Ebay faulty item

Posted 19th Sep
Just bought something that is faulty. But the seller sounds a bit iffy. I messaged them first to see what they'd say. I was expecting them to instruct me on how to do a return. But they sent me a funny message offering a partial refund. Their return address on eBay is in China, but the item is dispatched from the UK. So they probably don't want the hassle of a return.

Should I message them back and decline and see what they say, or just request a return by eBay? It's not an expensive item, but it doesn't work and I'd like a refund obviously. But if the seller is acting a bit iffy at this stage, I don't want any hassle over a low priced item. The seller probably thinks this as well, which is why they made an offer for a partial refund instead of arranging for a proper return.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
ra78619/09/2019 06:35

Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product …Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can alsoWe would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.Is that alright for you?We look forward to your reply.Greetings

I would respond:

“I return back the item I must. It works not see you, and I wish not to teach families skills professionally. Sorry refuse will I and you keep must the 3 partial pounds, as wish I to have the full partial pounds for this rubbish receive I from you.”

Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the …Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the message they sent me, and I've Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can alsoWe would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.Is that alright for you?We look forward to your reply.Greetings

Come on tell us what the product is please. After their advise I'm thinking Fleshlight.
Edited by: "666FU" 19th Sep
16 Comments
Raise a case with EBay and use their returns label. Take pictures of the issue and attach them to the case.

I just did this in the last month with a cctv camera that was supposed to be new, when I tested it the whole image was pink and fluffy. Was hilarious. It got refunded no problem.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 19th Sep
38496981-seGBM.jpg
Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the message they sent me, and I've just ended up deleting the post! Can't remember what I'd written. So I've redone it. Anyway, this is the message they'd sent me:

Sorry for the inconveniences.
You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can also
We would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.
Is that alright for you?
We look forward to your reply.
Greetings
I would open a faulty item case with eBay. You will get a full refund.

Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product …Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can alsoWe would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.Is that alright for you?We look forward to your reply.Greetings

I would respond:

“I return back the item I must. It works not see you, and I wish not to teach families skills professionally. Sorry refuse will I and you keep must the 3 partial pounds, as wish I to have the full partial pounds for this rubbish receive I from you.”

Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the …Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the message they sent me, and I've just ended up deleting the post! Can't remember what I'd written. So I've redone it. Anyway, this is the message they'd sent me:Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can alsoWe would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.Is that alright for you?We look forward to your reply.Greetings

Sounds like Hong Kong or China or something. Bless em. These Hong Kong or China ebay people are generally really sweet.

Just respond back saying you can't keep the item because it's not working, you really don't want to give it to family or friends and you want a full refund. It is quite likely they will ask you to keep it and refund too.

Usually I would say go down the ebay return route but looking at that message they've sent you, it sounds like it should be pretty straightforward.
There's nothing "iffy" about the seller or their message, that's just standard operating procedure for many sellers of goods from China. If you message them saying that there is some kind of problem with your item they'll offer you a partial refund on it, which depending on the issue with the item you may or may not want to take. But if you just say no thank you to that then you can go ahead and put in a claim for a refund. The Chinese vendors are selling low cost items in such big numbers that a partial refund is easier and cheaper for everyone sometimes than actually having to send the item back half way across the world to them.

Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the …Something weird just happened. I tried to edit the post to include the message they sent me, and I've Sorry for the inconveniences.You need not back the item to us. The product may be good, but you won't use it. You can find a professional person to teach you or fix it. Your friends can alsoWe would like to refund 3 partial pounds and you will keep the item.Is that alright for you?We look forward to your reply.Greetings

Come on tell us what the product is please. After their advise I'm thinking Fleshlight.
Edited by: "666FU" 19th Sep
666FU19/09/2019 09:33

Come on tell us what the product is please. After their advise I'm …Come on tell us what the product is please. After their advise I'm thinking Flashlight.

Typo?
Haircut_10019/09/2019 09:22

There's nothing "iffy" about the seller or their message, that's just …There's nothing "iffy" about the seller or their message, that's just standard operating procedure for many sellers of goods from China. If you message them saying that there is some kind of problem with your item they'll offer you a partial refund on it, which depending on the issue with the item you may or may not want to take. But if you just say no thank you to that then you can go ahead and put in a claim for a refund. The Chinese vendors are selling low cost items in such big numbers that a partial refund is easier and cheaper for everyone sometimes than actually having to send the item back half way across the world to them.

I explained in more detail initially, but I messed up when editing. I was basically asking for an opinion. Should I accept the £3.00, or is it worth the hassle of pushing for the full amount. Because if I have to pay for the postage to return, I wouldn't end up with much more than £3.00 anyway. Do Ebay refund postage costs on faulty item returns?

And whilst it might be standard operating procedure for Chinese sellers (which I've not experienced before, only ever had to return faulty items from China a couple of times at most, and they've always just refunded the full amount without bothering with the return), it's certainly not general operating procedure. Which is why I thought it might be a difficult seller.

The item in question is something I'm very familiar with having used dozens of them. I figured out what was wrong with it (irreparable though). And the quality of them varies wildly even in the same brand. Which is why I deliberately bought the item from a UK seller. Clearly I was wrong on that point though.

I've never used the eBay returns procedure before (unless it's an unwanted item return). I usually just message sellers.
Edited by: "ra786" 19th Sep
When you open a case for a faulty item you get a free return label that the seller has to pay for no matte where the seller is.
For these low value items some sellers automatically refund the money as its cheaper than paying for the return label.
Open the return request. It will ask you to pixk a reason. Pick item doesn't work. Either you will get and instant refund at this point or it will ask you for an explanation of the problem. You just state it doesn't work. A picture to back up your claim always helps you can attach that below and tick all the info is correct and send the request. Then you will get an automatic tracked return label and you just need to stick that on the packaged item and drop it off at the post office. Keep the receipt as it will take a while to get back to China
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants