Posted 31st Dec 2021
I recently put my Bose QuietComfort 45 headphones up on eBay (got them free with my Pixel 6 Pro)

3 day listing , no reserve started at £99 , the item sold for £186.11 which I'm happy with but what I'm not happy with is the fees , after all fees have been removed I've been sent £161.99 and have to pay for the postage out of this.

3863318_1.jpgAll in all £24.12 in fees now I've not sold anything for a while on eBay, last time they used PayPal to handle payments but I can't remember the fees being so high!

Are there any other alternatives out there? I've used Facebook marketplace before but I find it hard to sell stuff on there, I had some interest with this at £180 but nobody got back to me after an initial message and you always get people wanting it for near nothing.

Does eBay still do deals where they reduce the final selling fee? Where else is best to try and sell unwanted items?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
clonereeco31/12/2021 12:20

Thanks all, didn't know if they still did promotions on selling fees as …Thanks all, didn't know if they still did promotions on selling fees as last time I used it was the promotion for £1 final fee which was always a good dealIt'll be the last time I ever list anything without the promotion that's for sure, over 10% of the cost of the product is ridiculousMaybe I need to look in to the fees of others like shpock or find a way to get more interest in Facebook marketplace, just a lot of time wasters there wanting stuff for next to nothing!

They have always charged 10% of the selling price for private sellers.

The rest is payment processing fees - which is another 2.8% + 30p per transaction - so basically total fees are 12.8% + 30p.

As you said, all payments used to be done through PayPal, but they actually charged ever so slightly more at 2.9% + 30p. So fees haven't really changed since eBay made PayPal compulsory 15 years ago.

As others have pointed out, there are regular offers on selling fees - usually every 2-4 weeks they'll invite select accounts to list up to 100 items with offers like 80% off, 70% off, max £2, max £3, etc. The best offer really depends on the price of the item you're selling, but anything is better than nothing, so best advice is to hold of on selling anything on eBay until an offer comes along (HUKD always posts them!).

But with eBay you've just got to ask yourself - is it better to sell an item at 80-90% of its value, or not at all? E.g. if these headphones are worth £180 and you could sell them on Facebook with no fees, or eBay with £30 fees (inc. postage) leaving £150, then it sounds like the difference between getting £150 and £180, and obviously £180 would be better. But if all you get from Facebook is a bunch of time wasters then it's actually a case of £150 or £0, in which case eBay is better. It's very much a case of a bird in the hand vs two in the bush.
34 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Sphock
    Gumtree
    Cex
    I prefer fb marketplace though, as I've got a little trick to weed out time wasters
  2. Avatar

I can see it why occasional private sellers wait for £1 or £2 promotion now. They make crazy money off businesses and everyday sellers.
  3. Avatar
    At that price they'll have to be sent Royal Mail Special Delivery.
  4. Avatar
    if you waited until 80% off fess, would have been around £5.
    check fees before you list.

JimboParrot31/12/2021 09:44

At that price they'll have to be sent Royal Mail Special Delivery.

ups likely to be cheaper.
    Edited by: "AMaky" 31st Dec 2021
  5. Avatar
    Eye-opening stuff!
  6. Avatar
    That's how eBay works. If you're looking to get rid of stuff, and it's not urgent, then you wait for a selling promo. If you need something gone at short notice to clear space, then you'll be hit with heavy fees. I assume that's why they don't run selling promos before Christmas, as they know a lot of people need to move on clutter quickly.
  7. Avatar
    nopartylikeansclubparty31/12/2021 09:37

SphockGumtreeCexI prefer fb marketplace though, as I've got a little trick …SphockGumtreeCexI prefer fb marketplace though, as I've got a little trick to weed out time wasters

What's the trick?!
    I hate the rubbish that comes through on marketplace
  8. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks all, didn't know if they still did promotions on selling fees as last time I used it was the promotion for £1 final fee which was always a good deal

It'll be the last time I ever list anything without the promotion that's for sure, over 10% of the cost of the product is ridiculous

Maybe I need to look in to the fees of others like shpock or find a way to get more interest in Facebook marketplace, just a lot of time wasters there wanting stuff for next to nothing!
    Edited by: "clonereeco" 31st Dec 2021
  9. Avatar
    mayzi31/12/2021 10:11

What's the trick?! I hate the rubbish that comes through on marketplace

Honestly it works....
    As soon as they message the usual "is this still available" just reply back straight away with "yes when would you like to collect" it stops any chit chat time wasters and negotiating

If they dont reply in 2 mins delete the chat, it's that simple
  10. Avatar

Thanks all, didn't know if they still did promotions on selling fees as …Thanks all, didn't know if they still did promotions on selling fees as last time I used it was the promotion for £1 final fee which was always a good dealIt'll be the last time I ever list anything without the promotion that's for sure, over 10% of the cost of the product is ridiculousMaybe I need to look in to the fees of others like shpock or find a way to get more interest in Facebook marketplace, just a lot of time wasters there wanting stuff for next to nothing!

there are no £1 anymore, or for dormant account very rarely.
    it's 80% off which on items over £30 ish works out cheaper than £1 plus PayPal fees. as it's 80% off fees in total.
  11. Avatar
    nopartylikeansclubparty31/12/2021 12:42

Honestly it works.... As soon as they message the usual "is this still …Honestly it works.... As soon as they message the usual "is this still available" just reply back straight away with "yes when would you like to collect" it stops any chit chat time wasters and negotiating If they dont reply in 2 mins delete the chat, it's that simple

I've had that before and it did put me off responding straightaway. I had a genuine question.

Frustratingly I find sellers mess about just as much as buyers on FB.

I've managed a few successful purchases and a few sales too but it's hard work.
  12. Avatar
    fb market place i prefer
  13. Avatar
    There's a reason eBay can charge fees, and rather high fees at that. Because you'll end up spending more time than it's worth using a different site to sell it, and you'll probably also get less.
  14. Avatar

They have always charged 10% of the selling price for private sellers.

The rest is payment processing fees - which is another 2.8% + 30p per transaction - so basically total fees are 12.8% + 30p.

As you said, all payments used to be done through PayPal, but they actually charged ever so slightly more at 2.9% + 30p. So fees haven't really changed since eBay made PayPal compulsory 15 years ago.

As others have pointed out, there are regular offers on selling fees - usually every 2-4 weeks they'll invite select accounts to list up to 100 items with offers like 80% off, 70% off, max £2, max £3, etc. The best offer really depends on the price of the item you're selling, but anything is better than nothing, so best advice is to hold of on selling anything on eBay until an offer comes along (HUKD always posts them!).

But with eBay you've just got to ask yourself - is it better to sell an item at 80-90% of its value, or not at all? E.g. if these headphones are worth £180 and you could sell them on Facebook with no fees, or eBay with £30 fees (inc. postage) leaving £150, then it sounds like the difference between getting £150 and £180, and obviously £180 would be better. But if all you get from Facebook is a bunch of time wasters then it's actually a case of £150 or £0, in which case eBay is better. It's very much a case of a bird in the hand vs two in the bush.
  15. Avatar
    I don't understand the frustration / complaint from the OP. All fees are disclosed before listing and anyone who spends even 5 mins here regularly knows there are FVF offers from eBay quite frequently. So unless the cash situation is dire, then wait for the offer or deal with the spam on Gumtree.
  16. Avatar
    Author
    bozo00731/12/2021 17:13

I don't understand the frustration / complaint from the OP. All fees are …I don't understand the frustration / complaint from the OP. All fees are disclosed before listing and anyone who spends even 5 mins here regularly knows there are FVF offers from eBay quite frequently. So unless the cash situation is dire, then wait for the offer or deal with the spam on Gumtree.

I understand the fees I'm just surprised at the total value of it all, I wasn't aware they were so high before selling but then again it's not often I sell anything worth over £50 , I haven't sold anything in a while and wasn't even aware that PayPal wasn't used anymore.

I should have waited for an offer to come through but I have no idea how often they are , lesson learned , don't list when theres no promotion on, or stick it out on Facebook marketplace and deal with all the time wasters
  17. Avatar
    reddragon10531/12/2021 14:55

They have always charged 10% of the selling price for private sellers.The …They have always charged 10% of the selling price for private sellers.The rest is payment processing fees - which is another 2.8% + 30p per transaction - so basically total fees are 12.8% + 30p.As you said, all payments used to be done through PayPal, but they actually charged ever so slightly more at 2.9% + 30p. So fees haven't really changed since eBay made PayPal compulsory 15 years ago.As others have pointed out, there are regular offers on selling fees - usually every 2-4 weeks they'll invite select accounts to list up to 100 items with offers like 80% off, 70% off, max £2, max £3, etc. The best offer really depends on the price of the item you're selling, but anything is better than nothing, so best advice is to hold of on selling anything on eBay until an offer comes along (HUKD always posts them!).But with eBay you've just got to ask yourself - is it better to sell an item at 80-90% of its value, or not at all? E.g. if these headphones are worth £180 and you could sell them on Facebook with no fees, or eBay with £30 fees (inc. postage) leaving £150, then it sounds like the difference between getting £150 and £180, and obviously £180 would be better. But if all you get from Facebook is a bunch of time wasters then it's actually a case of £150 or £0, in which case eBay is better. It's very much a case of a bird in the hand vs two in the bush.

What utter nonsense. When eBay first started, fees were variable depending on the category but abdolutely nowhere near 10%. They were steadily changed / increased until they became a flat 10%. They stayed at that level for a long time until in recent years VAT started to be added, now making the fee 12%. Then of course you used to have the Paypal fee on top which rbay have now decided to charge you directly for and keep for themselves...
  18. Avatar
    C’mon… I think we are due another fee discount code from eBay soon right? Feels like it’s been awhile this time!

19. Avatar
    rik11131/12/2021 20:44

What utter nonsense. When eBay first started, fees were variable depending …What utter nonsense. When eBay first started, fees were variable depending on the category but abdolutely nowhere near 10%. They were steadily changed / increased until they became a flat 10%.

Okay, so they weren't literally always 10% - 20 years ago they were "up to" 5%, in 2004 they were 9%, but for the last 15 years or so - more than half of their existence - they have been 10%.

Perhaps the biggest change in that time was when they started applying the 10% to P+P charges as well (so you couldn't get away with charging 99p + £10 postage for a small item (lol).)

rik11131/12/2021 20:44

They stayed at that level for a long time until in recent years VAT …They stayed at that level for a long time until in recent years VAT started to be added, now making the fee 12%. Then of course you used to have the Paypal fee on top which rbay have now decided to charge you directly for and keep for themselves...

Uh, no, they didn't start adding VAT. Private seller fees have always included VAT - they have to. They added payment processing charges which used to be charged by PayPal, which you're obviously aware of because you say that as well. Can't have it both ways - if they added VAT making it 12% then adding PayPal charges as well would have brought it up to 14.9%.

So fees used to be 10% including VAT, now they're 12.8% including VAT, which is based on the old 10% plus 2.8% for payment processing, which comes from PayPal's 2.9% but undercuts them by 0.1%.

So the payment processing is the only reason for the increase from 10%. Considering eBay used to own PayPal that means they were effectively getting 12.9% for every item sold for 10 out of the past 15 years anyway, so if anything this is just a return to normal for them. Although they don't actually process the payments themselves, they use a company called Adyen, which they don't own, so they won't be getting all of that extra 2.8%.
    Edited by: "reddragon105" 1st Jan
  20. Avatar
    reddragon10501/01/2022 00:43

Okay, so they weren't literally always 10% - 20 years ago they were "up …Okay, so they weren't literally always 10% - 20 years ago they were "up to" 5%, in 2004 they were 9%, but for the last 15 years or so - more than half of their existence - they have been 10%.Perhaps the biggest change in that time was when they started applying the 10% to P+P charges as well (so you couldn't get away with charging 99p + £10 postage for a small item (lol).)Uh, no, they didn't start adding VAT. Private seller fees have always included VAT - they have to. They added payment processing charges which used to be charged by PayPal, which you're obviously aware of because you say that as well. Can't have it both ways - if they added VAT making it 12% then adding PayPal charges as well would have brought it up to 14.9%.So fees used to be 10% including VAT, now they're 12.8% including VAT, which is based on the old 10% plus 2.8% for payment processing, which comes from PayPal's 2.9% but undercuts them by 0.1%. So the payment processing is the only reason for the increase from 10%. Considering eBay used to own PayPal that means they were effectively getting 12.9% for every item sold for 10 out of the past 15 years anyway, so if anything this is just a return to normal for them. Although they don't actually process the payments themselves, they use a company called Adyen, which they don't own, so they won't be getting all of that extra 2.8%.

Your numbers are correct but eBay also hasn't owned PayPal for a very long time now. The compulsion to use PayPal for some more time was a part of the agreement when PayPal was separated.
  21. Avatar
    "I've used Facebook marketplace before"

You're paying for access to their large community that eBay built. If selling was simple, you wouldn't have services such as eBay.

I agree the fees are high , I only use during promotions. Otherwise I do Facebook and now no longer shpock after being banned.

I was selling those Samsung galaxy buds 2 , buyer didn't like me from inbox as they wanted to use the in app payment and I hadn't used it before and we were 2 days before Xmas. I told them I am having a look at the faq and you won't get the item till the 28th-30th as it's christmas.b
    They reported me for counterfeit products. And I've been banned.

I know it was them as I can still access my inboxes on shpock and they are no longer there while everything else is still there.
    I tried contacting CS and they stated I've broken the law. I've shown them a receipt and they said it wasn't good enough.

So lost my account with tons of feedback.
  22. Avatar
    I sell a fair bit on ebay and larger stuff locally on Facebook. Generally I find that the wider audience on eBay equates to a larger return than Facebook, and covers a chunk of the fees anyway. Yes eBays fees are higher than other selling sites, but its not for nothing.
  23. Avatar
    bozo00701/01/2022 06:37

Your numbers are correct but eBay also hasn't owned PayPal for a very long …Your numbers are correct but eBay also hasn't owned PayPal for a very long time now. The compulsion to use PayPal for some more time was a part of the agreement when PayPal was separated.

Yes, hence the part where I said eBay were effectively getting 12.9% "for 10 out of the past 15 years" - the other 5 years being after the split.

So it took them 5 years to start making money from payment processing again (assuming not all of that 2.8% goes to Adyen, otherwise they might as well have stuck with PayPal), but obviously that's because their hands were tied by the post-split agreement.

But it's made no tangible difference to seller fees - we were paying two fees to basically the same company, then two fees to two separate companies, now just one fee to one company - but the total cost has been about the same for 15 years.
  24. Avatar
    Rikachu01/01/2022 00:24

C’mon… I think we are due another fee discount code from eBay soon right? F …C’mon… I think we are due another fee discount code from eBay soon right? Feels like it’s been awhile this time!

It so is, i got loads waiting list ,but obviously waiting for a decent promo.😁
  25. Avatar
    jack2727200201/01/2022 17:36

It so is, i got loads waiting list ,but obviously waiting for a decent … It so is, i got loads waiting list ,but obviously waiting for a decent promo.😁

Me too, been forever!!! 😔
  26. Avatar
    mayzi31/12/2021 13:34

I've had that before and it did put me off responding straightaway. I had …I've had that before and it did put me off responding straightaway. I had a genuine question.Frustratingly I find sellers mess about just as much as buyers on FB.I've managed a few successful purchases and a few sales too but it's hard work.

Sorry it wasn't personal 😁
  27. Avatar
    I Would sold them locally for £150 cash would of worked out same as eBay in the end with no hassle waiting as it can still be returned to you from a time waster.

When selling expensive items I look what they sell for on eBay - fees and post and try sell it for cash.

Someone was happy to pay £185 delivered so for £150 cash I'm sure they would sell quickly
    Edited by: "Alf.Garnett" 3rd Jan
  28. Avatar
    Can anyone help with this -

if a buyer asks me to sell for a certain price (including postage)

do i relist my item with free postage or do i split the agreed price between postage & item amount?
    Does this affect the percentage of fee ebay charges me in the end or not?
  29. Avatar
    raich33305/01/2022 13:34

Can anyone help with this -if a buyer asks me to sell for a certain price …Can anyone help with this -if a buyer asks me to sell for a certain price (including postage)do i relist my item with free postage or do i split the agreed price between postage & item amount?Does this affect the percentage of fee ebay charges me in the end or not?

No, fees are on combined total.
  30. Avatar
    It's been over 1 month since they last did the 70% off fees offer, wonder if its ever coming back at All, can't rem last time they went rhis long without selling offer of some sort?
  31. Avatar
    mrT78607/01/2022 08:49

It's been over 1 month since they last did the 70% off fees offer, wonder …It's been over 1 month since they last did the 70% off fees offer, wonder if its ever coming back at All, can't rem last time they went rhis long without selling offer of some sort?

I was hoping for a £1 or £2 max selling offer today... I live in hope
  32. Avatar
    This thread went down well

Sells item, complains about fees after the fact

33. Avatar
    lukeburtonavfc07/01/2022 09:18

I was hoping for a £1 or £2 max selling offer today... I live in hope ( …I was hoping for a £1 or £2 max selling offer today... I live in hope

Quite apart from not having been to sell anything for a month because there's not been an offer - I'm also not able to BUY anything I want on eBay, because no one is listing anything, because there's not been an offer! What are they playing at - if there's nothing worth buying, no one will go to their website...
  34. Avatar
    I’m also waiting for the offer to relist items
    I’m not sure if it’s their new tactics
Post a comment
Top Merchants