eBay global shipping program and customs charges

Found 19th Mar 2015
Hi quick question. I am looking to buy an item from the USA which is about £600. The seller is opting for the global shipping program. What I want to know is. There is about £160 added by ebay for import fees. Does this mean I will not have to pay any extra fees at all ie customs duty etc. is this all included in the import fees header.

The only reason I ask is because in the terms it says in one section it's all included but in the next it says it isn't included.

Please help from experience etc

Community Updates
  1. Ask
  1. Ask
Original Poster

Import charges

Import charges for items purchased through the Global Shipping Program include certain fees charged by the global postage provider.

Import charges include:
Sales, goods and services
Value added taxes
Excise taxes
Other amounts assessed or levied by any government authority in connection with the importation of goods into the applicable country of importation.
Third party brokerage fees (including advancement and disbursement charges and customs brokers handling and filing fees.
Classification charges associated with the assignment of a Harmonized System ("HS") classification code.
Charges for export compliance screening and verification and the assignment of an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN).
Charges relating to the management of variances between the quoted import charges and actual costs.
Import charges don't include:
Income taxes
Commodity taxes
Any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after an item purchased through the Global Shipping Programme has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to, or made available for pickup at, the delivery address that you specify
Import charges are in addition to the customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials. For additional information about applicable fees, see the Global Shipping Programme Buyer Terms & Conditions.
Original Poster
£120 of that is the import VAT. You don't say what the item is so I don't know what the duty will be but £40 for that and handling sounds perfectly reasonable.

I'm not expert, but I'm guessing the charges after delivery would apply to things that other government departments might have an interest in. If you're importing dangerous chemicals, live animals, antique substances now banned (ivory etc.), high level security equipment etc.
Original Poster
Thanks that's what I thought. I just didn't want to get stung for customs duty vat etc after paying £160 for postage of that's all it included. It a quadcopter btw.
Original Poster
Just found out it's duty free apparently so just vat to pay
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants