ebay item not as described

Found 26th Apr
I bought a freesat box from a private seller through ebay which was described as being in excellent condition.

On arrival, I notice it has paint on it, one of the rubber feet missing and a few scratches and dings. Certainly not excellent condition, not even average condition really.

Because it was described as excellent, I paid more than I would have, had I known the true condition. I've tested it and it works ok.

I know I can return it via paypal for a whole refund, but do I have any other options. I don't mind keeping it, if it were priced accordingly. If so, how do I go about it?

If I need to return it, how do I ensure that the seller arranges pick up or provides a pre-paid tracked kabel, so that any courier problems become his to sort out.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I bought a laptop 3 months back on ebay and though the laptop itself was in perfect working order it had a dent in the corner where it wasn't described and wasn't in the picture (though the seller sells multiple of the same until so I assume the picture hadn't updated).

They were pretty good and offered an exchange, refund or IF I kept it, a discount (got £50 back). It did have 6 months warranty so any further signs of issues I will be on to them.

SO For you, contacted them and explain. If they are a pain, go to ebay and start a complained as they will freeze the sellers fees etc. and take it from there.
On the feedback page select more actions, then contact the seller, then I received an item that wasn’t as described and upload photos of the condition.
State you want to keep the item rather than return and refund and the seller should offer a partial refund.
if the seller agrees to a return and full refund then eBay should send you a returns label via email. I don’t think the seller will honour return postage chargesbut I think you can get free return postage via PayPal.
If the seller doesn’t respond or dismisses your claim then just open up a dispute and eBay will resolve it for you
As said above, but just to clarify, under UK law if something isn't as described then its the seller's responsibility to pay for (*and organise) its return to them. In my experience all of the usual selling sites recognise this & either do it for, or expect sellers to do this when told to -if they don't then the site will refund you original cost inc P&P & reclaim it from the seller.

* ie. a seller couldn't refuse a refund because you live in a remote area & can't take a return to the post office ~30 miles away.
What uk law covers a private sale?
You can message the seller and ask for a partial refund. They might or might not agree to this.

If you can't agree on this then you can open a return request on eBay selecting the appropriate reason and eBay will generate a prepaid label. Seller will pay for the return when an item isn't as described.

PayPal is another thing. If you bought on eBay just open the case on eBay as they give you a prepaid label unlike PayPal and refund much quicker.

People keep saying to get a refund from PayPal on the return postage but you can't if you open the case on eBay! Also no need to as eBay will send a label that they charge the seller for when the reason for the return is that the item isn't as described.

Upload the tracking and once the tracking shows that the item has been delivered you'll get a refund.

I'm afraid you can't ask for a partial refund via a case. You can only get a full refund after returning the item.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Apr
djnaff2 h, 40 m ago

What uk law covers a private sale?

The Consumer Rights Act.

which.co.uk/con…bay

When you buy from an individual, the Consumer Rights Act says that the goods you get must be as they were described to you.

For example, something second-hand should not be described as new. If it is, the seller is in breach of contract.

Thank you all. It seems that opening a dispute with ebay, rather than paypal is the way to go. I thought it was the other way round for some reason.

Thanks.
windym11 h, 5 m ago

The Consumer Rights …The Consumer Rights Act.https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-got-a-problem-with-something-i-bought-on-ebayWhen you buy from an individual, the Consumer Rights Act says that the goods you get must be as they were described to you.For example, something second-hand should not be described as new. If it is, the seller is in breach of contract.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 does not apply to private sellers
Pandamansays9 h, 13 m ago

Thank you all. It seems that opening a dispute with ebay, rather than …Thank you all. It seems that opening a dispute with ebay, rather than paypal is the way to go. I thought it was the other way round for some reason.Thanks.

Yeah... I have a case open for a not as described item that I returned. Was opened on the 27th of March and still not got my money back as they keep waiting for the seller to reply and seller is one of those that doesn't reply... Paypal likes to give several days to the parties to reply and this slows down everything, especially when the seller isn't responsive like in my case. You wait for their reply for nothing.

If it had been an item bought on eBay I would have had my refund already by now. The item was returned to the seller as instructed by Paypal to get my refund and tracking shows it was delivered on the 11th of April and I'm still waiting...

If you bought on eBay (unless you are outside their 30 days money back guarantee period, in which case you can only use Paypal) just open a case on there.

When you do a claim with Paypal and they tell you they will refund if you send back the item, you have to fork out for the postage and then claim for a refund for the return postage; the refunds on the returns postage you can get in a year are not limitless either and they cover only up to £15.
I had to send back to China and I just about managed to find a courier for under £15 as it needs to be a tracked delivery.
Edited by: "hearts22" 27th Apr
Update.

I opened a case on ebay for return requested as item not as descibed. This allows you to message the seller with photos. It also provided a prepaid label if needed. The seller responded by offering to refund some money which made the price more in keeeping with the condition, so I accepted. I'm happy now, so thanks everyone for your help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants