Ebay help and removing negative feedback

Found 19th Mar 2009
Sold a item on ebay the buyer contacted me 1 week later saying the item had a small rip in it. I replied by saying i did not send it out like that so it must of got damaged in transit. I offered a refund upon returning the item back. I heard nothing back from him for over a week then bam i got a negative feedback and his comments are way out of order saying that im not helpful. Im not sure how helpful he wanted me to be but offering a refund for a item after him returning is the best i could do.

My question is. Ebay wont remove the feedback if you just email them saying the comments in the feedback are a bunch of lies. So there is another option and thats ,,,,
''''If you feel that a Feedback comment you've received is defamatory as
defined by the law, we'll remove it if you send us a valid Notice of
False and Defamatory Content confirming your belief that the comment is
defamatory''''

Anyone done this before?

24 Comments

you can respond to the feedback I think if that helps get your side across

Can you still post responses to feedback? Not done it for ages... but I think that's all you'll be able to do.

Just post a response to the Neg saying that you offered full refund on return after was damaged in the post, and you are disappointed with the neg (or something like that).

Am pretty sure they'd only remove it if he called you something unacceptable, etc.

Leave a reply under their feedback stating you offered a refund upon returning the item.

*seem we were all typing our replies at the same time

Ever since ebay removed a seller's right to leave neutral or negative feedback last year, it became a buyers market and severely p*ssed me off.

I've had 3 negative in the last few months for similar reasons. It's got to the stage now where i don't even want to use the site any more.

They want buyers to buy in confidence, yet they don't mind sellers (who earn them the most money) being messed about with non-payment, lies, refusing to communicate, refusing refunds and generally leaving bad feedback for any reason their tiny little minds deem suitable.

It's a buyers website. The sellers on their either - are fools or don't care about being shafted by the buyers and the site

You can contact ebay via the Resolution Centre - link on their site. If you've messages you've sent to him via Ebay's system (which is always the best advice), they can track the correspondence and if there's no reason for him leaving you neg (i.e you've fulfilled your side), you can get the feedback withdrawn.

hodsey77;4687174

Can you still post responses to feedback? Not done it for ages... but I … Can you still post responses to feedback? Not done it for ages... but I think that's all you'll be able to do. Just post a response to the Neg saying that you offered full refund on return after was damaged in the post, and you are disappointed with the neg (or something like that).Am pretty sure they'd only remove it if he called you something unacceptable, etc.

You still can do yeah, but that's all you can do - pathetic

If it is defamatory you have to get a letter signed by a solicitor stating that it is, then they will remove it. It depends what they said about you really.

FWIW, Ebay removed the Negative Feedback from sellers because they were using it in retaliation to buyers leaving negative feedback (which was against the rules anyway).

Questions:
1. Had the funds cleared before you posted the item?
2. Had you already left positive feedback?

I agree with sellers not being able to leave negative feedback, too many were using it in retaliation. I do however think they should be able to leave neutral feedback, it shouldn't effect the buyers score, but will show that a sale has gone bad for what ever reasons.

ChipSticks;4687348

I agree with sellers not being able to leave negative feedback, too many … I agree with sellers not being able to leave negative feedback, too many were using it in retaliation. I do however think they should be able to leave neutral feedback, it shouldn't effect the buyers score, but will show that a sale has gone bad for what ever reasons.

I can't think of a reason why a seller would leave anything but positive feedback on an item!!

1. Buyer bids/BIN and wins the item.
2. Buyer pays for item.
3. Seller receives payment.
4. Seller confirms cleared funds.
5. Seller leaves positive feedback.

You're not going to send the item until funds are cleared, so at what point of the transaction is going to warrant negative or neutral feedback?

ebay sucks for the seller ! im fed up of buyers not paying .. its happened to me twice this week already.
i did get one neutral feedback once and it took my score down to 99. something but that was a while ago

Original Poster

Basically if the item did arrive damaged then he should do a paypal dispute send the goods back and he get sa refund. I claim from the courier job done.

Yet he prefers to keep the so called damaged goods which may i add cost him £100 odd. And files me a negative feedback saying im unhelpfull. That has annoyed me so much.

and do not get me started on non paying buyers. I just hate ebay yet im forced to use it as its the only auction with so many members on it.

