Found 8th Dec 2016
I have recently sold a go pro camera on eBay. I have a feedback rating of just under 1000. Previous sales of the his camera range from £125-£140. Mine has sold for £200. The buyer wants to pay via bank transfer and not paypal. He has given me a UK bank account details and a UK mobile number. He has a rating of 19 but nought bought or sold anything for a very long time.

Am I being coned someway shape or form? Am I going to get bitten somehow??

Thanks in advance.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

i wouldn't risk it. Paypal (not friends and fam) or no sale is how I would go about it.

Banned

If it's on ebay, then the answer is probably yes.

Dodgy! Never do bank transfer you have no protection

nor does the buyer, less if you do it righttell him if he was to pay via … nor does the buyer, less if you do it righttell him if he was to pay via BT, than he will have to agree to your request to cancel the sale via ebay (you can request the fees be refunded) and he can arrange the sale with you out side of ebayif not then just demand that its all done thu ebay and paypal, or just cancel the sail and relist should be common sense but either way make sure you have the money before posting, (and not just as pending funds)

no...​you can not cancel sail....but yes to sale....

tell him to send postal order if he doesnt have paypal

nor does the buyer, less if you do it righttell him if he was to pay via … nor does the buyer, less if you do it righttell him if he was to pay via BT, than he will have to agree to your request to cancel the sale via ebay (you can request the fees be refunded) and he can arrange the sale with you out side of ebayif not then just demand that its all done thu ebay and paypal, or just cancel the sail and relist should be common sense but either way make sure you have the money before posting, (and not just as pending funds)

​no, you can not cancel sail in ebay...but can cancel sale...

pookynuts

Dodgy! Never do bank transfer you have no protection

To do a bank transfer the buyer will have to verify himself whether its on the phone or internet. If he transfers the funds how will the buyer get his money back if he verified himself?

if you SOLD it on ebay, then a bank transfer should be fine, as long as you do NOT have to pay money by bank transfer. Never post out until cash in your hand. Overall, I would never use bank transfer myself
Edited by: "shanetome" 8th Dec 2016

Why would you need their bank account details? They would only need yours to pay the money in?

If you give out your details (which are on all your cheques) I don't believe they can take any money out but they could use those details along with your name/address on Ebay to set up Direct Debits that do not need a signature e.g. Jeremy Clarkson spoof.

I'd still be suspicious though until proven otherwise.

shanetome

if you SOLD it on ebay, then a bank transfer should be fine, as long as … if you SOLD it on ebay, then a bank transfer should be fine, as long as you do NOT have to pay money by bank transfer

Except you are giving your bank account number and sort code to an unknown....

There must have been other bidders for it to go so high so if you are not comfortable dealing with him (and he does want to trade outside the ebay rules after all) then you can make a second chance offer to the next bidder and still sell for a good price

When I sell on ebay I always sell using the option 'paypal payment' only - if you have done this I would only accept paypal.
Unfortunately ebay/paypal always seem to favour the buyers rights more than the seller - IME.

If you have not listed Bank Transfer under your payment terms then DO NOT accept it, it may be liable to a charge back at a later date. Only accept Paypal for an account that has not been trading elsewhere on Ebay - it stinks and people's old accounts do get hijacked. Report it to Ebay customer services and say your not happy with him changing your payment method.

He should of messaged you before bidding and asked if you would accept bank transfer. He has no buyer protection if he pays outside of eBay. The only payments I would accept myself are PayPal or cash on collection. Could do a chargeback in the future. I have 2 eBay accounts, one has 649 feedback and the other has 12. I haven't used the one with 12 for 2 years and it got hacked and someone was trying to sell cars on it but eBay contacted me. The buyer could possibly of hacked someone else's account.

Have him send you a cheque, but don't send the item until cheque has fully cleared - about 3 days.
Edited by: "wood33pecker" 8th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I have stated that the item needs to be paid for by paypal or I cancel the auction. Agreed that he should have told me before bidding that he did not want to use paypal.

wood33pecker

Have him send you a cheque, but don't send the item until cheque has … Have him send you a cheque, but don't send the item until cheque has fully cleared - about 3 days.

cheques can be charged back ages after if it turns out they were stolen.

DevilsReaper

To do a bank transfer the buyer will have to verify himself whether its … To do a bank transfer the buyer will have to verify himself whether its on the phone or internet. If he transfers the funds how will the buyer get his money back if he verified himself?

​chargeback?

Banned

savgeax

Thank you everyone. I have stated that the item needs to be paid for by … Thank you everyone. I have stated that the item needs to be paid for by paypal or I cancel the auction. Agreed that he should have told me before bidding that he did not want to use paypal.

That's the best thing to do in this case. He'd try to con you.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions