Groups

ebay help. How should I handle this horrible buyer? :(

Sold an item, but the buyer is claiming I sent a less valuable item from the brand. This is impossible. The buyer demanded I either send another item or give a partial refund.

I'm so angry, how can I expose this liar? I have the exact item weight from the courier.

25 Comments

Good luck mate. .. ebay will always side with the buyer from everything I read and hear

Ebay will always side with buyer as theg said, so maybe best bet is tell buyer to return item sent and then give refund, maybe they'll change their tune
    Edited by: "fixup-looksharp" 31st Dec 2015

If buyer not happy then they should send it back for a full refund, they need to return it to you recorded delivery so make sure you get it, you should try and keep calm and be as helpful as possible.

I agree ask the buyer to return the item they received & give a full refund including original postage, but the buyer has to pay for the return postage, Good luck.

Original Poster

brighteyes1984

I agree ask the buyer to return the item they received & give a full … I agree ask the buyer to return the item they received & give a full refund including original postage, but the buyer has to pay for the return postage, Good luck.

The case says seller pays return shipping when the item is being returned because it isn't as described

Keeping in contact and being helping in emails to resolve the issue is important. If you call eBay they may be able to give you some valuable advise. If you have any additional photos of the item and a copy of proof of postage will hopefully favour you. If they return the item photo step by step you opening it. Also you mention weight, is cheaper version lighter/ heavier.?

I hope you get this sorted as they can be on buyers side mostly but if you give as much evidence as possible fingers crossed

Original Poster

pinklillypops

Keeping in contact and being helping in emails to resolve the issue is … Keeping in contact and being helping in emails to resolve the issue is important. If you call eBay they may be able to give you some valuable advise. If you have any additional photos of the item and a copy of proof of postage will hopefully favour you. If they return the item photo step by step you opening it. Also you mention weight, is cheaper version lighter/ heavier.?I hope you get this sorted as they can be on buyers side mostly but if you give as much evidence as possible fingers crossed

Thanks for the valuable advise.

Yes, the cheaper version is much lighter/smaller.

Comment

chance189

The case says seller pays return shipping when the item is being returned … The case says seller pays return shipping when the item is being returned because it isn't as described

This is true if item is not as described. You would give refund after you receive return. But contact ebay with these pics and hopefully they will decide no cost to you.

They MUST return item to you to get a refund. As long as you agree to this the cost of return postage will depend on outcome

Get him to return it and when it arrives say it never did beat him at his poxy game lol

Tell them to return it and if the security marks check out you'll refund them. They don't have to know you haven't made security marks...

pinklillypops

CommentThis is true if item is not as described. You would give refund … CommentThis is true if item is not as described. You would give refund after you receive return. But contact ebay with these pics and hopefully they will decide no cost to you.They MUST return item to you to get a refund. As long as you agree to this the cost of return postage will depend on outcome

Wrong info mate, the seller MUST pay for the item to be returned.

This happens to a friend in work and she asks them to send the item back and never has anyone sent it back. You could call their bluff like they must be with you and state you will full refund the postage when item is received back to you.

Oh no what a nightmare I hope you get it sorted. Surely Ebay must be able to help because it doesn't protect the seller very much does it.

I hate ebay. Bought a brand new jumper (FCUK) which was blatantly bobbled & worn, seller would not respond to any questions - ended up giving seller neg feedback and was stuck with the jumper. Learned my lesson, don't go on that site much now.

ask the buyer to send some pictures of the item. if not just have it sent back and move on. its best to just keep away from buyer like this. a lot of buyers try the luck on ebay.

joesmum

I hate ebay. Bought a brand new jumper (FCUK) which was blatantly … I hate ebay. Bought a brand new jumper (FCUK) which was blatantly bobbled & worn, seller would not respond to any questions - ended up giving seller neg feedback and was stuck with the jumper. Learned my lesson, don't go on that site much now.

you should've opened a case and got a refund!

I sold a pair of virtually new Ugg boots on ebay, the buyer sent me a picture of a similar pair with a hole at the front. She opened a case stating item not as described. Ebay took the side of the buyer and gave her a refund without returning my boots. Be carefull, i don't use the site anymore.

I don't use ebay to sell anymore for similar reasons. It's a known scan now.
    Here's how it goes.
    Buyer damages o or breaks something,
    Buyer finds a suitable replacement on ebay and buys
    Buyer then claims item received is not as described and asks for a refund.
    Buyer returns their own faulty damaged item, not the one you sent.
    Ebay always side with the buyer, add that to the fees now and I'd rather give stuff to charity than be hassled with Ebay.

What was the item you sold?

Tell him you can personaly collect the item and check it out as you have the serial numbers

glass_half_full

I sold a pair of virtually new Ugg boots on ebay, the buyer sent me a … I sold a pair of virtually new Ugg boots on ebay, the buyer sent me a picture of a similar pair with a hole at the front. She opened a case stating item not as described. Ebay took the side of the buyer and gave her a refund without returning my boots. Be carefull, i don't use the site anymore.

I had similar case happen to me 2-3 times. Buyer trying it on. I always say I will issue refund upon return of the goods back to me and checking the serial numbers/security marks. Never heard from any of them since.

I don't know what your item was, but would know the exact item? is serial number or something? I had a similar case, but in my case it apparently didn't work when they received it. I told them to return it to me for a full refund and the cheeky sod sent me back a damaged one back but I had recorded the serial number and marked it with invisible marker! Busted! eBay/paypal did then side with me. winner!

chance189

The case says seller pays return shipping when the item is being returned … The case says seller pays return shipping when the item is being returned because it isn't as described

I didn't realise that rule had changed that the seller has to pay for the return postage if an item is not as described it used to be the buyers responsibility.

you will have to ask ebay to step in, they will provide a link to a free postage label for the buyer to return it to you free of charge, then they will track the item, and once they see it is delivered back to you, they will issue a refund to buyer and reclaim it from your account.

i would end communication with the buyer and wait until you are able to get ebay to step in - 10 days i think.

i know this is their policy as it's just happened to me.

Ps: ebay has implemented this new policy because too many people were trying it on to get a partial refund, when as stated, the correct process if you are not happy with an item is to send it back!
    Edited by: "espirit77" 1st Jan 2015

gr8t1

I don't use ebay to sell anymore for similar reasons. It's a known scan … I don't use ebay to sell anymore for similar reasons. It's a known scan now.Here's how it goes.Buyer damages o or breaks something, Buyer finds a suitable replacement on ebay and buys Buyer then claims item received is not as described and asks for a refund.Buyer returns their own faulty damaged item, not the one you sent.Ebay always side with the buyer, add that to the fees now and I'd rather give stuff to charity than be hassled with Ebay.

horrible scam
    one definitely to be aware of
    not sure if this is what's happened in OP's case - seems like the buyer is just chancing for a discount

ALWAYS TAKE PHOTOS OF IDENTIFYING MARKS (for 2nd hand stuff) AND/OR SERIAL NUMBERS when you can
    threaten the scammer with a thinly veiled accusation of fraud (I will refund as soon as serial numbers and additional verification checks have been completed)
    i have seen a guy with an account from 1999 saying 'scammers jog on...i've been on eBay for 15 years and have seen every trick in the book. if you are trying to pull a scam, don't even bother' - now this could just be an empty threat as none of us can protect ourselves from scams like this, but it's been proven that psychologically that this will put people off.

OP....perhaps not 100% by the book, but an example of you taking justice into your own hands.....
    get them to return the item. don't mention anything about recorded or tracked return. *if* it doesn't arrive (which in my case, 100% guarantee it won't if it didn't come by those methods (_;)), then eBay will rule in your favour.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ap on iPhone ios1144
      2. Amazon Italy Galaxy S8 UK34
      3. Looking for an iPhone deal44
      4. VM Super Hub 3 printer issues22

See more discussions