Ebay help needed on a return

Found 9th Mar
Wonder if anyone can help or suggest action please? I bought a bag on ebay and the seller said it was 'like new'.. when it arrived, it had damage to the corners on the bag, the seller was unhelpful when questioned so I raised a return with Ebay who agreed I should return the bag and the seller should refund upon receipt.
I returned the bag by recorded delivery but the seller hasn't received the bag, not sure if they weren't in at the first delivery and not collecting it but the seller didn't want to refund.
Is there anything I can do? Presume the bag will eventually get returned to me by Royal Mail but am I right in thinking I can't get the refund if the seller doesn't collect the return?
Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments
Escalate it with ebay/PayPal?
Last i knew, paypal just needed a proof of return postage, so a tracking number would be all they need..
I think if you have proof of returning, then PayPal will refund you regardless of whether they have received it.
Yes escalate it and provide evidence of postage. You will get a refund, and may even get the item back if they dont accept it.
Original Poster
Thanks, I've looked on Ebay but I can't find anything to escalate it, will try PayPal.
sheripeterson20 m ago

Thanks, I've looked on Ebay but I can't find anything to escalate it, will …Thanks, I've looked on Ebay but I can't find anything to escalate it, will try PayPal.

Add the tracking details of the returned item to the claim you have opened and they will likely close it in your favour today. Not your fault the scamming seller didn't accept the return. Once they have lost the money they'll probably pick it up from the sorting office and relist it with the same description on ebay.
winifer2 h, 59 m ago

Last i knew, paypal just needed a proof of return postage, so a tracking …Last i knew, paypal just needed a proof of return postage, so a tracking number would be all they need..

Please don't overlook your basic position under UK law. An item was described to you as being like new. It was not. The item was incorrectly described You must inform the seller immediately and your sole obligation under UK law is to make it available for the seller to collect.

I had this with a Superdry coat bought on eBay which had a name written on the label and with Ikea when they shipped a unit with veneer missing.

You do not have to incur the cost of postage nor the risk that the seller says it was lost/damaged in transit due to your packaging and chosen method of delivery.

Both eBay and Ikea had to be told very bluntly about UK law and that UK law takes precedence over Ikea, eBay or Paypal Ts&Cs. eBay provided a pre-paid return parcel. Ikea picked the unit up.

If your item was over £100 and paid for on a credit card, you can hold the merchant equally liable and demand they repay the money. ALWAYS PAY ON A CC IF OVER £100. If there is a surcharge, all you have to do is pay £101 of the sum.

Take plenty of pictures and be reasonable. Like new is not new.
Why did you use "recorded delivery" (which doesn't exist?). If you'd opened a case with eBay, they provide a tracked return label.
If the tracking shows seller didn't collect, missed delivery all the times, refused delivery or anything of that sort you'll get refunded. It has to clearly say that, though.

I had this response directly from Paypal.

In most cases you just upload the tracking and once it shows delivered you'll get the refund.

Normally you get a prepaid label (last time I returned something they made me use Collect+ for the return and it was all tracked) and the return is fully tracked.
windym1 h, 37 m ago

Why did you use "recorded delivery" (which doesn't exist?). If you'd …Why did you use "recorded delivery" (which doesn't exist?). If you'd opened a case with eBay, they provide a tracked return label.

Ask for Recorded Delivery at the PO and you will get something they have now renamed and Trade marked as "Signed For®".
Richard_Richard9 h, 54 m ago

Add the tracking details of the returned item to the claim you have opened …Add the tracking details of the returned item to the claim you have opened and they will likely close it in your favour today. Not your fault the scamming seller didn't accept the return. Once they have lost the money they'll probably pick it up from the sorting office and relist it with the same description on ebay.

This
ccnp13 h, 44 m ago

Ask for Recorded Delivery at the PO and you will get something they have …Ask for Recorded Delivery at the PO and you will get something they have now renamed and Trade marked as "Signed For®".

Exactly. Recorded Delivery was replaced years ago. In essence all the Signed For is, is a proof of delivery signature (when they bother) and additional insurance of up to £50. SF is standard first or second class postage with the enhancement of the signature and additional compensation.

My point being, if the OP had opened a case and it sounds like they did, then if eBay had ruled it in their favour eBay will provide a prepaid label for the item to be returned via a tracked method (Royal Mail Tracked).
Seller should of described it better which it's why you have a grievance against the seller. However since you payed for signed for tracking and the seller has not received the bag that would mean it's still in transit or royal mail lost it. You have the tracking number. Now your grievance is with royal mail and compensation for the lost item should come from them. Why should the seller lose out on all moneys and have no returned item in hand for what might have been a genuine mistake. This is the whole reason people have stopped selling on eBay.

Royal mail lost it they should find it or pay up.
larrylightweight57 m ago

Seller should of described it better which it's why you have a grievance …Seller should of described it better which it's why you have a grievance against the seller. However since you payed for signed for tracking and the seller has not received the bag that would mean it's still in transit or royal mail lost it. You have the tracking number. Now your grievance is with royal mail and compensation for the lost item should come from them. Why should the seller lose out on all moneys and have no returned item in hand for what might have been a genuine mistake. This is the whole reason people have stopped selling on eBay. Royal mail lost it they should find it or pay up.

From what OP said it would appear that the seller has missed delivery and they haven't scheduled a redelivery or collected the item from their sorting office yet.

If the item had been lost in transit or got back to the seller damaged then what you say would be correct.

If the seller doesn't accept the delivery as they're either missing all attempts at delivery or not collecting, then OP can't be held responsible for that.
RM will try more than once and they hold the item for several days before returning to sender so the seller has no excuse.
sheripeterson9th Mar

Thanks, I've looked on Ebay but I can't find anything to escalate it, will …Thanks, I've looked on Ebay but I can't find anything to escalate it, will try PayPal.

You can't open a case with PayPal while a case with eBay is still open... It's one of the two.

I don't know if you have actually opened a return for item not as described as that's the correct procedure to follow and that way you would have been supplied with a prepaid label.
Edited by: "hearts22" 10th Mar
hearts2218 m ago

From what OP said it would appear that the seller has missed delivery and …From what OP said it would appear that the seller has missed delivery and they haven't scheduled a redelivery or collected the item from their sorting office yet.If the item had been lost in transit or got back to the seller damaged then what you say would be correct. If the seller doesn't accept the delivery as they're either missing all attempts at delivery or not collecting, then OP can't be held responsible for that. RM will try more than once and they hold the item for several days before returning to sender so the seller has no excuse.

Op says not sure if seller was in, Thats an opinion not fact seller should contact royal mail for facts first.
Original Poster
Thank you all... The seller has now signed for the item (it was sent "Signed For®")... I couldn't get to a printer, hence paying my own postage. Still ongoing with PPal but thank you all..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants