eBay issue

Posted 21st Dec 2019
So I bought a Christmas present for my daughter on eBay (a drysuit for diving). I know all about them and it’s a great make and model. It was described as in excellent condition and recently serviced.

I paid via PayPal and because the seller is new, they’ve held onto the funds rather than passing to her. The suit has arrived and she is repeatedly asking me to confirm delivery and leave feedback so they release the money to her. I am happy to confirm delivery but there is nowhere on PayPal or eBay for me to do this (and I’ve told her that).

However the neck and wrist seals on the drysuit are not in great condition and need replacing pretty soon. This will cost me around £100. I raised this with her - she says that the suit was bubble tested for leaks at service and the seals were ok - it sounds like it was by some local firm rather than the original drysuit manufacturer (who is known for their exceptional service standards). I feel that it wasn’t as described in the auction but to be fair, it may well not leak and still be ok to dive for a while. For that reason I don’t want to leave feedback until we’ve had a chance to dive with it after Christmas to see how bad it is.

She’s asking me to leave feedback as she says that will impact whether PayPal pay her or not.

To put it into perspective - the suit cost £225, the seals/service will cost me £100-£120 to do and it’s probably worth £300+ with perfect seals (these things are like vehicles - you pay annually just to “run” them).

Is there anything I can do to not delay PayPal paying but still leave me the redress with eBay feedback and PayPal 90 days claim if there is a real problem? I don’t want to return the suit altogether because it was a good find.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I’ve decided I’m going to keep it but I will leave neutral feedback.

It was not fairly described - the lady that sold it is a diver and she knows the seals are in a ropey condition. We exchanged 3-4 emails about the size and condition and service before I bought it and she never said anything until after she had sent it to me - then she mentioned that the neck seal probably needs doing.

A fair description would have been “excellent condition apart from neck and wrist seals will need replacing soon. However at a recent service it passed the bubble test so no immediate leaks”.

Thanks to the comments from most people. As for those who have left rude remarks saying I’m just after more money - I bought something described as “in excellent condition” for £225. I didn’t get that. Doesn’t make me a chancer - I would have offered less money in the condition it’s in.
23 Comments
Leave neutral feedback. If item is not fit for purpose within 180 days file a claim. Regardless as the seller is new by the time you have used the wet suit the funds probably wont even have been released
I don't think leaving feedback makes any difference to when they pass on the funds, unless it's been recently changed. I had a new seller ask me to do the same, which I had actually already done before they asked, they just had to wait some time for paypal to release the funds.
There is not button.
When you leave feedback it releases the funds.
If your not happy return item.
Go to item in ebay select big blue button , Return item and then select not as described.
Take pictures to upload at the same time.

Claim back postage via paypal. Take a picture of item wrapped up and return address on package as its needed to claim.
paypal.com/uk/…rns
If you are happy overall, bar what you've mentioned just leave feedback along the lines of received, obviously not used yet. Don't leave a neutral or negative given that, as long as the seller is being truthful, they have had the item serviced. You can, if needs be, open a Paypal dispute later.
If you're a new seller who hasn't established a selling record yet, we might put payments from your buyers on hold. Generally, the funds will be available either:

• 21 days after the buyer pays, or
  • 3 days after the estimated delivery date (if no was tracking provided but the item was marked as dispatched), or
  • 1 day after confirmed delivery
  • If no tracking is used, we'll check for positive feedback after 3 days (to allow sufficient time for the item to be delivered). If positive feedback has been received, you'll receive the funds within 24 hours. Note: This check is only carried out if no tracking is uploaded. Best practice is to upload tracking so you can receive the funds 1 day after confirmed delivery

Best thing for her to do is add the tracking number to the item.
The seller is correct in saying that positive feedback will allow the funds to be released but tracked postage also allows them to be released. Just keep it and if you're not happy with it yet just dont reply to the seller as you're not obliged to although it may be frustrating for them
Leaving feedback won't make a difference to funds being released.

Edit: it seems it does make a difference now. If you leave feedback funds get released in 48 hours positive FB.
Edited by: "MR1123" 21st Dec 2019
Whenever I buy anything from anybody for any price in whatever condition either in person or via the web I expect to be 100% satisfied. Sometimes it is me who makes the mistakes and my expectation levels were too high.

If you are not 100% satisfied and none of it is down to you then return the item and seek the refund.
Any chance you could negotiate a small reduction?
If it was described as excellent condition then it should be perfect. That is what i would expect, return it as not as described.
Azwipe21/12/2019 09:41

If it was described as excellent condition then it should be perfect. That …If it was described as excellent condition then it should be perfect. That is what i would expect, return it as not as described.

She won't return it because she got it for a good price .

They don't want to return it . They just want more money off .
Edited by: "Fairys_Burn_Things" 21st Dec 2019
It sounds like its from a private seller and the item was described 'fairly' accurately.
I dont think its fair to dive with it first, or leave neutral feedback, or open a claim up to 90 days later on a used item.
Now you have it, I would make a decision now to either to keep it (also have the option to resell in the future), or return for a refund.
If you aren't happy with the suit and have realised that it would need a fairly costly service then just request to return the item for a refund. That's probably the fairest thing to do in this scenario.
I think your not entirely happy with the purchase so best thing to do is return it.

This poor new seller is probably stressed about the situation as they have got the item to you and simply want the money they are owed, it’s close to Christmas as lots of people want extra cash. As they are they probably haven’t intended to deceive you just don’t know any better than the description.

I can’t really blame them for pushing for feedback.

However you have a right to return as you believe it’s not a describe so return it to them to them so they can re sell it. Don’t hold on it. Send it back ASAP.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 21st Dec 2019
Give it back, no issue and peace of mind.
Sandy101221/12/2019 09:55

It sounds like its from a private seller and the item was described …It sounds like its from a private seller and the item was described 'fairly' accurately.I dont think its fair to dive with it first, or leave neutral feedback, or open a claim up to 90 days later on a used item. Now you have it, I would make a decision now to either to keep it (also have the option to resell in the future), or return for a refund.

I would expect an item described as 'Excellent condition' to be as new. It's vital when selling on ebay that you describe condition accurately. According to what the op is saying that doesn't appear to be the case.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 21st Dec 2019
Fairys_Burn_Things21/12/2019 09:45

Comment deleted

Completely uncalled for and rude.

The suit is not fine and there’s no way of telling how and until you get 10m underwater. If they lied about the seals, then the inflate valve or dump valve might not work either. Or the seams might leak. When a seller says a drysuit has been serviced, and you get it in a condition that brings that into question...who knows what else is wrong.

Sigh. Wish you’d read things properly. I said it was worth £300 plus if the seals and everything is in full working order - so yeah it would have been a bargain in “excellent condition”. But it’s not in that condition and I’m going to have to spend upwards of £100 to get it into a condition where it can be dived. If other things are wrong then £200+.
I’ve decided I’m going to keep it but I will leave neutral feedback.

It was not fairly described - the lady that sold it is a diver and she knows the seals are in a ropey condition. We exchanged 3-4 emails about the size and condition and service before I bought it and she never said anything until after she had sent it to me - then she mentioned that the neck seal probably needs doing.

A fair description would have been “excellent condition apart from neck and wrist seals will need replacing soon. However at a recent service it passed the bubble test so no immediate leaks”.

Thanks to the comments from most people. As for those who have left rude remarks saying I’m just after more money - I bought something described as “in excellent condition” for £225. I didn’t get that. Doesn’t make me a chancer - I would have offered less money in the condition it’s in.
I just hope you never buy from me lol
Either keep and positive feedback or return.
Don't start using it then having a think for 3 months etc. Who does that!? it's a used item.
bluep21/12/2019 11:47

I’ve decided I’m going to keep it but I will leave neutral feedback. It wa …I’ve decided I’m going to keep it but I will leave neutral feedback. It was not fairly described - the lady that sold it is a diver and she knows the seals are in a ropey condition. We exchanged 3-4 emails about the size and condition and service before I bought it and she never said anything until after she had sent it to me - then she mentioned that the neck seal probably needs doing.A fair description would have been “excellent condition apart from neck and wrist seals will need replacing soon. However at a recent service it passed the bubble test so no immediate leaks”. Thanks to the comments from most people. As for those who have left rude remarks saying I’m just after more money - I bought something described as “in excellent condition” for £225. I didn’t get that. Doesn’t make me a chancer - I would have offered less money in the condition it’s in.

This sounds like it could end up costly. You won’t even have to pay return postage if it’s not as described.

Honestly you aren’t happy with a number of issues and sounds expensive to fix just send it back.
I've used eBay alot and have returned items. I understand you and the seller exchanged messages however everybody has a varying opinion when it comes to conditions. My advice would be to return it in this situation as you clearly aren't happy with the item you've received. eBay makes this a very easy and straight forwards process and it won't cost you a penny bar dropping it off at your local post office/drop off point. The seller seems to be genuine although I don't know the content of the messages so leaving neutral is harsh but that's my opinion.
AMaky21/12/2019 13:48

I just hope you never buy from me lolEither keep and positive feedback or …I just hope you never buy from me lolEither keep and positive feedback or return.Don't start using it then having a think for 3 months etc. Who does that!? it's a used item.

It’s not a cosmetic issue - it’s like if you bought a camera and it looked more bashed up than they described and then you charge the battery up and use it to check if it all works properly or not before you leave feedback or return.

I’m not talking about using it all the time for 3 months lol I’m talking about dunking it in water for a few meters to see if it holds water under pressure like it’s meant to.

Problem with sending it back is that it’s difficult to find second hand drysuits that are the right measurements. I can’t just buy another one from someone else next week.
bluep21/12/2019 14:21

It’s not a cosmetic issue - it’s like if you bought a camera and it looked …It’s not a cosmetic issue - it’s like if you bought a camera and it looked more bashed up than they described and then you charge the battery up and use it to check if it all works properly or not before you leave feedback or return. I’m not talking about using it all the time for 3 months lol I’m talking about dunking it in water for a few meters to see if it holds water under pressure like it’s meant to.Problem with sending it back is that it’s difficult to find second hand drysuits that are the right measurements. I can’t just buy another one from someone else next week.

Can't you go for a jump in a lake somewhere is a bit cold but . Heyho.
MynameisM21/12/2019 19:52

Can't you go for a jump in a lake somewhere is a bit cold but . Heyho.

Yep that’s the plan after Christmas Day! Not cold for UK drysuit diving hehe!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions