payment option but it wont be highlighted as such.
Edited by: "caverncity" 1st Feb
Great news in my opinion.
My one and only experience with PayPal and their protection Policy (TomTop Dashcam deal not received) a few months ago was a total nightmare. It took months to get a refund, I received contradicting messages saying they were going to close my case etc as the seller had uploaded tracking that showed absolutely nothing, they wanted proof from me I hadn't received it etc I toyed with the idea of sending them a picture of an empty windscreen – this happened twice resulting in a couple of phone calls. I try and avoid PayPal if possible, as for ebay I sadly stopped selling long ago and don’t even bother with them for buying due to the site being swamped with baited multi variation listings.
Doesn't eBay take like 10% and PayPal take around 3-5% off our final fees.

I wonder if we would actually save anything going with this new route.

Would eBay than charge us 15% ?
Does PayPal charge eBay anything and then us that 3-5%?
(I.e: eBay gets charged 3% so they charge us 10% and only get a 7% cut).

If the new route has protection for us sellers and it saves us a few quid I won't mind it. If it doesn't. I don't sell things over £50 on eBay now adays anyways.
Original Poster
ccnp4 h, 55 m ago

This will also have something to do with the new Open Banking regulations. …This will also have something to do with the new Open Banking regulations. By 'Open', they mean you getting data raped. And, regrettably, 'rape' is not too strong a word.Its called becoming an Account Information Service Provider (AISP). They will hide the small print in a new User agreement but essentially, you will authorise them to gather ALL data from your bank(s). ALL your Direct Debit data. ALL you personal payment data. How much. When. Who to.The idea is that they can offer you competitive services that you will want. Like new loans, PPI, insurance, pensions etc etc.Caveat Emptor. It will be stealthy and done before we know it.

I don't know anything about this, but the idea fills me with more joy than I can handle in one day. I guess I will have to read up about this at a later date. I'm getting very tired of having to be on the defensive about problems like this.
And the deal is....?
Translation, pulling the dirty on PayPal
So this means we will still get ripped off when selling stuff as with PayPal
cirian197511 m ago

Translation, pulling the dirty on PayPal

Ebay own PayPal so that's not likely

More like another way to get more money out of us
So ebay needs a bigger cut of the profits since selling paypal so goodbye paypal, no deal here and no change to any rules if they won't to keep customers
luvsadealdealdeal7 m ago

Ebay own PayPal so that's not likely More like another way to get more …Ebay own PayPal so that's not likely More like another way to get more money out of us

oh right

PayPal Holdings, Inc.
is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system that supports online money transfers and serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods like checks and money orders. PayPal is one of the world's largest Internet payment companies.[7] The company operates as a payment processor for online vendors, auction sites and other commercial users, for which it charges a small fee in exchange for benefits such as one-click transactions and password memory.

Established in 1998,[8] PayPal had its initial public offering in 2002, and became a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay later that year.[9][10]

In 2014, eBay announced plans to spin-off PayPal into an independent company by mid-2015 and this was completed on July 18, 2015.[11]

In 2018, eBay announced that the existing eBay-PayPal agreement will continue until 2023 and that PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today.
luvsadealdealdeal8 m ago

Ebay own PayPal so that's not likely More like another way to get more …Ebay own PayPal so that's not likely More like another way to get more money out of us

Ebay dont own paypal anymore been like that for a long time
ianjury32 s ago

Ebay dont own paypal anymore been like that for a long time

yeah I know that
Yet more eBay "improving the customer experience" BS. Most of the so called "improving the customer experience" stuff in recent years has only succeeded in annoying this customer. This new payment method is to increase revenue for eBay and nothing else.
Maybe Paypal will now do the opposite and set up their own version of Ebay.
Etadeu11 m ago

Or even better cut rates to entice us to use PayPal
ccnp18 h, 37 m ago

This will also have something to do with the new Open Banking regulations. …This will also have something to do with the new Open Banking regulations. By 'Open', they mean you getting data raped. And, regrettably, 'rape' is not too strong a word.Its called becoming an Account Information Service Provider (AISP). They will hide the small print in a new User agreement but essentially, you will authorise them to gather ALL data from your bank(s). ALL your Direct Debit data. ALL you personal payment data. How much. When. Who to.The idea is that they can offer you competitive services that you will want. Like new loans, PPI, insurance, pensions etc etc.Caveat Emptor. It will be stealthy and done before we know it.

Not if i close my account. They forced me to use paypal. If they insist i have to join to make transactions then my dealings with ebay will be finished.
Original Poster
Etadeu4 h, 53 m ago

I'd like that to that to happen, a bit of competition would be great! I won't hold my breath though.
Anon322nd Feb

Not if i close my account. They forced me to use paypal. If they insist i …Not if i close my account. They forced me to use paypal. If they insist i have to join to make transactions then my dealings with ebay will be finished.

I'm the same. In the last year eBay upped their own fees so as a business seller, most electronics I sold was 5% FFV up to a max of £20.....so a £1000 laptop or desktop would incur a £20 fee, that is now 6% or £24, whichever comes first. I know it doesn't sound a lot but if their fees are upped once again (which they will) to cover payment fees, that's me done once and for all with them and their greedy mitts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants