Groups

Ebay - explanation please

Please can someone - moderator, poster, anyone - tell me the logic behind this site banning all ebay references. Then we can have a debate.

Thank you.

34 Comments

people would be self promoting all the time.

SuperEd

mikeyp;8117204

+1 HTH

Original Poster

Yes, I can see that would happen, but that happens on here all the time anyway. In the end, it is up to the individual to decide whether the item is a "good deal" or not.

mikeyp;8117204

this-plus the site would become completely unmanagable-can you imagine thousands and thousands of ebay "bargains" being posted? plus its riddled with scammers and conmen.

SuperEd

barky;8117227

this-plus the site would become completely unmanagable-can you imagine … this-plus the site would become completely unmanagable-can you imagine thousands and thousands of ebay "bargains" being posted? plus its riddled with scammers and conmen.

couldnt agree more - it would be hotebaydeals.com :thumbsup:

tbh I wouldnt want ebay deals mixed up with normal retailers as sellers can be hit and miss on there. If they had a separate sub section for these deals then fine. Dont think the mods could manage it tho.

Well it should be stopped altogether then shouldn't it.

Not for one minute suggesting it is but was if this was Paddy Charlies ebay account?

hotukdeals.com/ite…his

I wouldn't mind a specific ebay section where you could post what you thought were hot ebay deals. If you weren't interested in ebay then you wouldn't go in that section.

Original Poster

Many ebay deals are one-offs - i.e. you have to bid if you want it. Anyone considering bidding for an item would be unlikely to be drawing other people's attention to it because that would increase the competition.

There are however, now a majority of items which are fixed price, multiple items - like any high street shop, really, under ebay's new business model.

{trying to answer points in the order they came up, but intervening posts may make that difficult}

Original Poster

greg_68;8117247

Well it should be stopped altogether then shouldn't it.Not for one minute … Well it should be stopped altogether then shouldn't it.Not for one minute suggesting it is but was if this was Paddy Charlies ebay account?http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/633847/where-can-i-get-this

This was part of my thinking in the original post.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8117279

whats likely to be more reliable, an ebay seller with 10k+ positive … whats likely to be more reliable, an ebay seller with 10k+ positive feedback or a deal listed here to a site never used before by anyone

Excellent point. I have seen many "I've been ripped off on Hot UK deals" posts, to be honest. And as far as I know, HotUK has no recourse system like ebay does.

mikeyp;8117246

tbh I wouldnt want ebay deals mixed up with normal retailers as sellers … tbh I wouldnt want ebay deals mixed up with normal retailers as sellers can be hit and miss on there. If they had a separate sub section for these deals then fine.

even in a sub section it isnt "fine" m8-think about it-if I post a deal from asda/amazon/play etc-you KNOW you arent gonna get ripped off dont you? ebay is a complete lottery on that front-every day we hear horror stories of people being conned on ebay-a persons ebay feedback is NO GUARANTEE at all-plenty of them build up feedback on small items then go in for the kill on bigger value items, If people wanna take their chances,then they can go to ebay cant they,do a search and find what they are looking for-dont need thousands of pages of dross being posted here,even in a subsection. How would you ever police self promotion? Self promotion is against the rules of HUKD,plain and simple so its not allowed. Where would the marker of rrp be? would require about 20 more mods and even then it would be a nightmare.

whatsThePoint;8117279

whats likely to be more reliable, an ebay seller with 10k+ positive … whats likely to be more reliable, an ebay seller with 10k+ positive feedback or a deal listed here to a site never used before by anyone

good point m8-but if ebay was allowed it would be all users-not just 10k feedback users.

Banned

whatsThePoint;8117279

TBH "Top rated sellers" can be the worst to deal with if you have an issue, one neg matters not if you have 10000+ fb..........

No can you imagine the amount of crap and spam, self promo, I kind of like the fact HUKD allows the deals of the day from the big sellers who are outlets in their own right, such as littlewoods, but that's where it should stop tbh.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;8117308

I kind of like the fact HUKD allows the deals of the day from the big … I kind of like the fact HUKD allows the deals of the day from the big sellers who are outlets in their own right, such as littlewoods, but that's where it should stop tbh.

So, it's a rule - but it's bendable?

virus;8117316

lol-Im sure you have been here long enough to realise you can debate this till you are blue in the face m8-it wont ever happen-end of. And its not a "bendable rule"-the rule is "no ebay EXCEPT deal of the day"

Banned

virus;8117316

You can't self promo on here, I think I have seen it said somewhere before, that big well know outlet companies can be used, dod kind thing as you have a comeback, it can't be self promo and there tends to be no stock issues as they will have 1000's available on a BIN.

It's just common sense with any old ebay deal, stock ,reliability etc would be an issue, and you would have endless self promo I do believe rules were relaxed to allow big company ebay deals such as schuch/office/argos/littlewoods could be listed. Not many are ever listed though.

May have imagined it though.

Original Poster

barky;8117331

the rule is "no ebay EXCEPT deal of the day"

What's the difference between being able to post "deal of the day" with "major suppliers" and to deals in the ebay outlet shops (run by the same "major suppliers")?

Come on.... follow your own logic.....

virus;8117359

What's the difference between being able to post "deal of the day" with … What's the difference between being able to post "deal of the day" with "major suppliers" and to deals in the ebay outlet shops (run by the same "major suppliers")?Come on.... follow your own logic.....

m8-please understand-Im not having a go,and its not MY logic-its the site rules-I didnt make them,but when I signed up,I knew what they were and am happy to abide by them.

Original Poster

barky;8117383

m8-please understand-Im not having a go,and its not MY logic-its the site … m8-please understand-Im not having a go,and its not MY logic-its the site rules-I didnt make them,but when I signed up,I knew what they were and am happy to abide by them.

Rules change. Usually in response to requests from the "membership". Please remember you are a customer of this site - you earn them money. You have a say.

I have mentioned ebay loads of times. I think you mean selling.
    Personally i dont want this site to turn into an off shoot of ebay and hope the rules remain.

Original Poster

Goofeys Girl;8117430

Personally i dont want this site to turn into an off shoot of ebay and … Personally i dont want this site to turn into an off shoot of ebay and hope the rules remain.

It hasn't turned into an offshoot of Argos. Why would it turn into an offshoot of ebay? Amazon is bigger than ebay - it doesn't dominate HotUk.

Original Poster

Interesting how everything suddenly stopped.....

Banned

virus;8117452

It hasn't turned into an offshoot of Argos. Why would it turn into an … It hasn't turned into an offshoot of Argos. Why would it turn into an offshoot of ebay? Amazon is bigger than ebay - it doesn't dominate HotUk.

It's really quite simple virus, firstly the site would be awash with self promo, items from sellers you could not verify, items from hacked accounts possibly.

Secondly there are the stock issues there are not many sellers on ebay, bar the huge outlets which are allowed to post that could satisfy the stock demand for the exposure on a website such as this.

There are many reasons and tbh I think they have the balance right, allow the deals from the huge outlets, which you have a high street company behind and the associated stock levels.

Most people on here don't want a full on ebay posting, so they have listened as it was suggested huge outlet deals should be allowed, which now are:thinking:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;8117693

It's really quite simple virus, firstly the site would be awash with self … It's really quite simple virus, firstly the site would be awash with self promo, items from sellers you could not verify, items from hacked accounts possibly.

The site wouldn't - an ebay section could get quite busy. There are loads of "unverified" sellers on this site. Ebay has a complaints / refunds procedure. Does this site?

tinkerbell28;8117693

Secondly there are the stock issues there are not many sellers on ebay, … Secondly there are the stock issues there are not many sellers on ebay, bar the huge outlets which are allowed to post that could satisfy the stock demand for the exposure on a website such as this.

So how does that fit in with the typical sort of post you see on here: "My local corner shop has two packets of Hobnobs reduced to 35p, but they might be gone now, please leave me rep" ?

tinkerbell28;8117693

There are many reasons and tbh I think they have the balance right, allow … There are many reasons and tbh I think they have the balance right, allow the deals from the huge outlets, which you have a high street company behind and the associated stock levels.

So - you can post an ebay deal from a large company? Right? Where are these? I shall try posting one.

tinkerbell28;8117693

Most people on here don't want a full on ebay posting, so they have … Most people on here don't want a full on ebay posting, so they have listened as it was suggested huge outlet deals should be allowed, which now are:thinking:

How do you know what most people on here want? I certainly don't. {Insert pointless emoticon here}:santa:

I think both sides are right, it would be good if it wasn't full of self promotion posts, but how would you stop them?

Original Poster

greg_68;8119813

I think both sides are right, it would be good if it wasn't full of self … I think both sides are right, it would be good if it wasn't full of self promotion posts, but how would you stop them?

A deal is a deal. If it's good,it will get positive votes. If someone posts on here that they have a cartload full of horse do-do for sale on ebay then it will get negative votes. The same as with any other deal.

Banned

virus;8117359

What's the difference between being able to post "deal of the day" with … What's the difference between being able to post "deal of the day" with "major suppliers" and to deals in the ebay outlet shops (run by the same "major suppliers")?Come on.... follow your own logic.....

Admin has stated previously that ebay DOTD or any listings appearing on that title page are eligible for listing now.

We'll evaluate the results and make a decision at the relevant time.

virus;8120143

A deal is a deal. If it's good,it will get positive votes. If someone … A deal is a deal. If it's good,it will get positive votes. If someone posts on here that they have a cartload full of horse do-do for sale on ebay then it will get negative votes. The same as with any other deal.

But once people (other than site members) got to know about it then this place would be bombarded with 'free ebay adverts' for their own deals. There would be literally hundreds every minute / hour. Too many for any temp to be judged before it disappeared off the first few pages.

If you could limit it to members posting good deals they had come across on ebay then yes it would be good, however that's in a ideal world.

In reality it would just become a free advertising listing for ebay users.

In my opinion it would be totally wrong to mix eBay deals with other HUKD deals as the mods would be left with a massive policing job trying to control self-promotion and protecting us from scammers.
    You're then left with a possible "market place only" section (with any 'market place' deals - freebay, ebay, Play, amazon etc.) - I wouldn't have any objection to it - wouldn't visit it though...

Original Poster

wombat6025;8120224

I wouldn't have any objection to it - wouldn't visit it though...

That's what consumer choice is all about. At the moment your "choice" is being limited on your behalf.

Original Poster

aScottishBloke;8120186

We'll evaluate the results and make a decision at the relevant time.

The results of what? Who will determine the relevant time - and relevant to what?

Banned

virus;8120347

That's what consumer choice is all about. At the moment your "choice" is … That's what consumer choice is all about. At the moment your "choice" is being limited on your behalf.

What about the choice of the people who don't want it on here?? Everyday there are storys in Misc of scams on Ebay and I for one have never used it and never will.

If you don't like the fact its not on here find some ebay forum and go there. And not trying to be rude by saying that but if you are so annoyed by it go elsewhere as I know if ebay deals started to flood this site I wouldn't use it anymore

Banned

This thread has been done to death 100's of times the general consensus was NO to overall ebay but YES to large companies and their deals of the day/week/month.

This site is NOT ebay, it has fs/t, there is no proterction for scams on here apart from common sense, it does not have a "real" complaints procedure and definately NOT a refund procedure this site is nothing like ebay nor will it ever be, it is there to advertise good deals to it's users, as safely as possible.

The fact is HUKD pull all deals they expect of being scams pretty quickly, ebay would be a nightmare as no way of varifing if deals a real or not, and it would be a huge workload.

At the end of the day if you don't like it use some ebay forums.

virus;8120347

That's what consumer choice is all about. At the moment your "choice" is … That's what consumer choice is all about. At the moment your "choice" is being limited on your behalf.

My choice isn't being limited - I thought I like most others replying on this thread made it clear I didn't want eBay deals. Even if it were possible to filter all market place deals I'd still be concerned that the admin effort in trying to police those deals would compromise the site in other ways.

I think you'll have to accept you're in the minority here and let this thread die peacefully :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions