eBay help

Posted 4th Jan
So I've put up an auction this weekend for an item that is worth £500 plus. Alarm bells have already started ringing as someone has just placed a bid and has a feedback score of (1).
There are 6 days left to run on the auction but does anyone know what I can do to protect myself from an unscrupulous buyer. I've put in as many measures as eBay allow me,i.e not allowing bids from non payers but eBay doesn't allow you to block buyers with a low feedback as obviously that prevents the genuine new ebayers from having a fair crack at the whip.. ..of which this could of course be one but ........I'm thinking not.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
You should be able to cancel/block any bidders you’re not comfortable with - I’ve done it multiple times - if you google cancelling bids/blocking bidders / self help guides pop up
sohailh198404/01/2020 20:53

You should be able to cancel/block any bidders you’re not comfortable with …You should be able to cancel/block any bidders you’re not comfortable with - I’ve done it multiple times - if you google cancelling bids/blocking bidders / self help guides pop up

Thank you for your quick reply. I have done that but the guy/gal has already bid on the item. Will putting their name into the blocking bidders part,stop them from bidding again???
Burkos04/01/2020 20:54

Thank you for your quick reply. I have done that but the guy/gal has …Thank you for your quick reply. I have done that but the guy/gal has already bid on the item. Will putting their name into the blocking bidders part,stop them from bidding again???

Yeah so if you’ve cancelled their bid, then added them to your block list, they won’t be able to bid again
As above, cancel the bid if you feel uncomfortable with it. Place a notice in your ad that users with low feedback have to contact you prior to bidding
sohailh198404/01/2020 20:55

Yeah so if you’ve cancelled their bid, then added them to your block list, …Yeah so if you’ve cancelled their bid, then added them to your block list, they won’t be able to bid again

Didn't realise you could actually cancel someone's bid.
Burkos04/01/2020 20:56

Didn't realise you could actually cancel someone's bid.

See above - posted a link
Burkos04/01/2020 20:56

Wow. Cheers. I'll have a gander.

Thank you for your help. Successfully cancelled.
rogan179104/01/2020 20:55

As above, cancel the bid if you feel uncomfortable with it. Place a notice …As above, cancel the bid if you feel uncomfortable with it. Place a notice in your ad that users with low feedback have to contact you prior to bidding

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Just because someone only has a feedback of 1 it doesn’t automatically mean that they are going to try and scam you. We all had to start off somewhere on eBay and for all you know someone else might well outbid them. I’ve been in exactly the same situation on eBay as you so I do understand the concern when selling an item with that kind of value to someone that appears to be a brand new user.
Is it collection only or posting?

What kind of product is it?

If collection only: CASH ONLY! Never PayPal as you have no proof of delivery/receipt.
If posting: only post to the registered eBay/paypal address of the buyer. Insure it properly.

If it's electronic: take note of the serial numbers.

Take lots of photos.

Don't stress about new buyers, everyone has to start somewhere and it doesn't mean you've got a scammer buyer. I would message the buyer and ask some boring questions to make sure they're human and understand the product and are happy with the condition etc and can communicate properly. If someone communicates with you they usually are wanting the product and it also shows them that you're a genuine seller which will put their minds at ease.
Haircut_10004/01/2020 21:35

Just because someone only has a feedback of 1 it doesn’t automatically m …Just because someone only has a feedback of 1 it doesn’t automatically mean that they are going to try and scam you. We all had to start off somewhere on eBay and for all you know someone else might well outbid them. I’ve been in exactly the same situation on eBay as you so I do understand the concern when selling an item with that kind of value to someone that appears to be a brand new user.

I know this and I alluded to it in my last sentence. I've been burnt before on eBay and don't want to go through it again so I'd prefer not to take the risk with a high value item.
sicklysweet04/01/2020 21:52

Is it collection only or posting?What kind of product is it?If collection …Is it collection only or posting?What kind of product is it?If collection only: CASH ONLY! Never PayPal as you have no proof of delivery/receipt.If posting: only post to the registered eBay/paypal address of the buyer. Insure it properly.If it's electronic: take note of the serial numbers.Take lots of photos. Don't stress about new buyers, everyone has to start somewhere and it doesn't mean you've got a scammer buyer. I would message the buyer and ask some boring questions to make sure they're human and understand the product and are happy with the condition etc and can communicate properly. If someone communicates with you they usually are wanting the product and it also shows them that you're a genuine seller which will put their minds at ease.

Thanks for this. It's a virtual reality headset and I'll be posting it. I only stress about new buyers because I've been burnt before.
Burkos04/01/2020 21:58

Thanks for this. It's a virtual reality headset and I'll be posting it. I …Thanks for this. It's a virtual reality headset and I'll be posting it. I only stress about new buyers because I've been burnt before.

Ok, if posting then make sure you have photos of it at all stages of packaging it up. Photos cost nothing and can help you if required.

Package it up so if it fell out of an aeroplane it would survive. So many times expensive things are packaged so badly and they are damaged; it's such a waste and sellers think it's the buyer doing a fast one but it's genuinely down to poor packaging.

Take photos of the serial number. Do not post the full serial number on the eBay page, but do post one photo with some of the numbers marked out in case of warranty fraud etc.

Offer the option of cash on collection, or say that you're happy to meet at a local bank to do the exchange there. This shows the buyer that you are happy to meet and are a genuine seller. This potentially saves you hassle and fees too.

DO NOT under any circumstances accept PayPal and collection, as you will have no proof of delivery.

Use a fully tracked and insured delivery method; I would suggest Royal Mail Special Delivery.

State on the selling page that you have noted the serial numbers, and are happy to meet in person for cash on collection at a bank (neutral place of safety). This shows that you have the product and that you are on the ball with regards to sniffing out dodgy dealings. Scammers are less likely to try it on with someone who is aware of these things as they prefer the easy targets.

Do communicate with bidders prior to the auction ending. It is a lot of money for both sides to 'risk' on eBay, and as a buyer I would appreciate it whilst as a seller I find that it tends to weed out the dodgy buyers.

Don't forget buyers will be nervous about the purchase as you seem a fairly naive/new seller, so both sides of the sale need reassurance and for it to be a smooth and happy sale.
Burkos04/01/2020 21:58

Thanks for this. It's a virtual reality headset and I'll be posting it. I …Thanks for this. It's a virtual reality headset and I'll be posting it. I only stress about new buyers because I've been burnt before.

And have you considered selling locally on your Facebook marketplace or the likes?

Face to face, and cash, is the least risky for you so this would have been my first method of sale.
sicklysweet04/01/2020 22:12

Ok, if posting then make sure you have photos of it at all stages of …Ok, if posting then make sure you have photos of it at all stages of packaging it up. Photos cost nothing and can help you if required.Package it up so if it fell out of an aeroplane it would survive. So many times expensive things are packaged so badly and they are damaged; it's such a waste and sellers think it's the buyer doing a fast one but it's genuinely down to poor packaging.Take photos of the serial number. Do not post the full serial number on the eBay page, but do post one photo with some of the numbers marked out in case of warranty fraud etc.Offer the option of cash on collection, or say that you're happy to meet at a local bank to do the exchange there. This shows the buyer that you are happy to meet and are a genuine seller. This potentially saves you hassle and fees too.DO NOT under any circumstances accept PayPal and collection, as you will have no proof of delivery.Use a fully tracked and insured delivery method; I would suggest Royal Mail Special Delivery.State on the selling page that you have noted the serial numbers, and are happy to meet in person for cash on collection at a bank (neutral place of safety). This shows that you have the product and that you are on the ball with regards to sniffing out dodgy dealings. Scammers are less likely to try it on with someone who is aware of these things as they prefer the easy targets.Do communicate with bidders prior to the auction ending. It is a lot of money for both sides to 'risk' on eBay, and as a buyer I would appreciate it whilst as a seller I find that it tends to weed out the dodgy buyers.Don't forget buyers will be nervous about the purchase as you seem a fairly naive/new seller, so both sides of the sale need reassurance and for it to be a smooth and happy sale.

Cheers . Thank you so much for all your help.
I have sold to buyers with zero or low feedback loads of times. So long as their address is confirmed & you post with tracking & signature I doubt you will have a problem.

We have over 1500 feedback & the only time someone has tried to con us is when we were the buyer. I think its quick to forget most people in the UK only use ebay rarely if at all.
The amount of feedback a buyer has is pretty much irrelevant. For high value items i video the packaging process making sure i get the postage label, serial number and weight of the parcel, pictures are no good as they don't capture the whole process. I always wrap the parcel completely in brown tape so no one can claim the box has opened in transit. Always post to the address on ebay/paypal, no exceptions and use UPS or DPD. Do not use Herpes or Yodel. I've never been scammed in over 10 years on a high value item. Had loads of large envelopes go 'missing' over the years but it's still cheaper than paying for recorded. I personally never offer collections as that opens you up to far worse possibilities than losing a parcel.
I do similar to above. Any high value item I sell goes via same procedure. Park up at my local post office with everything needed for packaging in the car. Video the item working fine, show any serial numbers and video the whole packaging procedure and me also walking straight into post office and also video the receipt when it is given (obviously I don't film inside PO openly in case they mind but camera doesn't leave the package).

Had no problems on any high items so far, sold a few to 0 feedback buyers too. Only been conned once for a £3 item which they took claim back once I showed proof.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions