eBay Import Charges

Found 29th Jan
Hi all,

I'm looking at something on eBay, it is quite pricey, over £200 and in the US. On the item listing in the postage area there is an "import charge" of something like £60. Does this cover me from UK customs? is that what the import charge is for?

kind Regards
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
I got charged by uk customs and a £8 handling fee by the Post Office, so a double whammy. This is the second time this has happened in the last few weeks. Why the Post Office charge so much is ridiculous and you can't get your parcel delivered until you pay them their fee and the customs fee
Just ask the seller to say its a gift and put a lower price of what the item is really worth. Hope this helps
summerof7649 m ago

Just ask the seller to say its a gift and put a lower price of what the …Just ask the seller to say its a gift and put a lower price of what the item is really worth. Hope this helps

That’s doesn’t always work as customs use set prices now based on the declared items. So for example if you put a dvd as £1 and gift, they will apply customs duty at £15.
summerof761 h, 19 m ago

I got charged by uk customs and a £8 handling fee by the Post Office, so a …I got charged by uk customs and a £8 handling fee by the Post Office, so a double whammy. This is the second time this has happened in the last few weeks. Why the Post Office charge so much is ridiculous and you can't get your parcel delivered until you pay them their fee and the customs fee

£8 is cheap really for what they have to do.
Original Poster
summerof762 h, 24 m ago

Just ask the seller to say its a gift and put a lower price of what the …Just ask the seller to say its a gift and put a lower price of what the item is really worth. Hope this helps

I don't mind paying the import charge, I would mind if I paid the import charge and then still get hit by customs.
I also got charged a handling fee by Royal Mail and don't forget the VAT
Original Poster
AlecLeamas1 h, 6 m ago

I also got charged a handling fee by Royal Mail and don't forget the VAT

Was this through eBay's Global Shipping Program? I should have mentioned that part, my bad.
Robot_Rooster7 m ago

Was this through eBay's Global Shipping Program? I should have mentioned …Was this through eBay's Global Shipping Program? I should have mentioned that part, my bad.

You won't pay anything else. They wil import it and then forward it to you from the UK.
Original Poster
hearts224 m ago

You won't pay anything else. They wil import it and then forward it to you …You won't pay anything else. They wil import it and then forward it to you from the UK.

Thank you very much!
The company eBay uses will be the one importing the item (that's why you pay them an import charge in advance. They will get the charge directly, not you) and then will ship it to you from a UK shipping address.
summerof766 h, 32 m ago

Tax evasion never helps.
summerof766 h, 35 m ago

I got charged by uk customs and a £8 handling fee by the Post Office, so a …I got charged by uk customs and a £8 handling fee by the Post Office, so a double whammy. This is the second time this has happened in the last few weeks. Why the Post Office charge so much is ridiculous and you can't get your parcel delivered until you pay them their fee and the customs fee

£8 is just about the lowest charge for putting a parcel through customs, most other couriers are higher. I agree it should be an up front charge though, it's not as if the delivery company doesn't know where it's going when they pick it up.

Customs duty depends on the item but it's usually just a couple of percent. The £60 would be about right for import VAT, customs duty and the work putting the items through customs.
Robot_Rooster3 h, 2 m ago

Was this through eBay's Global Shipping Program? I should have mentioned …Was this through eBay's Global Shipping Program? I should have mentioned that part, my bad.

No, not bought through ebay
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants