Expired

Ebay - item posted to confirmed Paypal address but buyer has moved ... ?!

Found 16th Mar 2014
I sold an item on Ebay and posted out to the confirmed Paypal address, the buyer then contacted me the next day to check I had posted to their new address?! Told them it had already gone and was on the way to the Paypal address I got when they ordered (which was the same as the Ebay address at that point, though they have now changed both addresses they say to their new address).

The item has not yet come back to me on return to sender / refused and it was a week ago now.

However, it was not sent tracked just normal packet post ... am I going to have to send another one to the new address as I can't prove delivery, even though it was posted to the correct address at the time? Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments

yes I'm afraid so.

If it was tracked then no but seller protection insists on tracking

As far as PayPal will see if you have no tracking they will deem it as not sent yet but they won't accept the new delivery address as it wasn't confirmed or provided by them, that is unless the buyer makes a new payment with the new address. From what you say the buyer is at fault for wrong delivery address but PayPal won't see it that way as all they want to see is tracking info for an item heading to an address that they have provided you.

You will have to have a polite discussion with PayPal and pass over the communication you have received from the buyer re the new address.

If you put a return address on your item it should be returned eventually by Royal Mail. If not proof of posting may be required to make a claim for loss.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 16th Mar 2014

Original Poster

Hi thanks for the answers.

I was hoping it would just come straight back to me marked 'gone away' or similar, but posted it last Monday & no sign of it yet. All my items always have a return address on them.

It's just so annoying that is is the buyers fault for not giving me the right address, but I will probably be the one who loses out if the new person at the old address given just decides to keep it.

Will just have to keep my fingers crossed that it might come back to me eventually ...

You never know, like most home movers the buyer may have had a postal direct in place for all their mail with all mail addressed to them being forwarded to their new address. They would be silly to not have done this as there is always months of mail to arrive after their house move

I think its really annoying that the buyer didn't tell you about the new address until after you had sent it! You are not psychic, you sent it to his PayPal address!
Grrrrrrrrr

In my opinion, the buyer should have added a note at the point of purchase saying they were about to move house, and could you please send the item to the new address. Other than that, they should have waited until after the move to order, once their new address was verified with PayPal. How can you, as a seller, see into the future and know what your buyer is going to do tomorrow?

Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the messages.

Apparently she hadn't lived at that address ' for ages'. She messaged me Monday evening to check it had been posted to the new address which she had changed Monday morning (sale went through over the weekend & I had already posted Monday morning to the confirmed Paypal address on the order).

Why do people think sellers have access to their accounts?! If I did have access to her account she would have bought a lot more things from me!

Just have to hope now that it does make it's way back eventually ...

I think it is the buyers problem and I personally keep receipts to show that it was sent even if it's not tracked as people don't always want to pay the cost for tracked. I think if the buyer contacted ebay they would see it as the buyers fault. Not too sure tbh whether they wouldn't expect you to refund it

You've fulfilled the transaction on your side and it's the buyers fault for giving an old shipping address so no need to bend over backwards. They probably gave you the new address, if you google both post codes, how far in miles is it between the two?

eBay can see your communication with the buyer when you message them through eBay so be polite but firm with them. If they open a case, eBay will side with you. Give them these options:

1) Pick up the item from the address. If no one resides at the address, tell them to take proof of ID and collect it from the local delivery office.

2) If they refuse the above then it's just ifs and buts from here on. If it was a big item which wouldn't have gone through the letter box and provided there is no one currently residing there, the item will be returned back after about 3 weeks if no one collects it from the delivery office.

3) If they still want the item, get them to pay the full amount and tell them if the first item comes back, you will refund them.

Very much the buyers fault but as with many ebay questions on here the problem is that it wasn't sent recorded so you have no proof for your side of the story.

cdm22

Very much the buyers fault but as with many ebay questions on here the … Very much the buyers fault but as with many ebay questions on here the problem is that it wasn't sent recorded so you have no proof for your side of the story.

If he has his post office receipt, that coupled with the buyers admission of giving an old address would be enough

Banned

How far does the buyer live from old address? Maybe buyer could go down and pick up from old address?

Bloody buyers like this! This is why I hate selling on eBay, it's full of idiots.

Give eBay a call as I sell on eBay a lot and had a problem last week and they sided with me the seller

rikkif1990

Bloody buyers like this! This is why I hate selling on eBay, it's full of … Bloody buyers like this! This is why I hate selling on eBay, it's full of idiots.

I agree last week I had a terrible one who bought some sandals off me and because they didn't match her bag she wanted a refund

Post a turd to their new address. To make Paypal happy make sure you get proof of posting

mdekq007

Post a turd to their new address. To make Paypal happy make sure you get … Post a turd to their new address. To make Paypal happy make sure you get proof of posting

LMAO!

Banned

simplyjimbo

As far as PayPal will see if you have no tracking they will deem it as … As far as PayPal will see if you have no tracking they will deem it as not sent yet but they won't accept the new delivery address as it wasn't confirmed or provided by them, that is unless the buyer makes a new payment with the new address. From what you say the buyer is at fault for wrong delivery address but PayPal won't see it that way as all they want to see is tracking info for an item heading to an address that they have provided you.You will have to have a polite discussion with PayPal and pass over the communication you have received from the buyer re the new address.If you put a return address on your item it should be returned eventually by Royal Mail. If not proof of posting may be required to make a claim for loss.

or stolen by the Royal Mail!!

hi I had the same problem once,I asked buyer to check at there local sorting office in case it had been returned there or if local go to their old house and ask new owners. But ebay and paypal both sent you the address you sent it to so it is not your fault,they will refund the buyer and your fees too as there mistake! well thats what they did with me anyway. I did eventually get the item returned to me but it was months later!

It's the buyer's fault and they should take it on the chin.

If I send something worth less than £46 I don't send it by registered (unless buyer requests and pays). I keep proof of postage and if buyer claims it's lost, I tell them I'll claim back through RM but they've recently cracked down on fraud and the postman will be asked to submit evidence confirming they did not deliver it. That might scare them into telling the truth.
Post a comment
@
    Text