eBay help - that time again steve...

I've sold quite a few records on eBay, but have not offered any discount in postage as I need to recoup my packaging costs (which I have already paid out).

Now, a couple of people have bought quite a number, and are just constantly moaning re: postage costs.

I have explained to them that I am not a business, so cannot take a hit on packaging costs etc but have offered a small discount.

Where do I stand on this?

In my mind, I think I'm in the right, as I have not mentioned any discounts at all and no questions were asked by the winning bidders with regards to postage up until they won.

What do you people think?

19 Comments

Its entirely upto you what you do. They have no say as they went by your terms by bidding. You could be generaous and offer them a discount, but like I said, its upto you. There's no right or wrong answer for this.

Pretty simple really, carry out a correct costing on the whole postage and packing and then charge that.
Nobody can criticise you for charging the actual cost can they ? They can only criticise you if you are making a real profit out of Postage and Packing and you're not doing that, are you ?

How do your P/P charges compare with other like sellers ?
If you are way above the average then you need to look at where you are sourcing your packing materias from.

If you use stiffeners and are paying for these you can make a cost saving by getting cardboard boxes from supermarkets etc and then cut them to size.

Finally carry a note in your auction terms and conditions to say that your Postage and Packing costs are non negotiable and worked out on the true cost to you.
That way when they grumble you can point them in the right direction.

Good luck with your sales etc.

This always gets me with ebay.

The seller charges a postage cost, be them reasonable or Dick Turpinesque and a buyer, sees these charges. They are not forced, bullied or made to buy, they choose to. If they don't like the charges, then buy from someone else

Complaining AFTERWARDS is lame. They should/could ask for a discount beforehand but afterwards, no, no way.

Ebay is full of folks who cannot be bothered to read listings fully and complain afterwards.

List the costs, clearly even do a "me" page and let them see for themselves.

Good luck and stand firm :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I have offered postage of £3 per vinyl.

Fair enough, this is not bad, but as an example, there are say 10 records purchased, that's £30.

As I've shelled out £30 for vinyl mailers already and I do not know the cost of 10 records via Royal Mail, I offered £20 for a courier service (this covers handling, packaging I have already paid for and the courier).

Personally, I do not think that is a bad offer.

I have offered to not continue the sale if they wish and relist them, so I will just see what happens from there.

Well I agree with the postage thing, cept I recently bought an amp which cost £30 to post, then I found they used PayPerDrop which cost them £6, plus a old tatty bin bag and an old box.

Surely the LPs (if you've got 5 or more) could go in a squarish box?, Then it'll only costs £10 or so?

12 " Pizza boxes are good
Wipe off the excess cheese before packing though

[SIZE=2]I've bought a few records of ebay of late. They have asked for postage from £1 to £3. I am a bit cheeky and do ask if they would give discount for "bulk" buying. I only have bought a few, say no more than 5 items from them, so it's not too many, so I feel if I ask and I don't get, at least I have asked etc. I am more than prepared to pay what they have said in the listing! I am with what a few HUKD Members have said, I know what the postage costs are, like I said, I am happy enough to pay them, so it is down to them. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I tend to ask for items to be sent Recorded Delivery if they aren't. I'm prepared to pay more for this, as I feel it gives us both more security in the transaction.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As a seller, I am more than happy to give discount on postage. It would be more logical to me, but I understand (yet I don't feel the buyers don't) is that it's not just the postage costs that you and they have to pay. It's your time, materials and method of getting to the post office. With so many closing, it isn't easy. I'm quite lucky as I have one just down the road from me, and one not too far away from where I work, but I still have to leave work in enough time to make sure I make the last post.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If they were to leave negative feedback because of the postage costs and/or not giving discount, then that would annoy me. I feel I couldn't leave them it back if they had paid quickly and did everything well etc, but it would kill me to not have my 100% Positive Feedback.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Offer it if you want to and can. It is a catch 22 situtation though. You do it once, and they may buy more off you, but then they will begin to think they'll get it all the time. Granted you would then get more sales if this was to happen, but it could start a vicious circle.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Good luck in whatever you choose to do![/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]And as for Pizza Boxes............don't wipe off the excess cheese and bin it, you could always use it as extra glue! [/SIZE]

Iom-RF

Surely the LPs (if you've got 5 or more) could go in a squarish box?, … Surely the LPs (if you've got 5 or more) could go in a squarish box?, Then it'll only costs £10 or so?

Or use Payperdrop for £6

Used them loads of times with no problem, and obviously every seller had bad feedback, from problem buyers impatient buyers etc.

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets

£30 for 10 lp's is a bit high. at a guess it'll cost maybe £15 - £18 tops

Hence the offer of £20 couriered...

I see what you all are saying, but I'll just have to see how it pans out.

The postage costs are there to cover how they would have been posted individually. If they'd have asked before buying, I might have been more giving in the situation, but to kick off after agreeing to the terms and bidding, I can't just lose out for packaging I have already shelled out for.

Cheers people.

boydent999

This always gets me with ebay.The seller charges a postage cost, be them … This always gets me with ebay.The seller charges a postage cost, be them reasonable or Dick Turpinesque and a buyer, sees these charges. They are not forced, bullied or made to buy, they choose to. If they don't like the charges, then buy from someone else :pComplaining AFTERWARDS is lame. They should/could ask for a discount beforehand but afterwards, no, no way. Ebay is full of folks who cannot be bothered to read listings fully and complain afterwards.List the costs, clearly even do a "me" page and let them see for themselves.Good luck and stand firm :thumbsup:

totally agree reading the terms of a listing is like reading a contract you cant read it then agree then want to change things

you can blantenly see the cost + p&p but they still moan stick to your guns and dont let them off i sure as hell dont:giggle:

Within reason though, I dont bid on items I know have extortionate postage costs, now fair ones are fine, but if someone charges £5 to post a dvd then I dont bother as I can get dvd cheaper elsewhere.

Now being charged a £24 mark up for the seller filling in a form and spending 5 minutes (maybe less) putting a amp in a box and putting a bin bag around it isnt worth £24 I didnt complain to the guy as I knew that would be silly but it pisses me off majorly people like to mark up so much, I assumed it would be sent parcelforce 24 or something

if they dont want things to get fooked when they get the item then they sould not have ago about postage it dose me head in ebay!

Speaking of I am pissed off with a buyer on Ebay, I sold my old bulky DS last Friday, sent Monday buyer gets back to me Wednesday demanding to know where DS is as its for present, I reply back and say I will check tracking details but couldnt confirm until later, it showed nothing so I gave her tracking details and she shopped me to Paypal claiming she never got a "satisfactory response" and a false tracking number, so now even though it HAS been delivered buyer wont close dispute and PP are looking into it, great system,

vinylandtrinkets

the other thing to remember is that if you have 100% feedback do you … the other thing to remember is that if you have 100% feedback do you really want to spoil it by not giving the discount

Please don't fall for this one, if a buyer left you negative feedback because you wouldn't offer a discount on a price THEY agreed to pay they'd be 100% in the wrong & eBay would probably remove it. If it were me I'd take the negative any day over being threatened into doing something

ryouga

Within reason though, I dont bid on items I know have extortionate … Within reason though, I dont bid on items I know have extortionate postage costs, now fair ones are fine, but if someone charges £5 to post a dvd then I dont bother as I can get dvd cheaper elsewhere.Now being charged a £24 mark up for the seller filling in a form and spending 5 minutes (maybe less) putting a amp in a box and putting a bin bag around it isnt worth £24 I didnt complain to the guy as I knew that would be silly but it pisses me off majorly people like to mark up so much, I assumed it would be sent parcelforce 24 or something

Not being funny but you've mentioned this twice now in this thread. It was £30 postage. You seemed happy with that. Surely in the listing, it said how it would be sent and if it didn't, guess what, you could have asked them!

You said you assumed how it would be sent. When you buy online from a "reputable source" you are often given the choice, next day, 1st class etc etc, if it wasn't clear and you assumed, then i am sorry it was your fault for not asking.

My advice would be learn from this, move on and ask more questions. Don't be afraid to ask, a decent seller won't mind. To be fair, a decent seller would list their items carefully and make sure any potential buyer knows how much costs, quality of item, condition and yes, how it will be sent.

It's been a bit since i sold on ebay, but i do remember you can give buyer's option on delivery method and if this wasn't the case and you were not happy, then don't buy.

Move on

Not that I have to explain why I think things, but I only mentioned it again as noone responded to my original post, stop being ----------- and uptight and looking for an excuse to complain.

When I say I assmued I assumed they would use a courier direct to pay for delivery hence it being far higher, and did I email seller and complain after, NO as I was happy with the price when I bid

Dont ASSUME as it makes an ass out of u and me

ryouga

Not that I have to explain why I think things, but I only mentioned it … Not that I have to explain why I think things, but I only mentioned it again as noone responded to my original post, stop being ----------- and uptight and looking for an excuse to complain.When I say I assmued I assumed they would use a courier direct to pay for delivery hence it being far higher, and did I email seller and complain after, NO as I was happy with the price when I bidDont ASSUME as it makes an ass out of u and me

Edited your reply...

Please respect other members and forget about the name calling. Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213632
    2. First 2 lucky people.77
    3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1223
    4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831532

See more discussions