Xb0xGuru;4687393

I can't think of a reason why a seller would leave anything but positive … I can't think of a reason why a seller would leave anything but positive feedback on an item!!1. Buyer bids/BIN and wins the item.2. Buyer pays for item.3. Seller receives payment.4. Seller confirms cleared funds.5. Seller leaves positive feedback.You're not going to send the item until funds are cleared, so at what point of the transaction is going to warrant negative or neutral feedback?

You've either not used ebay much or are very naive indeed

Stradders;4687475

You've either not used ebay much or are very naive indeed

I use it often enough, but maybe not as much as others!

So enlighten me - why would you leave a buyer negative feedback?

Xb0xGuru;4687393

I can't think of a reason why a seller would leave anything but positive … I can't think of a reason why a seller would leave anything but positive feedback on an item!!1. Buyer bids/BIN and wins the item.2. Buyer pays for item.3. Seller receives payment.4. Seller confirms cleared funds.5. Seller leaves positive feedback.You're not going to send the item until funds are cleared, so at what point of the transaction is going to warrant negative or neutral feedback?

Lmao. yes, that's the theory of how feedback was supposed to work. In reality it went more like this

1. Buyer bids/BIN and wins the item.
2. Buyer pays for item.
3. Seller receives payment.
4. Seller confirms cleared funds.
5. Seller waits for buyer to receive item.

6a. Buyer was happy with item, leaves positive feedback, seller says yay and also leaves positive feedback.

6b. buyer isn't happy for whatever reason and either decides to not leave feedback (to protect their own score.) or leaves a neg and gets negged in return.

MANY sellers didn't leave feedback (and still don't) until they received it first. It was used as a bargain tool and a way to protect their score.

something had to be done to sort it out, but IMO ebay went too far, there is common ground in the middle, they just have to find it.

ChipSticks;4687555

Lmao. yes, that's the theory of how feedback was supposed to work. In … Lmao. yes, that's the theory of how feedback was supposed to work. In reality it went more like this1. Buyer bids/BIN and wins the item.2. Buyer pays for item.3. Seller receives payment.4. Seller confirms cleared funds.5. Seller waits for buyer to receive item.6a. Buyer was happy with item, leaves positive feedback, seller says yay and also leaves positive feedback.6b. buyer isn't happy for whatever reason and either decides to not leave feedback (to protect their own score.) or leaves a neg and gets negged in return.MANY buyers didn't leave feedback (and still don't) until they received it first. It was used as a bargain tool.

Was that a typo? Did you not mean sellers didn't leave feedback until it's been received? Obviously a buyer's not going to leave feedback until they have the item and are happy with it.

Xb0xGuru;4687580

Was that a typo? Did you not mean sellers didn't leave feedback until … Was that a typo? Did you not mean sellers didn't leave feedback until it's been received? Obviously a buyer's not going to leave feedback until they have the item and are happy with it.

yes that was a typo, corrected.

tinkerbell28;4687602

I know what you mean and I agree.

I have over 400 feedback as a buyer and a seller on ebay, 100% score. There have been more than a few transactions I didn't leave any feedback for because I wasn't happy, but I knew I would get a big fat neg in return, just wasn't worth it to me.

tinkerbell28;4687675

It's why they stopped it, but it's gone to far the other way now, they … It's why they stopped it, but it's gone to far the other way now, they need to find some middle ground.

Definitely.

Which is why I think sellers should be able to leave neutral feedback that doesn't effect the buyers score. I know its still not perfect, but at least you would be able to leave appropriate feedback for time wasters etc instead of just having to sit back and take an uncalled for neg.

Xb0xGuru;4687532

I use it often enough, but maybe not as much as others!So enlighten me - … I use it often enough, but maybe not as much as others!So enlighten me - why would you leave a buyer negative feedback?

Item gets sent but buyer does not receive it. They leave you neg for non-receipt

Item gets sent and buyer receives it. He says he doesn't and leaves you neg

Item gets sent and buyer receives it. They say it's faulty/damaged/not as described when it left you in perfect condition and no way RM could have damaged it. They leave you neg

Item gets sent and buyer receives it. They don't like it but cba to send it back so leave you neg.

Item gets sent and buyer receives it. They ask for refund then put in a dispute straight away. They want a refund ASAP but have a dispute open. You can refund them ASAP but what if they say in the dispute that you haven't ? Two refunds coming their way and a neg for you...

Etc. etc.

If a buyer doesn't pay, never replies to emails, replies to emails months after you've relisted and sold it (they can still leave you neg) ,say they meant to cancel a second bid not retract it and ending up winning an item they say they don't want, the list is endless....

You can send your item recorded delivery to quell the non-receipt neggers, but it may not arrive at their house for ages due to too many redelivery attempts etc., or they live in flats and someone else has signed for it.

All these are commonplace situations that i deal with all the time, along with probably many others.

You can be the best, most honest reputable seller on the planet doing everything in your power to make the transaction go smoothly, as soon as that auction ends a buyer can leave you a neg for no reason whatsoever.

Buyers market. NFT

Stradders;4687798

Item gets sent but buyer does not receive it. They leave you neg for … Item gets sent but buyer does not receive it. They leave you neg for non-receiptItem gets sent and buyer receives it. He says he doesn't and leaves you negItem gets sent and buyer receives it. They say it's faulty/damaged/not as described when it left you in perfect condition and no way RM could have damaged it. They leave you negItem gets sent and buyer receives it. They don't like it but cba to send it back so leave you neg.Item gets sent and buyer receives it. They ask for refund then put in a dispute straight away. They want a refund ASAP but have a dispute open. You can refund them ASAP but what if they say in the dispute that you haven't ? Two refunds coming their way and a neg for you...Etc. etc.

Sorry, I asked under what circumstances you (as the seller) would leave the buyer negative feedback? All the points above are about the buyer leaving you negative feedback!

Xb0xGuru;4689750

Sorry, I asked under what circumstances you (as the seller) would leave … Sorry, I asked under what circumstances you (as the seller) would leave the buyer negative feedback? All the points above are about the buyer leaving you negative feedback!

Yes i know, and all of the above scenarios is where i'll give bad feedback, plus more.

Thing is, even as a seller being messed about by a buyer with non-payment and no communication, you feel that you can't give a neg then for fear of getting one in return.

It's a buyers market now, unless you don't care about having bad feedback and being messed about.

Plus the fact that there are loads of shill bidding sellers out there, helped by the new 'private auction' facility, and when you sell something of value it fetches hardly anything. When you sell tat it can fetch more than it's worth.

Xb0xGuru;4689750

Sorry, I asked under what circumstances you (as the seller) would leave … Sorry, I asked under what circumstances you (as the seller) would leave the buyer negative feedback? All the points above are about the buyer leaving you negative feedback!

Yes i know, and all of the above scenarios is where i'll give bad feedback, plus more.

Thing is, even as a seller being messed about by a buyer with non-payment and no communication, you feel that you can't give a neg then for fear of getting one in return.

It's a buyers market now, unless you don't care about having bad feedback and being messed about.

Plus the fact that there are loads of shill bidding sellers out there, helped by the new 'private auction' facility, and when you sell something of value it fetches hardly anything. When you sell tat it can fetch more than it's worth.

No consistency whatsoever

Stradders;4699056

Yes i know, and all of the above scenarios is where i'll give bad … Yes i know, and all of the above scenarios is where i'll give bad feedback, plus more.

So instead of going through the process laid out by Ebay in resolving negative feedback left by buyers, you choose to retaliate with negative feedback. Are you not at all surprised why Ebay ceased this activity? I'm not condoning the buyer's actions whatsoever - if I have a problem with an item, I'll contact the seller first and foremost - it's unacceptable to just leave negative feedback to the seller without communication (as laid out in Ebay's rules). It's equally unacceptable for the seller to retaliate with negative feedback too - not only was (as you can't do it any more) it against the rules of Ebay, but it makes you as bad as they are!

Stradders;4699056

Thing is, even as a seller being messed about by a buyer with non-payment … Thing is, even as a seller being messed about by a buyer with non-payment and no communication, you feel that you can't give a neg then for fear of getting one in return.

I don't understand this part - the buyer doesn't pay you and there's no communication. You have options to offer it to the next bidder or to contact Ebay and get the situation resolved mutually. If Ebay have a history of the buyer messing others around, they'll suspend the account.

The reason Ebay's such as mess is

a) it's not policed by Ebay themselves anywhere near as much as it should be.
b) the community fail to follow the correct resolution steps for an incident, leaving room for retaliation feedback. taking matters into your own hands because you're not happy with the status quo is counter-intuitive. It's one of those things where you either use the site as intended and if you're not happy, go to go someplace else to sell things!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…811
    2. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?35
    3. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?22
    4. Electric Bike Advice.11

See more discussions