Ebay knew from text message?

Posted 19th Sep
Right I had been looking for a bracelet for someone, two weeks ago while browsing Amazon. Never looked at ebay.

I had just mentioned a specific type I liked via text to someone. 5 minutes later a similar one came up via the eBay app.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
My wife had facebook messager on her phone and noticed ads were becoming suspciously linked to our recent conversations. Yes it could be a massive coincidence but when we did further tests and spoke clearly and repetedly said out loud "rotary moccasins" - which would not be something said very often! - very oddly her phone started to display adverts for rotary washing lines and moccasin slippers. Complete coincidence I am sure!!

App was duly removed and spooky adverts stopped.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 19th Sep
33 Comments
Targeted ads and tracking, it happens all the time, nothing to worry about.
Just happened, shocked by it. Similar to the one I mentioned via the text, from China, but refuse to buy it now.
xenophon19/09/2019 09:19

Just happened, shocked by it. Similar to the one I mentioned via the …Just happened, shocked by it. Similar to the one I mentioned via the text, from China, but refuse to buy it now.

You on facebook? Apparently facebook tracks you even when you not on your facebook account

Just happened, shocked by it. Similar to the one I mentioned via the …Just happened, shocked by it. Similar to the one I mentioned via the text, from China, but refuse to buy it now.

On a phone I dont know but on a laptop/PC check out Ghostery browser add-on.. Scary what info is pulled from any given page! (and subsequently blocked!).
Haircut_10019/09/2019 09:17

Targeted ads and tracking, it happens all the time, nothing to worry about.

Just coincidence? Maybe, several have come up over the last two weeks. But odd I had just mentioned the type via text and lo and behold it came up.

Do you allow your apps to access your contacts / sms?
Bully19/09/2019 09:21

You on facebook? Apparently facebook tracks you even when you not on your …You on facebook? Apparently facebook tracks you even when you not on your facebook account

It's likely that the OP had been browsing Amazon for the item and the algorithms took the keyword entered and the product description and then it was shared with advertising elsewhere or something like that. You see when you visit a website and you get that GDPR notice about permissions adverts, and how depending on your choice they may be either targeted for you or non-targeted and less relevant? This is what it's all about, taking note of the products you browse and then showing you adverts for the same kind of items on other websites and apps. It does feel a bit like being spied on sometimes doesn't it.
Bully19/09/2019 09:21

You on facebook? Apparently facebook tracks you even when you not on your …You on facebook? Apparently facebook tracks you even when you not on your facebook account

Once briefly years ago and never again.
xenophon19/09/2019 09:31

Just coincidence? Maybe, several have come up over the last two weeks. But …Just coincidence? Maybe, several have come up over the last two weeks. But odd I had just mentioned the type via text and lo and behold it came up.

What do you mean when you say "it came up on eBay", are you referring to an Amazon advert for that product on the eBay app or an advert from somewhere else? That's exactly what targeted advertising does, it's not a coincidence.
xenophon19/09/2019 09:35

No I just installed it.

Some apps request this permission.
Haircut_10019/09/2019 09:35

What do you mean when you say "it came up on eBay", are you referring to …What do you mean when you say "it came up on eBay", are you referring to an Amazon advert for that product on the eBay app or an advert from somewhere else? That's exactly what targeted advertising does, it's not a coincidence.

Came up on my eBay app.
Yes
My wife had facebook messager on her phone and noticed ads were becoming suspciously linked to our recent conversations. Yes it could be a massive coincidence but when we did further tests and spoke clearly and repetedly said out loud "rotary moccasins" - which would not be something said very often! - very oddly her phone started to display adverts for rotary washing lines and moccasin slippers. Complete coincidence I am sure!!

App was duly removed and spooky adverts stopped.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 19th Sep
If you liked it then you probably visited it's Amazon page more than other items.
I do this all the time to mess with my wife when on the wifi. I'll search for luxury holidays or expensive bracelets so she gets the adds pop up on her Facebook page, oh I laugh when I see the expression on her face.
We've been discussing this as a family in recent months and we all have similar stories.

For example, I'll be speaking to my sister (face to face) and might ask her "What is cloud farming?".

A few minutes later I'll go onto google and type 'What is
Google will suggest: 'What is cloud farming?'

My sister has all these conspiracy theories but I don't believe it. There's no eye in the sky.
Thank you chaps. Seems I'm not alone.
Targeted ads and tracking, it happens all the time, you should be worried about it and take preventative measures from it happening again.
Txt your friend again and say you are looking to buy a rubber dildo, if Ebay alerts you to rubber dildo for sale I would burn your phone .
Edited by: "Donkii" 19th Sep
notalwaysright1919/09/2019 11:22

We've been discussing this as a family in recent months and we all have …We've been discussing this as a family in recent months and we all have similar stories. For example, I'll be speaking to my sister (face to face) and might ask her "What is cloud farming?". A few minutes later I'll go onto google and type 'What is Google will suggest: 'What is cloud farming?'My sister has all these conspiracy theories but I don't believe it. There's no eye in the sky.

...you don't believe it despite your prime example...?
Sc4mp019/09/2019 10:21

I do this all the time to mess with my wife when on the wifi. I'll search …I do this all the time to mess with my wife when on the wifi. I'll search for luxury holidays or expensive bracelets so she gets the adds pop up on her Facebook page, oh I laugh when I see the expression on her face.

"Sc4mp0, when are we going on fooking holiday again, and when was the last fecking time you bought me anything nice!"

We've been discussing this as a family in recent months and we all have …We've been discussing this as a family in recent months and we all have similar stories. For example, I'll be speaking to my sister (face to face) and might ask her "What is cloud farming?". A few minutes later I'll go onto google and type 'What is Google will suggest: 'What is cloud farming?'My sister has all these conspiracy theories but I don't believe it. There's no eye in the sky.

Totally agree with your sister. I receive an IT security email once a week and one of the notable topics was how...trying to recall but i think it was Kapersky Labs (Anit-virus) who decided to monitor the network traffic on a smartphone in a quiet and then a noisy room. Now this phone had no apps open whatsoever and the traffic on the phone in a quiet room was not up to much but then they noticed lots of traffic from the same phone in a noisy room!

I've had it happen myself when i'm been talking to partner in the lounge about something and then when i go on 'Fakebook' or look at my phone, I'm targeted with ads that i was talking about!

Inless you must be a paid informant to spread that there is no eye in the sky
This is all just confirmation bias. Your phone is not listening to you; instead, you (or the people you're connected to) are providing the advertisers with information via other mechanisms without you remembering or realising.

Zero evidence: bbc.co.uk/new…682
paul_merton19/09/2019 15:16

This is all just confirmation bias. Your phone is not listening to you; …This is all just confirmation bias. Your phone is not listening to you; instead, you (or the people you're connected to) are providing the advertisers with information via other mechanisms without you remembering or realising.Zero evidence: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49585682

Possibly, but I still think they are listening. I was talking to a friend on the commute back from work with the Youtube app open on my phone. He spoke about 'actors roundtable' videos and whether I'd seen any, to which I said no but it sounds interesting and would give it a watch.

When I got home I opened Youtube and that exact video was the 2nd recommended video on my home page!

The roundtable series of videos has been around for many years. I have never seen any nor been recommended any previously, despite it being exactly the kind of thing I'd watch. I can only conclude our conversation had been listened to.
PhilKelix219/09/2019 15:36

Possibly, but I still think they are listening. I was talking to a friend …Possibly, but I still think they are listening. I was talking to a friend on the commute back from work with the Youtube app open on my phone. He spoke about 'actors roundtable' videos and whether I'd seen any, to which I said no but it sounds interesting and would give it a watch.When I got home I opened Youtube and that exact video was the 2nd recommended video on my home page!The roundtable series of videos has been around for many years. I have never seen any nor been recommended any previously, despite it being exactly the kind of thing I'd watch. I can only conclude our conversation had been listened to.

It could be anything. Tracking apps could phone home and both your devices could have a common attribute (due to you being in the same vicinity for a long time, on the same route) and the tracking app would have said "these two are both males* in the same age group*, they're likely to be travelling together, let's give each a suggestion of what the other constantly looks at"

*based on previous tracking

It could also be that the BBC article is paid to say that. Lest we forget tomsguide.com/us/…tml
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 19th Sep
We'll my tests did not include writing those test keywords, they were only spoken....so I can only conclude the phone microphone was actively monitoring at all times. I might test again, perhaps use another couple of seldom used words such as "wife diamond"
spannerzone19/09/2019 16:18

We'll my tests did not include writing those test keywords, they were only …We'll my tests did not include writing those test keywords, they were only spoken....so I can only conclude the phone microphone was actively monitoring at all times. I might test again, perhaps use another couple of seldom used words such as "wife diamond"

Lol, I feel sorry for your wife
Happens to the husband a lot! Google maps seems to be another bad one... Certain ads will pop up on his phone after he's driven somewhere using Google maps as navigation... It seems to listen to his conversations in the car or even music he has listen to (via Bluetooth in the car) and if he mentions a brand they will appear in ads
xenophon19/09/2019 09:41

Yes

Its sort of to be expected when your phone is operated an advert company
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants