eBay etiquette ?

Found 2nd Jun
If you sell on eBay for a item to be collected, do you make the first move ? ie give them your address straight away? Or ask when they want to collect first ? Should buyer be given the address before paying ?Just had a few rude people recently when selling and wondered how to handle them ?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
As the seller, I would recommend you making the first move. I wouldn't sell collection items on eBay though, too easy to get scammed if the buyer says they turned up at your collection address and nobody was there as there is no proof of postage
I normally wait for the buyer to contact me - if I've not heard in a couple of days I'll send them a message.

If collected I ask for cash on collection - saves the Paypal fees and also prevents any "item not received" disputes - so always give my address before payment.

You meet all sorts on ebay - when both buying and selling!
Normally they'll message you saying they have won the bid, workout a day for collection and ask them for their phone number. Say you will text them your address the day they supposed to pick it up (that's how I normally do it).
When I buy collection items I always try and contact them but sometimes the seller is too quick.

I don't really think it matters. I've collected loads of items and never had a problem.

When buying some people want cash on collection and others want PayPal in advance but if you're selling just decide what you want and tell them.

Agree a date\time and then give them your address. Once they've collected, mark as paid and dispatched.
I have just sold an van and got a very brief message of " send me your address . Thanks" from the winning bidder, no mention of when they wanted to collect , how they were going to pay ?(they haven't played yet )
Maybe it's just the way I do it bit i would be saying when I'd like to collect the van etc ?
ONLY accept cash on collection for pickup items.

Believe me I’ve learned the hard way, both eBay and PayPal will always rule in favour of buyer if they try to scam you and say they haven’t collected the item. Even getting a signature on collection or taking a picture of their id is not enough.
Surely they can't pay until you have given them the address and they have met you in person. If I was the buyer I would ask for the address so I knew how far away it was etc and work out when I could get to the item. As the seller you could preemptively tell them when you are or aren't available to narrow things down for the buyer.
As a seller, I would make the first move and contact them asking when they would like to collect.
By doing this and getting a reply you establish two things; firstly that they are probably a genuine buyer and not someone messing you about, and secondly that they do understand that the item is collection only and is not going to be delivered - many people bid on ebay without reading the listing properly.
Taylor057 h, 52 m ago

I have just sold an van and got a very brief message of " send me your …I have just sold an van and got a very brief message of " send me your address . Thanks" from the winning bidder, no mention of when they wanted to collect , how they were going to pay ?(they haven't played yet )Maybe it's just the way I do it bit i would be saying when I'd like to collect the van etc ?

It’s not the most polite message in the world, nor the rudest. At least they contacted you and said thank you. Maybe they’re just in a rush, maybe they’re foreign & not strong with written English etc.

The good news is they contacted you, I’d suggest you just reply and take things from there.

I hope it goes smoothly
Hi there, 'insert eBay name here', thank you for bidding on my 'insert item here', it is ready for collection from 'insert postcode here', please advise when would be best for collection, my preference would be evening after 5pm, but we can come to another mutual time if that's inconvenient.
As per item description cash on collection is preferred payment method, you can inspect and test item at time of collection to ensure your satisfaction.
Please advise soonest.

Once buyer responds you can give exact address, I find just giving them the postcode is enough for them to know when would be convenient for them to collect as they will know within a couple of miles where you are.

Cash on collection only, do not accept any other method, its not worth the hassle later.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions