Expired

eBay feedback warning?

Found 10th Dec 2013
I have just left feedback for a seller on eBay. I gave 5 stars for everything except 4 stars for communication. I hadn't received anything apart from the automated 'item has been dispatched' message so thought 4 stars was fair. But a pop up message appeared:
"Feedback warning! The seller was entitled to 5 stars for communication"
What is the point in asking for my feedback and then telling me it's wrong. I know I'm not obliged to leave any at all, but some sellers wait until feedback is left before doing likewise. Bit of a pointless system if you ask me.
Any thoughts?
Community Updates
25 Comments
Daft pal
hmmm that's odd, never had that before and been using eBay for a while.
The feedback system on Ebay is pointless. Easy ways to bump up your feedback, nothing to differentiate between sellers that have sold a lot of more expensive items and those that only sell cheap stuff. I always leave 3 stars unless the seller has done something extra, i dont see the point in the delivery one as that is out of the sellers hands.

I think an improvement to the feedback system would be to have bronze, silver and gold stars to differentiate between the value of the items sold by the seller i.e You would, once positive feedback is left receive a mark against the Bronze column for items between 1p up to say £30, a silver for £30-£100 and a gold star for anything over £100. And then have another counter for items bought.

But then again that would require Ebay to actually give a toss about something other than profits.
Was there any reason for the seller to contact you? If not, why not give 5 stars?

I believe certain sellers qualify for getting an automatic 5 star rating, but if they do send you a message (even if just to say personally that the item has been disptached or hope you enjoy the item) then they lose that automatic 5 star rating.

Giving less than 5 stars when the seller has done nothing wrong can really harm a sellers rating and just a few transactions with lower than 5 stars can lead to a seller being banned.
What other information do you need?

If a 'seller' sends anymore than the automated emails, they get accused of spamming.

I assume you paid via Paypal, so you get a receipt for payment, you get an automated dispatch email (which the seller iniates)
and you get your item

Bingo, job done
I don't rate that unless I have contacted them about something, maybe it popped up because you hadn't tried to contact?
Why would you give the seller 4 stars for communication? do you want him to send you a kiss or something.
post your ebay id and i'll add you to my blocked bidder list
I think it is very difficult for sellers dealing with large volumes of sales to send personal messages unless you ask a question or there is a problem. They would be there all day. So they are at a disadvantage. It is easy for someone like me who sells very rarely to give a personal service. A business relies on a 5* feedback score to survive. I would only very rarely give less than 5 if I was particularly unhappy. As a seller you have your hands tied and can't give negative feedback even for a fraudulent buyer or even who's a pain in the **** . That's the advantage of selling on HUKD. I also would not leave feedback for a buyer until they left theirs because I know how annoying it can be if you have been really good and they don't give you credit for it. I treat people as I would like to be treated myself and if everyone thought like that it would make life alot easier.
MazingerZ

Why would you give the seller 4 stars for communication? do you want him … Why would you give the seller 4 stars for communication? do you want him to send you a kiss or something.

Exactly my thoughts ! What was the deduction of 1 star for??? Idiots playing god with peoples livelihood !!!
Edited by: "stiffnuts" 10th Dec 2013
stiffnuts

Exactly my thoughts ! What was the deduction of 1 star for??? Idiots … Exactly my thoughts ! What was the deduction of 1 star for??? Idiots playing god with peoples livelihood !!!

Well to be honest I thought 4/5 was still very good (just not perfect). If I sell something, after I have posted the item I will send a message telling the buyer I have done so, when it was posted and also when they can expect to receive the item and that if they haven't by a certain date to let me know so I can chase it up. It takes 30 seconds. That is very good service in my opinion. So i was comparing it to that.
I didn't realise that giving anything less than 5 stars has a negative impact on their 'livelihoods'.
I don't mean that sarcastically, I honestly didn't know. With that in mind, i'll give 5 stars in the future unless communication is particularly bad.
I was more curious about the pop up itself, as i'd never seen it before and the implications of it on the effectiveness of the feedback system.
hbomb

Well to be honest I thought 4/5 was still very good (just not perfect). … Well to be honest I thought 4/5 was still very good (just not perfect). If I sell something, after I have posted the item I will send a message telling the buyer I have done so, when it was posted and also when they can expect to receive the item and that if they haven't by a certain date to let me know so I can chase it up. It takes 30 seconds. That is very good service in my opinion. So i was comparing it to that.I didn't realise that giving anything less than 5 stars has a negative impact on their 'livelihoods'. I don't mean that sarcastically, I honestly didn't know. With that in mind, i'll give 5 stars in the future unless communication is particularly bad.I was more curious about the pop up itself, as i'd never seen it before and the implications of it on the effectiveness of the feedback system.

Sorry perhaps I was a little unclear. The idiots part wasn't aimed at you though it was contained in my reply to the original post about the deduction of 1 star. So sorry. My friend at work told me a few days ago that he gave negative feedback for something arriving a few days later than it should. I must confess I told him I thought he was a couple of expletives, and he saw the error of his ways.

I don't own of run a business myself but I heavily sympathise with sellers. Many people who buy think that its okay to lie and make out that something isnt as described or it never arrived knowing that they have paypal protection, and it cant be proved. The problem is that this is someone business, their livelihood, and what puts food on the table.

The stars and rating can effect their trade and fees.

So people expect to be given the highest rating for doing something that is and should be expected?

What happens to the sellers who somehow do a bit extra (for whatever reason) how can you show that they are better than others if the 'norm' is to give the maximum rating for all transactions unless there has been a problem.

As for this:

GamingDevil

I believe certain sellers qualify for getting an automatic 5 star rating, … I believe certain sellers qualify for getting an automatic 5 star rating, but if they do send you a message (even if just to say personally that the item has been disptached or hope you enjoy the item) then they lose that automatic 5 star rating.

[COMMENT CHANGED DUE TO MISUNDERSTANDING]

Again this just highleights a problem created by Ebay to make their lives easier, If everyone always gives 5 stars unless something has gone wrong then they don't need to sort out as many complaints when the seller/buyer have different opinions on what ratings were left.

3 STARS should be the normal rating and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, Maybe 4 at a push, as it allows scope for visible praise for the seller.
Edited by: "mclovin9091" 10th Dec 2013
Sounds strange, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Your rating is whatever you think is fair
Yeah but those are the understood maybe unofficial rules on eBay. If you get excellent service you reflect it in your comments. It may sound unreasonable but that is how people usually operate in practice.
GamingDevil

I believe certain sellers qualify for getting an automatic 5 star … I believe certain sellers qualify for getting an automatic 5 star rating, but if they do send you a message (even if just to say personally that the item has been disptached or hope you enjoy the item) then they lose that automatic 5 star rating.

You can receive automatic 5-star detailed seller ratings for a … You can receive automatic 5-star detailed seller ratings for a transaction in these two areas:Postage and packagingIf you offer free P&P and we can confirm that your buyer has chosen that option, you'll receive an automatic 5-star rating for Postage and packaging.CommunicationIf you send the item promptly and let the buyer know (by uploading tracking information or marking the item as dispatched in My eBay), and there wasn't any need for further communication (you didn't send each other any messages, the buyer didn't open a case, and is now leaving positive Feedback), we consider that you've fulfilled all expectations for that transaction.You'll receive an automatic a 5-star rating for Communication when your transaction meets all of the following criteria: Tracking is uploaded or the item is marked as dispatched within 1 working day after payment has been received. Stated dispatch time is 1 working day or same day. The payment method is PayPal, making the payment date visible to eBay. No communication took place between the buyer and seller from 14 days before the transaction up until the point that Feedback was left. This includes messages within My eBay and any cases opened in the Resolution Centre.

I do not mark them down! That is not what I said nor meant.

From the ebay help pages:

If they send a message then the system does not automatically give them the 5 stars for communication. If the 5 stars are not automatically filled in then this therefore means that buyers could, if they wanted, give less than 5 stars for communication.

No communication in ebays eyes means that the transaction went well and there was no need for any communication.

It's a similar case for P&P. Free P&P means the ebay system automatically fills in the 5 stars for P&P and the buyer cannot change this. If they do not offer free P&P it means buyers can fill in the stars and can therefore give less than 5 stars.

Any seller can gain an automatic 5 stars in two areas which cannot be changed if they do the above.

The ebay feedback system is stupid and sadly a lot of buyers have no idea how it works. 3 stars should be a normal rating for an average service but it's not. If it all went fine they expect you to give 5 stars because the transaction went fine and that means a happy buyer. If they go above and beyond then you can comment on that and you are more likely to buy from then again in the future. If you have problems you leave lower stars.

Edited by: "GamingDevil" 10th Dec 2013
Harry545

post your ebay id and i'll add you to my blocked bidder list

post yours and i'll avoid you like the plague. Actually scrap that, post yours and i'll buy an item and leave you 4/5 stars on communication. Apparently you'll be dead within a week.
Ah right, from what you wrote it came a cross as what you do. Apologies!

More rubbish ebay rules.

if for example I said to the buyer that the item will be sent on Monday and then due to some outside problem the item doesn't get sent until Tuesday, i would inform them on the Monday evening at the latest to let them know that rather than expect the item on Wednesday (probably) or Thursday (maybe). That it would now be Thursday (probably) and Friday maybe. Ebay then automatically assumes there is a problem
if a seller was very prompt at marking item as dispatched and you got your item 2-3 days later all is good
but.......

if you have purchased an item and not been updated about parcel and seller doesnt communicate parcel arrives 3 days late and seller still has communicated with you even after sending them 6 messages then id say there is a communication breakdown there
and stars should be deducted

i find that sellers who wait for you to leave them feedback are wrong, maybe they do need to communicate with buyers just before they leave feedback to ask the customer if they are happy with their product then leave them feedback, if a buyer is not happy with their item try to resolve it rationally, instead of buyer going straight for leaving the bad feedback routine
Edited by: "havesomecandy" 10th Dec 2013
What do you want from sellers? If they list what is being sent. They list a dispatch time frame. They list a shipping method with tine frame then surely there is nothing to communicate with you??
Thats like buying a Ferrari and saying its speed isnt very good because you can only drive at 70mph.
That's very odd... I don't give feedback asap I wait at least a month later so I can give accurate feedback.

If I have never received communication from the seller the communication star don't even enable me to make that option.
gabby71

What do you want from sellers? If they list what is being sent. They list … What do you want from sellers? If they list what is being sent. They list a dispatch time frame. They list a shipping method with tine frame then surely there is nothing to communicate with you?? Thats like buying a Ferrari and saying its speed isnt very good because you can only drive at 70mph.

No, It's nothing like that. It's like either seeing a Ferrari, paying for it and driving it away. Or seeing a Ferrari, paying for it, driving it away and then receiving a courtesy call from the dealer to check how it's going and if there's anything your not happy with or if they can be of anymore assistance. Now i'd be happy with the former, but if you're asking me to rate the two experiences I'd say the latter was just a little bit better. But going by ebay's 'unspoken rules' there's no way for me to distinguish between the two and give credit to the better service. Like I said originally, as it isn't made all that clear by ebay, one might assume the usual 5 star rating system applies. (1 star - terrible, 2 stars - poor, 3 stars - good, 4 stars - very good, 5 stars - exceptional). Previous posts have pointed out that it doesn't actually work like that and I accept that now. I don't think it's the most effective system, but i'm happy to use it if it's fairer to sellers.
Don't be a smart a*se.
mclovin9091

Ah right, from what you wrote it came a cross as what you do. … Ah right, from what you wrote it came a cross as what you do. Apologies!More rubbish ebay rules. if for example I said to the buyer that the item will be sent on Monday and then due to some outside problem the item doesn't get sent until Tuesday, i would inform them on the Monday evening at the latest to let them know that rather than expect the item on Wednesday (probably) or Thursday (maybe). That it would now be Thursday (probably) and Friday maybe. Ebay then automatically assumes there is a problem

No problem.

Well techncially in that case there was a problem; the sending of the item was delayed. It's the reason why some sellers mark as dispatched before it's actually dispatched and don't say a thing, they don't want to lose the automatic 5 stars that ebay give them. Problem is then buyers expect the item next day (regardless of how it was/will be sent e.g. 2nd class) and it doesn't come. Not to mention that lately the estimated delivery dates on ebay have been wrong as they're not allowing enough time for items to be delivered (I believe in some cases it has even given dates that have already gone).

Basically half of ebay is glitching and the other half needs improving, especially where feedback is concerned. But on the plus side we keep getting lots of free listing days lol.
havesomecandy

if a seller was very prompt at marking item as dispatched and you got … if a seller was very prompt at marking item as dispatched and you got your item 2-3 days later all is goodbut.......if you have purchased an item and not been updated about parcel and seller doesnt communicate parcel arrives 3 days late and seller still has communicated with you even after sending them 6 messages then id say there is a communication breakdown there :Dand stars should be deductedi find that sellers who wait for you to leave them feedback are wrong, maybe they do need to communicate with buyers just before they leave feedback to ask the customer if they are happy with their product then leave them feedback, if a buyer is not happy with their item try to resolve it rationally, instead of buyer going straight for leaving the bad feedback routine

Agreed with the first part.

As for the second, there has always been the argument of who should leave feedback first. Seller because technically the feedback for the buyer is on the payment or buyer because the transaction is complete when the buyer is happy and left feedback. The seller can then rate the buyer based on the whole transaction (after all buyers can become rude or cause problems after paying and there's more to a buyer than just the payment). Although as sellers can no longer leave negative feedback it's now give feedback because it went well overall or just don't give any feedback at all.

Problem with them communicating with the buyer is that buyers can get angry at the fact a seller is bothering them to make sure they're happy. Plus if you ask if they have the item it shows you probably don't have proof of delivery and so any bad buyer can open up a case for item not received and they know they'll win. On top of that you get people begging or blackmailing others for (positive) feedback so what started out as a simple message can end up with a buyer thinking you're begging for feedback or blackmailing them into giving positive feedback so they'll get feedback.
1st world problems - boo hoo.

FFS - grow up & grow a pair with it. Pathetic - LOL!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants