Ebay how to sell a laptop and not get scammed + help

Posted 25th Apr
Hey there guys I would love some help and advice in regards to selling my laptop and not getting scammed. I have had some incredibly scam like messages which I will also provide. Question who should I sell it too and how can they physically scam me if I used a expensive premium delivery with full tracking. 3449605-djmj9.jpg3449605-4YAIE.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Honestly, just don’t do it.
I’m not too sure why people still use eBay cause of the seller disputes anything, you’ve lost money PLUS your item.

I would honestly recommend selling it locally.

Only thing I can suggest is videos of it working showing the serial number on the video too, tracked delivery (which you have mentioned) and that’s really it?
36 Comments
Honestly, just don’t do it.
I’m not too sure why people still use eBay cause of the seller disputes anything, you’ve lost money PLUS your item.

I would honestly recommend selling it locally.

Only thing I can suggest is videos of it working showing the serial number on the video too, tracked delivery (which you have mentioned) and that’s really it?
darkfrost125/04/2020 16:59

Honestly, just don’t do it. I’m not too sure why people still use eBay cau …Honestly, just don’t do it. I’m not too sure why people still use eBay cause of the seller disputes anything, you’ve lost money PLUS your item. I would honestly recommend selling it locally.Only thing I can suggest is videos of it working showing the serial number on the video too, tracked delivery (which you have mentioned) and that’s really it?

Yeah I got a video and such. It's very difficult type of item to sell locally but thank you for your comment.
No. This person is trying to take you outside if eBay. Say just buy it now or bid.
Unless you are desperate for the money wait till till you can list it on gumtree or Facebook market place and sell it to someone who can come and see it working and pay cash. I don’t sell anything on eBay anymore too many scammers and too high fees.
See what’s it worth on cex and music macpie etc online. Gumtree is full of scammers too, exactly same messages
Gumtree or Facebook market place, cash on collection. If you sell it on ebay and are paid with PayPal your buyer can return it for a refund for upto six months post sale - they can make something up and you'll have to refund in full.

Avoid ebay at all costs when it comes to selling something like this.
If you take cash on local deal, be sure to take time counting money and checking for fake notes. Agree on price before meeting so no awkward conversations about discounts lol.
Not worth the risk , do cash collection.

Shpok , gumtree , Facebook
They will not buy it legit, they want to scam you. They cannot even just type PayPal like it’s supposed to be
Misslovely25/04/2020 17:11

See what’s it worth on cex and music macpie etc online. Gumtree is full of …See what’s it worth on cex and music macpie etc online. Gumtree is full of scammers too, exactly same messages

I only get rid of stuff via CEX now even if I get.less for it. Hassle free
Yeah this is definitely a scam
Does it not strike you as odd that they are both buying it for someone else? And want you too give them PayPal details rather Than click 'buy it now', and have already sourced delivery? And one says 'the item', the other days 'it'. Generic messages that can be used for any large item.
You should have a headache with the alarm bells going off.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 25th Apr
Gollywood25/04/2020 17:29

I only get rid of stuff via CEX now even if I get.less for it. Hassle free

I get vouchers
Put the username of the african scammer so we can all message them
deleted2412750
Close up photos of serials. Tamper proof warranty stickers over easily removed covers so can't swap components. And hope for the best.
deleted241275025/04/2020 17:48

Close up photos of serials. Tamper proof warranty stickers over easily …Close up photos of serials. Tamper proof warranty stickers over easily removed covers so can't swap components. And hope for the best.

And we'll see you here again in about a month, joining the rest of the "Help, I've been scammed on Ebay" club. So many of them,HUKD, should have a special topic button for them.
deleted2412750
Ringfinger25/04/2020 17:59

And we'll see you here again in about a month, joining the rest of the …And we'll see you here again in about a month, joining the rest of the "Help, I've been scammed on Ebay" club. So many of them,HUKD, should have a special topic button for them.

Purely anecdotally of course but tamper proof stickers are surprisingly effective. I had zero scam attempts since using them.
The ideal is a local selling site but a) not an option really at the moment and b) you get constant low ball trader offers.
buy a note checker from Amazon for about £12 if accepting cash.

Only sell things like cheap converse trainers and Lego on Amazon now. Not selling anything electrical because of scams.
Edited by: "Speculator" 25th Apr
Do people still fall for these ?
Ringfinger25/04/2020 17:32

Does it not strike you as odd that they are both buying it for someone …Does it not strike you as odd that they are both buying it for someone else? And want you too give them PayPal details rather Than click 'buy it now', and have already sourced delivery? And one says 'the item', the other days 'it'. Generic messages that can be used for any large item.You should have a headache with the alarm bells going off.

Lol ofc i'm not even considering these offers. Just wanted to know how they actually scam and any tips for selling it. Ty
Willy_Wonka25/04/2020 17:35

Put the username of the african scammer so we can all message them

I think a mod removed the usernames.
So “buyer” has zero feedback offering a £100 more than your asking it’s clearly a scam. It really isn’t worth it even going through eBay they’ll open a return say it’s damage or not working send something else back and viola they have your item and a full refund. Easy money for scammers.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 25th Apr
DaedalusP25/04/2020 18:28

Lol ofc i'm not even considering these offers. Just wanted to know how …Lol ofc i'm not even considering these offers. Just wanted to know how they actually scam and any tips for selling it. Ty

They want you to send to another address, i.e. not their PayPal registered address. Open shut case for eBay or PayPal (if done off eBay), and not in your favour.
Ringfinger25/04/2020 17:32

Does it not strike you as odd that they are both buying it for someone …Does it not strike you as odd that they are both buying it for someone else? And want you too give them PayPal details rather Than click 'buy it now', and have already sourced delivery? And one says 'the item', the other days 'it'. Generic messages that can be used for any large item.You should have a headache with the alarm bells going off.

Agree - sadly common sense is not that common. No offence intended OP, but the usual "if it's too good to be true" should apply. Think about what they are asking? Why are they asking to complete the transaction outside of ebay? You will end up being scammed twice! Think about what would happen if you agreed to the terms? Lets say you have a moment of insanity and agree to post out the item. The buyer receives it and instantly revokes the PayPal payment & closes that account. You end up having to pay PayPal fees, ebay fees (as a no sale) and no longer have your laptop!
Speculator25/04/2020 18:11

buy a note checker from Amazon for about £12 if accepting cash.Only sell …buy a note checker from Amazon for about £12 if accepting cash.Only sell things like cheap converse trainers and Lego on Amazon now. Not selling anything electrical because of scams.

These scams work on any high ticket item - it's not just electrical goods!
deleted241275025/04/2020 17:48

Close up photos of serials. Tamper proof warranty stickers over easily …Close up photos of serials. Tamper proof warranty stickers over easily removed covers so can't swap components. And hope for the best.

All of that is meaningless when it comes to ebay, even worse on Amazon. They rarely take on board the sellers point of view. They usually refund 100%, then once the scammer clears the funds the scammer will close the account leaving the trial cold... Plenty of details on youtube - some dude sells expensive test equipment through Amazon, scammers buy his stuff then invoke the return. They keep the high priced item and return something of similar weight & dimensions (yes a brick!) The seller found out too late and posted a video about how he was being scammed.
Search on youtube for scams (amazon & ebay).
deleted2412750
aLV42625/04/2020 19:16

All of that is meaningless when it comes to ebay, even worse on Amazon. …All of that is meaningless when it comes to ebay, even worse on Amazon. They rarely take on board the sellers point of view. They usually refund 100%, then once the scammer clears the funds the scammer will close the account leaving the trial cold... Plenty of details on youtube - some dude sells expensive test equipment through Amazon, scammers buy his stuff then invoke the return. They keep the high priced item and return something of similar weight & dimensions (yes a brick!) The seller found out too late and posted a video about how he was being scammed.Search on youtube for scams (amazon & ebay).

Absolutely, if they're dedicated then they'll get away with it. My point is that just the thought of serials being recorded and tamper proof warranty stickers being used is enough to put off your common or garden scammer. The career criminal? Won't make a difference, just hope that you get lucky and since using those steps I was. As with anything though your results may vary.
Watched a video recently where the guy posted up asking for eBay to help as customer returned the item damaged after saying it was faulty iirc.

MrWalle25/04/2020 19:22

Watched a video recently where the guy posted up asking for eBay to help …Watched a video recently where the guy posted up asking for eBay to help as customer returned the item damaged after saying it was faulty iirc. [Video]

I saw those as well (they got FBA via Amazon). It eats up way too much time to make it a viable home business ( 4 hours on 1 phone call - seriously?)
The most recent headache I experienced was buying about £30 "items" from ebay, paid in full and the seller refused to post them because they had to pay more to post to Northern Ireland (even though I had paid in full including postage - it was a UK seller). He opened a non-payment case and ebay actually ruled in his favour! I didn't get the items or a refund. Thats why I get so annoyed on deals posted on here with "free" UK postage only to discover there is a surcharge for Northern Ireland.
It opened my eyes as to how easy it is to lose money!
It killed my account (I opened it back in 1995!) as it was suspended and I could not buy or sell.
I ended up opening a new account, which made me realise how easy it is to scam people!
MrWalle25/04/2020 19:22

Watched a video recently where the guy posted up asking for eBay to help …Watched a video recently where the guy posted up asking for eBay to help as customer returned the item damaged after saying it was faulty iirc. [Video]

Issue with that specific case is the seller and / or buyer may be the victim of unexpected loss, but not necessarily be a victim of an intentional scam.
AndyRoyd25/04/2020 20:08

Issue with that specific case is the seller and / or buyer may be the …Issue with that specific case is the seller and / or buyer may be the victim of unexpected loss, but not necessarily be a victim of an intentional scam.

Was more to highlight that eBay backs the buyer. There is plenty of eBay scam videos on YouTube.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 25th Apr
I sell thousands on eBay and never have an issue? Not sure why so many people do. Always use a decent courier such as Royal Mail and you won’t have a problem. Record serial numbers where possibly but honestly I’ve sold about 50 MacBooks and not had one case opened
Ebay and PayPal fees are disgusting. It’s a shame ebay is the main marketplace, Ebid is another lower fee based marketplace. If only everyone jumped on that...
goldie85025/04/2020 20:46

I sell thousands on eBay and never have an issue? Not sure why so many …I sell thousands on eBay and never have an issue? Not sure why so many people do. Always use a decent courier such as Royal Mail and you won’t have a problem. Record serial numbers where possibly but honestly I’ve sold about 50 MacBooks and not had one case opened

Recording serial numbers etc is pointless, if you sent me an item and i send you my old broken identical item back ebay won't care about serial numbers. you don't have proof thats what you sent and ebay don't listen anyway they just refund the buyer regardless
Mark_Hickman26/04/2020 09:32

Recording serial numbers etc is pointless, if you sent me an item and i …Recording serial numbers etc is pointless, if you sent me an item and i send you my old broken identical item back ebay won't care about serial numbers. you don't have proof thats what you sent and ebay don't listen anyway they just refund the buyer regardless

Guess I’ve been quite lucky then and not had any buyers try it on so far!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions