Ebay gift card

Found 27th Dec 2017
Hi.

Looking for some advice.

I sold a £50 gift card on ebay and the person i sold it too has messaged me saying the gift card has zero balance. But it 100% had £50 on it! So i checked the balance online and it says there is only 1p left on it so they have clearly used it.

They messaged me asking for a refund, i declined and they said they will leave negative feedback & they will make a claim via paypal and ebay to get the money back. If they do that, what are the chances of me getting forced to refund?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Unfortunately eBay tend to side with the buyer in such instances.
Can you not find out when the card was used and see if the date falls into when the buyer would have had possession? This might strengthen your case.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 27th Dec 2017

How do you 100% know it had £50 on it ? Most gift cards have to be "activated" after purchase . This is done at the till if bought in store or online if bought on line .Did you check the balance on line or in the store ? Maybe it wasn't activated

Easy enough to get the dates of when the balance was added and when it was used. If used after you posted then he’s not got a leg to stand on.

Yeah, pm them back and tell them you've requested information from the company about when the balance was used, and you'll get back to them. They may well magically find they get it all sorted...

I used to remember stuff like that isn't covered by eBay money back guarantee so they can't claim anything to eBay or PayPal

community.ebay.com/t5/…262

Just ask eBay via chat to be sure.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, i messaged them saying if they ring river island they will get told when & where the gift card was last used.

See what happens...

hearts222 h, 5 m ago

I used to remember stuff like that isn't covered by eBay money back …I used to remember stuff like that isn't covered by eBay money back guarantee so they can't claim anything to eBay or PayPal https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying-Selling-Basics/Does-the-money-back-guarantee-cover-gift-cards/qaq-p/20061262Just ask eBay via chat to be sure.

You are misreading it. The buyer gets refunded . That is why selling gift cards / codes on ebay is a big no no.

chocci23 m ago

You are misreading it. The buyer gets refunded . That is why selling gift …You are misreading it. The buyer gets refunded . That is why selling gift cards / codes on ebay is a big no no.

I don't think so. Digital purchases are not covered for example. Means you cannot claim if something goes wrong.

eBay money back guarantee is buyer's protection, so items excluded are excluded from this protection
I'm just not sure gift cards are excluded (they are akin to cash so I used to think they were excluded) but if they are then buyer cannot open a case. If OP sent a physical card then it might be included; if it was a code not sent via post then it's not covered.

Notice where it says "digital content and intangible goods"

I think Paypal changed its rules instead and covers now digital purchases.

32922003-tQqEL.jpg
Edited by: "hearts22" 27th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Update.

I had buyers phone number on paypal delivery form so i rang it, he was quite shocked when I said who i was lol. He totally didn’t know what to say, told me he went in-store and person said balance was £0 but he is going back into store tomorrow to double check! Yeah right!

Wont be selling gift cards on ebay again!
Post a comment
@
    Text