Groups

eBay help please?

Please can anyone tell me if you send a parcel via royal mail (first class) and it doesn't get to the buyer what are the chances of 1. Been compensated by royal mail for the cost of your item (£26) and 2. If they don't compensate how do you stand with eBay as in will they refund the buyer at my expense even though I have proof of postage etc? I am really furious about this as the buyer has opened a case against me even though I rang them when they emailed me to say that they hadn't received it and I sent a photo of the proof of postage.
    Sorry if this has any spelling mistakes etc but my iPhone always changes my words!
    Many thanks in advance for any advice etc

29 Comments

Original Poster

Even more to add to this iswhen I rangthebuyer they told me that they had 5 items that have go e missing from selling / buying due to their local sorting office at Gatwick.

To be honest proof of postage means nothing on ebay, if as a buyer i hadnt recieved something i would ask the seller to refund me and expect them to claim compensation from Royal Mail.

1. You might get a refund from RM, but they now ask for your proof of purchase of item you posted (it helps them get out of paying out a lot of times). As item is less than £41 you should get your money back.
    2. Forget about getting money back from eBay, they always side with buyer unless you have sent recorded delivery which is a bugbear of mine as half the time the postmen don't bother to get signatures

Hope that helps

Deano467

1. You might get a refund from RM, but they now ask for your proof of … 1. You might get a refund from RM, but they now ask for your proof of purchase of item you posted (it helps them get out of paying out a lot of times). As item is less than £41 you should get your money back.2. Forget about getting money back from eBay, they always side with buyer unless you have sent recorded delivery which is a bugbear of mine as half the time the postmen don't bother to get signaturesHope that helps

But surely you could give them any reciept to the the same value and say this is what i sent?

Original Poster

I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the buyer can't be held responsible if it's lost in the post? What peeves me is the buyer told me on the phone that 5 items have gone missing recently. That makes me think that he's pulling a fast one but even if he wasn't then why not ask for special delivery?

Clarty123

I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the … I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the buyer can't be held responsible if it's lost in the post? What peeves me is the buyer told me on the phone that 5 items have gone missing recently. That makes me think that he's pulling a fast one but even if he wasn't then why not ask for special delivery?

Why should the buyer be held responsible? If it's lost in transit why is that more their problem than yours?
    And the buyer cant get compensation from Royal mail, because they dont have proof of postage.
    Edited by: "Randa1" 31st Oct 2010

Original Poster

I probably do have the receipt somewhere for it as I always keep them just in case. I'll be searching the house tomorrow!

Yes I suppose you could! A mate told me that RM asked him for a receipt when he tried to claim for lost item but as he did not have it he lost out.

It used to be the sellers on eBay who were dishonest. Now it is more likely to be the buyers who make false claims for lost items. As a seller this has happened to me before, and it is so annoying

I'm a seller too but i take it as a risk that it might go missing. I wouldnt send anything over £20 without signing on the other end now.

To sum up.........what will happen is

1 - Royal Mail will give you a book of stamps as compensation
    2 - Paypal will refund the buyer.

Sadly that's how it works.

Original Poster

In future from now on I think I'll just stick to preloved to get shut of my stuff.
    Thank you all for your replies x

To be honest it's no different on here, when i havent recieved stuff i ask for a refund.

Be aware that not all buyers are honest & know how paypal works so dont just assume its royal mail.
    I sold a hat that was quite rare & the buyer said it hadnt turned up & put in a paypal claim, I looked them up on facebook & they were wearing it in one of the photos!
    Ive always had a cheque back from royal mail for low value things & always send recorded or special for high value things.
    I always send in the buyers messages & the paypal claim with the value & my reciept.

I sent a t-shirt last month to a buyer and the item went missing in the post. The buyer contacted me and made me aware that it hadn't arrived. First of all I ask if they can check with neighbours and their local sorting office to see if it has been dropped off there. If they say no, I say I'd be willing to refund but can only do this after 15 working days. 15 working days is the time frame that Royal Mail give for a package to be declared 'lost'.

The buyer was willing to wait to see if it had arrived, and it turned out it didn't arrive. I refunded the buyer and they got their money back. 2 days later the t-shirt arrived back with me from Royal Mail as RETURN TO SENDER as it was classed as undeliverable.

Annoying at the time, and a bit of a hassle but they got their money back, and I got the t-shirt back.

Lol'd at hat story.

Original Poster

You know, I used to put return to sender but failed to do so this time. I'll be doing that from now on and sending it recorded signed for if I do sell anything else. Thanks everyone, the hat story is ace! That was a good bit of detective work!

If the item does go missing you will have to print off the final bid page on ebay of the item, the pages from paypal showing his payment and your refund payment to them and send them along with proof of postage for a refund.

I had to do this a while back when i sold something on here and got a refund after printing the pages off.

i sold an iphone and got conned by the buyer saying not received.....

a word of warning re sending parcels on ebay

never ever ever use royal mail inc special delivery..... i had a massive argument with paypal over this. basically, providing tracking info showing the signature of the buyer and date/time of signature is not enough under paypal's t/c. theres a loop hole which paypal are now using to rob sellers and offer refunds to buyers- this being that royal mail track n trace do not provide building name/postcode as to where the parcel was delivered.

as a result i was left out of pocket to the tune of £400ish despite using special delivery.

i rarely use ebay/paypal now and when i do i use dhl to send the goods

so SELLERS BEWARE!!

Banned

sedd33

i sold an iphone and got conned by the buyer saying not received.....a … i sold an iphone and got conned by the buyer saying not received.....a word of warning re sending parcels on ebay never ever ever use royal mail inc special delivery..... i had a massive argument with paypal over this. basically, providing tracking info showing the signature of the buyer and date/time of signature is not enough under paypal's t/c. theres a loop hole which paypal are now using to rob sellers and offer refunds to buyers- this being that royal mail track n trace do not provide building name/postcode as to where the parcel was delivered.as a result i was left out of pocket to the tune of £400ish despite using special delivery.i rarely use ebay/paypal now and when i do i use dhl to send the goodsso SELLERS BEWARE!!

you are completely wrong!

RM do track recorded to the destination. Receipts even show house number and postcode on them!

Jumpingphil

E-bay is not usually a problem if you send recorded and get a signature … E-bay is not usually a problem if you send recorded and get a signature at the end.

I sent a recorded a little while ago and it got "lost" paypal favoured the buyer and refunded.
    you need a p58 from the post office, a copy of the ebay transaction and the proof of postage, photo copy them before you send them. With a good description of the item you may even get it back as any items with no return address or have been damaged or opened in transit will go to a main depot until senders send in the p58's to check.
    i always write in my listings now that proof of postage will be forwarded onto the buyer in case of loss so they can claim from royal mail. In doing so i have had far fewer "missing parcels"!
    its a pain that RM will only refund once for the cost of item, therefore you lose out as you do not hald the item too. The only way i can see round this is using special delivery with added consequential loss, but expensive and might give you less bidders on items dues to this.

csiman

you are completely wrong!RM do track recorded to the destination. … you are completely wrong!RM do track recorded to the destination. Receipts even show house number and postcode on them!

They will only track once when they are signed for for recorded, you cannot track their route and they make their way on their journey in the ordinary way 1st and 2nd do. Special delivery gets security bagged on its journey and can be tracked all along its route if needed

csiman

you are completely wrong!RM do track recorded to the destination. … you are completely wrong!RM do track recorded to the destination. Receipts even show house number and postcode on them!

NO! you sir are wrong......

paypal use rm's website to determine buyer claims

you will find rm only show date/time of signature .... paypal require postcode delivery confirmation

i'm only sharing my experience and dont want others to get robbed by paypal like idid

but go ahead and hope you dont regret not taking my advice

Banned

sedd33

NO! you sir are wrong......paypal use rm's website to determine buyer … NO! you sir are wrong......paypal use rm's website to determine buyer claimsyou will find rm only show date/time of signature .... paypal require postcode delivery confirmationi'm only sharing my experience and dont want others to get robbed by paypal like ididbut go ahead and hope you dont regret not taking my advice

LMAO - I think there would be a bit of a panic on if this was really true!

You just have to email paypal the receipt showing house number/postcode/tracking ref which they check on RM.

Banned

From paypal:-

Key Rules of Seller Protection

* Retain proof of delivery that can be tracked online, such as Royal Mail’s Recorded Delivery

Banned

Jumpingphil

I always thought it was up to the seller to ensure an item gets to its … I always thought it was up to the seller to ensure an item gets to its destination.Why should the buyer have to chase the post office for "lost" items?How many times do you want to be refunded, 5, 6 or 7 times.Plus, you want the item back as well.

LOL - I didnt get their point either

item sold and RM paid for it - problem sorted!

Clarty123

I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the … I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the buyer can't be held responsible if it's lost in the post?

If you bought something off Amazon or Play, and it never arrived, would you accept them saying it was lost in the post, or would you want a refund?

Banned

Clarty123

I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the … I do have proof of posting though which I sent them a copy of. Surely the buyer can't be held responsible if it's lost in the post? What peeves me is the buyer told me on the phone that 5 items have gone missing recently. That makes me think that he's pulling a fast one but even if he wasn't then why not ask for special delivery?

correct - its the sellers responsibilty hence paypal refunding

the end.

Jumpingphil

So, did you, or did you not, have a signature for the RARE hat?

This was quite a while back & it wasnt worth loads anyway. My point is dont just assume its royal mail & makesure you send in everything you have & royal mail should send you a cheque if you do have to make a claim.

csiman

LOL - I didnt get their point eitheritem sold and RM paid for it - … LOL - I didnt get their point eitheritem sold and RM paid for it - problem sorted!

sorry a bit confusing there, all came out wrong. In some cases RM will only refund the cost of an item and not the postage
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions