Ebay gone mad?

Found 22nd Jan
I recently ordered an item on ebay that was collection only for nottingham. In order to find out if collecting it was a possibility i asked the seller which area he was in.... eventually he told me how many miles from my area code... it was hard getting that info out of him.
Anyway i purchased it then collected it all through ebay. Few days later i got an email telling me i breached ebay rules. When speaking to someone from ebay they said rules are rules and i should buy it and if the address given is then too far away to request a refund and cancel the order... is it just me that thinks this is stupidity and its best?
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Ebay seem to think the world revolves around them. I saw an article for sale and one of the photos was a picture of a bit of paper saying 'buy it now for £xxx. Tel 123456777'. Seems you aren't the only one finds their rules silly.
Edited by: "mrty" 22nd Jan
mrty3 m ago

Ebay seem to think the world revolves around them. I saw an article for …Ebay seem to think the world revolves around them. I saw an article for sale and one of the photos was a picture of a bit of paper saying 'buy it now for £xxx. Tel 123456777'. Seems you aren't the only one finds their rules silly.

The seller actually told me he couldnt tell me where it was as against the rules...
So what rule have you broken exactly? Cool story btw......
Shengis3 m ago

So what rule have you broken exactly? Cool story btw......

I provided an area code for myself and asked the seller where in nottingham he had the item. Totally naughty and a rule breaker me!
Yes stupidity at its best ebay u can use shiply to check the address if u want next time but depends if the seller sells from the same adress or not
mrty3 h, 0 m ago

Ebay seem to think the world revolves around them. I saw an article for …Ebay seem to think the world revolves around them. I saw an article for sale and one of the photos was a picture of a bit of paper saying 'buy it now for £xxx. Tel 123456777'. Seems you aren't the only one finds their rules silly.

Ridiculous rules! My avatar on eBay is the email address I use for eBay ...
MynameisM2 h, 17 m ago

Yes stupidity at its best ebay u can use shiply to check the address if u …Yes stupidity at its best ebay u can use shiply to check the address if u want next time but depends if the seller sells from the same adress or not

I always use Shiply to find out where a seller lives.
lynsaydyson4 h, 56 m ago

I provided an area code for myself and asked the seller where in …I provided an area code for myself and asked the seller where in nottingham he had the item. Totally naughty and a rule breaker me!

Never heard of that rule before. How would they even find out?
Shengis11 m ago

Messages sent between users on eBay are visible to eBay, and presumably these have tripped an automated check of some sort.
lynsaydyson5 h, 10 m ago

I provided an area code for myself and asked the seller where in …I provided an area code for myself and asked the seller where in nottingham he had the item. Totally naughty and a rule breaker me!

Out of interest, did they direct you to the relevant policy page?
I ask whereabouts sellers are all the time never had an issue before. You cant decide to bid on an item if you don't know where you'll be going for pick up! Although I always ask for the postcode and most are happy to give it.
It's eBay rules to protect the seller what if he gave you his postcode and you went there in person and stole the item or cash in hand etc.
All against ebay policy and if anything went wrong with payment because you didn't pay by cheque or PayPal there would be no insurance if anything went wrong
Splice38 m ago

It's eBay rules to protect the seller what if he gave you his postcode and …It's eBay rules to protect the seller what if he gave you his postcode and you went there in person and stole the item or cash in hand etc.All against ebay policy and if anything went wrong with payment because you didn't pay by cheque or PayPal there would be no insurance if anything went wrong

They do it because they are frightened you'll contact the seller and arrange the sale 'outside' of ebay and they won't get their fees.
Pandamansays24 m ago

They do it because they are frightened you'll contact the seller and …They do it because they are frightened you'll contact the seller and arrange the sale 'outside' of ebay and they won't get their fees.

That too
I had gotten a warning before for the same thing. But as the seller.
Handed my address and number out and got a warning for breach of sale. Everything has to be done via eBay.

He wanted my number to ring me when he was close.
Splice6 h, 30 m ago

It's eBay rules to protect the seller what if he gave you his postcode and …It's eBay rules to protect the seller what if he gave you his postcode and you went there in person and stole the item or cash in hand etc.All against ebay policy and if anything went wrong with payment because you didn't pay by cheque or PayPal there would be no insurance if anything went wrong

A postcode does not reveal a specific address
chocci55 m ago

Once they have postcode they just need door number postcodes can be searched on royailmail postcode search
Splice11 m ago

Once they have postcode they just need door number postcodes can be …Once they have postcode they just need door number postcodes can be searched on royailmail postcode search

So, as @choccy said, a postcode doesn't reveal an address
benjammin31652 s ago

So, as @choccy said, a postcode doesn't reveal an address

A postcode gives address but no door number
Splice1 m ago

A postcode gives address but no door number

Exactly

So your comment was nonsense

"what if he gave you his postcode and you went there in person and stole the item or cash in hand etc"
chocci1 h, 13 m ago

Mine does. It's the only house with that post code.

The contact policy was updated last Autumn. pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml

We also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.).
chocci7 m ago

ExactlySo your comment was nonsense"what if he gave you his postcode and …ExactlySo your comment was nonsense"what if he gave you his postcode and you went there in person and stole the item or cash in hand etc"

No you idiot reason 1 the seller might have given the buyer full address, reason 2 they have post code but no door number if they want to find you they just need to knock on doors and ask people depending if they have your name or other information throghe eBay
windym3 m ago

Mine does. It's the only house with that post code.The contact policy was …Mine does. It's the only house with that post code.The contact policy was updated last Autumn. http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.htmlWe also don't allow members to exchange email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.).

Yes it depends on the person address sometimes postcode reveals specific address
Shengis9 h, 47 m ago

They said it was flagged in my messages on ebay.
Illusionary9 h, 34 m ago

Out of interest, did they direct you to the relevant policy page?

No and it was from a no reply email aswell
Splice2 h, 32 m ago

No you idiot reason 1 the seller might have given the buyer full address, …No you idiot reason 1 the seller might have given the buyer full address, reason 2 they have post code but no door number if they want to find you they just need to knock on doors and ask people depending if they have your name or other information throghe eBay

^^^ First class imbecile

Thanks for proving my point but you are really embarrassing yourself lately with your usual misinformation and general nonsense you keep spouting on about.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants