ebay help

Found 8th Nov 2010
I have just purchased a iphone from ebay through a private transaction using paypal but the seller has not ended the listing, I have sent an email requesting him to do that but was wondering can he still sell the item if he gets a higher bid?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
74 Comments

Ooops!

Banned

you cant be serious

haha epic as always

please tell me u didnt use paypal gift????????

wow so is this right you gave him the money as a gift and not through ebay so even with any messages ebay wont help as you broke there buying rules

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8573/scamf.jpg
Edited by: "numptyj" 8th Nov 2010

oops someone's going to have a good time shopping this weekend. Fingers crossed the seller hasn't seen your emails and you get the phone but paying outside ebay and directly via PayPal you've put yourself in a very vulnerable situation

Did You Give As Gift???

"through a private transaction"

oh dear! oO

Please define 'private transaction'.
If you did a bank transfer or paypal gift then you may have issues.

Well... what's happened?

whatsThePoint

Maybe op is having troble seeing thru the tears at the moment and will … Maybe op is having troble seeing thru the tears at the moment and will update later

That...or do I smell just a whiff of troll poop?

post the item number OP

oh noes

whatsThePoint

They were asking where to get an iphone a week ago and rarely post so … They were asking where to get an iphone a week ago and rarely post so this could be real

Oh, that doesn't sound good...I hope they haven't been scammed, it's a hideous feeling and there's little comeback and chance of money retrieval if bought outside of eBay and no contact details.
What is the seller's feedback like?
Can you request the seller's contact details from eBay? I know you can if you are the winning bidder, but not sure if you can if you haven't won anything.

sickly sweet

Oh, that doesn't sound good...I hope they haven't been scammed, it's a … Oh, that doesn't sound good...I hope they haven't been scammed, it's a hideous feeling and there's little comeback and chance of money retrieval if bought outside of eBay and no contact details.What is the seller's feedback like?Can you request the seller's contact details from eBay? I know you can if you are the winning bidder, but not sure if you can if you haven't won anything.

They wont have details if they just paid by paypal to a random account,they wont get the details from ebay either,

little use now in telling them the risk they took,I think they are serious,and it's not a wind up

lol i bet their queueing up in a supermarket and getting the elite version of COD

Original Poster

sorry its took so long to reply, I still haven't received the phone i am getting seriously worried I dont even know if I sent as a gift how do I check this? the seller has been answering my emails and he did end the listing just after i had posted this, I am hoping it comes Monday as it did say 3-5 working days and I payed on the evening of the 8th. I'll be devastated if it don't come I have really saved hard for this as its all my daughter wants for Christmas:(

Original Poster

Hello m doyle,

L@@@ @@@@@@ would like to be paid through PayPal.

Merchant
L@@@ @@@@@@
l@@@@@@@.co.uk
Note from merchant
**ITEM DESCRIPTION** Brand new iPhone 3GS 16GB White in original box. Still cellophane sealed, I haven't even had it open! Comes with all the usual iPhone bits, charger USB and handsfree. Unsure if it is locked to network (I am on vodafone) Includes 1st Class Postage to confirmed paypal address
Description Amount
Goods £257.00 GBP
Total £257.00 GBP
Pay with PayPal

L*** ***** would like you to use PayPal - the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online. Click Pay Now to continue.
Edited by: "kckleekyle" 13th Nov 2010

Original Poster

This is how i paid, what do you all think should I be worried ?
Edited by: "kckleekyle" 13th Nov 2010

yes,you should be worried so what was the item number

Banned

well you can do a chargeback if it doesnt ariive.
whats his feedback like?

Banned

grabbit

What have i missed?
Its not paypal gift and it looks like he has a business account.
Obviously without seeing the feedback can't be sure but don't see any reason just yet to be worried?

Banned

colinsunderland

well you can do a chargeback if it does ariive.whats his feedback like?

can you do a chargeback for paypal gift payments then?

Banned

kckleekyle

This is how i paid, what do you all think should I be worried ?

yes, especially if he :-

1. hasnt sent you any tracking info

2. you paid via paypal gift

3. item is still listed

Original Poster

grabbit

Banned

csiman

can you do a chargeback for paypal gift payments then?

i must be stupid tonight - where does it say gift?
Didn't think you could send a money request and require paying by gift

Original Poster

csiman

yes, especially if he :-1. hasnt sent you any tracking info =no info2. … yes, especially if he :-1. hasnt sent you any tracking info =no info2. you paid via paypal gift=not sure3. item is still listed

=he took it off same day

It says 1st class recorded,has he supplied the tracking number and if not why not

Original Poster

how do I check if i paid by gift?

Banned

colinsunderland

i must be stupid tonight - where does it say gift?Didn't think you could … i must be stupid tonight - where does it say gift?Didn't think you could send a money request and require paying by gift

post 23 suggests OP doesnt know payment method. Seller could just email buyer with an email payment request and OP might have just logged in and paid. I doubt it though.

OP didnt go through ebay and just sent money privately

I'd be very worried, especially as seller is being unresponsive

Banned

kckleekyle

how do I check if i paid by gift?

the paypal payment email will say

Original Poster

grabbit

It says 1st class recorded,has he supplied the tracking number and if not … It says 1st class recorded,has he supplied the tracking number and if not why not

I asked when I should expect the phone and his reply was (Thats ok, no problem, i'll speak to the receptionist who does our post and get a tracking number for you - will be in touch later :-)
that was yesterday but had no reply since then?

Banned

well post 24 looks like a money request through paypal which isn't a gift payment, and in post 23 he says the seller has been answering emails?

I'd be more worried he had posted it recorded and it was lost than the seller not sending!

log onto your paypal account and look at the transaction details

Original Poster

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)

Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
8 Nov 2010 Payment To ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Completed ... -£257.00 GBP

Related Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
8 Nov 2010 Add Funds from a Bank Account Completed Details £254.80 GBP

Sent to:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Email:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amount sent:
-£257.00 GBP
Fee amount:
£0.00 GBP
Net amount:
-£257.00 GBP

Date:
8 Nov 2010
Time:
21:38:56 GMT
Completed

Subject:
L@@@@@@@@@
Funding Type:
PayPal Balance and Instant Bank Transfer
Funding Source:
£2.20 GBP - PayPal Account
£254.80 GBP - llyods tsb Current (Confirmed) x-0868
Back-Up Funding Source:
Visa/Delta/Electron Card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-6810

You can report a transaction problem in the Resolution Centre within 45 days of this payment. Have a problem with this transaction? Click here to resolve

Why would you buy such an expensive item from ebay but then do it outside of ebay. It's bad enough buying a phone through ebay, but what you did was beyond idiotic.

It isn't as bad as it originally looked but it should have been sent special delivery,would have saved some of the stress and risk,best you can do for now is push him for the tracking number or consider opening a dispute if he doesn't produce one,

you'll still have that oprtion later anyhow if it has got lost or whatever

Original Poster

pinkleponkle

Why would you buy such an expensive item from ebay but then do it outside … Why would you buy such an expensive item from ebay but then do it outside of ebay. It's bad enough buying a phone through ebay, but what you did was beyond idiotic.

Because it was an auction only and I emailed him offering a price to buy it now, I thought I was safe paying by paypal as he has put the phone details on the paypal invoice it didn't seem like I was being an idiot

You should have got him to close the auction and relist at the agreed price buy it now. If he is dodgy then the way you have done it will result in you winning your paypal claim but the account will have been mothballed by then and you get nothing back. Ok it may all end fine, but you left yourself wide open to a scam.
Post a comment
@
    Text