Ebay feedback - can buyer leave me negative feedback if they do not pay?

Posted 25th Oct
Hello

Quick ebay question.

I sold an item, and the buyer said "My kid bought this by accident - please cancel the order". First of all, they submitted a best offer, I then countered, and they accepted the counter offer - therefore I highly doubt their kid 'accidentally pressed the button'.

The buyer has then went on to be cheeky etc.

I am wondering if I can leave them negative feedback, without them leaving me feedback? As they deserve it and I don't!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Just get Ebay to cancel the transaction and get the fees refunded and no feedback left either side. Job done
AFAIK only buyers can leave negative feedback.
23 Comments
Do you accept returns?
no im just a private seller
AFAIK only buyers can leave negative feedback.
You can't leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.
"can buyer leave me negative feedback if they do not pay"

Yes, so be polite to the timewaster and just cancel the order.
Just get Ebay to cancel the transaction and get the fees refunded and no feedback left either side. Job done
googley225/10/2019 15:36

Just get Ebay to cancel the transaction and get the fees refunded and no …Just get Ebay to cancel the transaction and get the fees refunded and no feedback left either side. Job done

@Op do as suggested above because if they keep doing it to other they will get banned as eBay will have records of them being time wasters
Yeah, they can - same situation happened to me.
As an experienced seller you get time wasters and have to take hits which is hard to absorb if you’re not selling high frequencies. The fact you haven’t lost money, ie postage, is a better position to be than if they received it and claimed it didn’t arrive/faulty/damaged etc.
I really don't like it that you can't leave buyers negative feedback anymore. Way to much power has been given to them. If you want recourse as a seller, it is possible but it means jumping through bunch of hoops with eBay customer service. I just offer refund straight away. Not worth the trouble.
And yes to answer your question. A buyer can leave negative feedback even after you provide the refund. Some people are really punitive regardless of your actions. If they do, contact eBay and dispute it with your evidence.
AnkerMan25/10/2019 16:09

And yes to answer your question. A buyer can leave negative feedback even …And yes to answer your question. A buyer can leave negative feedback even after you provide the refund. Some people are really punitive regardless of your actions. If they do, contact eBay and dispute it with your evidence.

Even then, eBay will delete their text but the "negative" point will still be visible and count.
AnkerMan25/10/2019 16:06

I really don't like it that you can't leave buyers negative feedback …I really don't like it that you can't leave buyers negative feedback anymore. Way to much power has been given to them. If you want recourse as a seller, it is possible but it means jumping through bunch of hoops with eBay customer service. I just offer refund straight away. Not worth the trouble.

You can report as a non-paying bidder/buyer and set up your account to block those with X strikes in X months. Also they will get suspended from eBay if they don't pay several times.
Reporting as a non-paying buyer is easy and if they buyer doesn't respond you just click again and get your fees back and the buyer gets a strike on their account. Reported non-payers also can't leave you feedback in retaliation.

So to the OP, just report as non-paying buyer and move on, can see how to do that here ebay.co.uk/hel…137

Non-paying bidder policy is here ebay.co.uk/hel…271
Edited by: "jon81uk" 25th Oct
MadeDixonsCry25/10/2019 16:35

Even then, eBay will delete their text but the "negative" point will still …Even then, eBay will delete their text but the "negative" point will still be visible and count.

This isn’t true, I’ve had negative feedback from someone who was blatantly lying and eBay removed it completely with immediate effect.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 25th Oct
JohnnyRoller25/10/2019 16:56

This isn’t true, I’ve had negative feedback from someone who was blatantly …This isn’t true, I’ve had negative feedback from someone who was blatantly lying and eBay removed it completely with immediate effect.

Thanks for that.

My negative was not an obvious lie so maybe that's why the negative stayed but the comment removed. But if they're gonna remove the comment, why not remove the negative point? :/
Just cancel the order - anything for a quiet life. And sellers cannot leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers any more and haven't been able to for several years.
squiff25/10/2019 19:20

Just cancel the order - anything for a quiet life. And sellers cannot …Just cancel the order - anything for a quiet life. And sellers cannot leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers any more and haven't been able to for several years.

But they are able to contact you and give you abuse for leaving negative feedback. I had a phone call late one night from an eBay seller (who had sold me a dodgy DS game that didn’t work) to shout at me for leaving bad feedback. eBay did nothing as they claim a phone call doesn’t count as harassment unless it is recorded as proof. I didn’t even realise that my phone number was part of my eBay profile!
Edited by: "shelliebish" 25th Oct
shelliebish25/10/2019 19:45

But they are able to contact you and give you abuse for leaving negative …But they are able to contact you and give you abuse for leaving negative feedback. I had a phone call late one night from an eBay seller (who had sold me a dodgy DS game that didn’t work) to shout at me for leaving bad feedback. eBay did nothing as they claim a phone call doesn’t count as harassment unless it is recorded as proof. I didn’t even realise that my phone number was part of my eBay profile!

And a phone recording requires consent if it is to be used as evidence.
If they don't pay, open an unpaid item case against them. That blocks them from leaving feedback, and they'll get a strike on their account, which admittedly isn't worth a while deal. You'll also get your final value fee back.
When I look at the sold listing, there is an option to leave the buyer feedback! 38778223-PCCMu.jpg
It's extra annoying as I was selling my old phone under the £1 final value fees promo so I stood to save about 26 quid!
adamski8826/10/2019 09:28

When I look at the sold listing, there is an option to leave the buyer …When I look at the sold listing, there is an option to leave the buyer feedback! [Image]

Yes, but not negative feedback.
You open a case or report for unpaid item. The buyer can pay or cancel it but a strike goes on their records and you get fees refunded. Don't just simply cancel it. It stops time wasters.
I ask the buyer to request the cancellation through eBay to avoid them still leaving negative feedback if I cancel just because they ask . If they don’t I put an unpaid case through, pain in the backside as it takes about a week from start to finish before you can relist . I honestly think half the people that bid don’t even read the descriptions before they buy .

My favourites in the last few weeks , cust from Hungary who bid on a collection only item . Cust from Brasil who bid on an item and then gave me three addresses to post to , then told me I was a “bad seller who needs to improve my service “ when PayPal fraud team put their payment on hold for 24 hours . Followed by a buyer from Scotland who wanted me to post a collection only item which would have cost more than the price they offered to post it . Seriously thinking about moving over to Facebook to sell , apart from the fact I understand if you make over £1k of sales on eBay you have to declare it .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants