eBay "laptopoutletdirect" has sold me a faulty laptop, what are my options when they won't respond?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
Hi there, I bought a laptop on eBay from "laptopoutletdirect" which has quite a large eBay store which was "manufacturer refurbished". It's bricked itself after a Windows update after 1 months usage, exactly as described in this forum post and now the seller won't respond on eBay after requested return, what are my options? I think I read i'm not protected by the "eBay buyer gaurantee" for some reason, but surely a laptop lasting 1 month is not "fit for purpose" and I'm protected by the consumer rights act? I don't know where to go from here though, because there's no way of contacting eBay directly about it?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
Open a dispute on paypal
Start the process of requesting a return through eBay.
ebay 30 days, paypal 180 days.
wad there a warranty on the item?
AMaky24/12/2019 18:26

ebay 30 days, paypal 180 days.wad there a warranty on the item?

It was a manufacturer refurb so I don’t think so... I bought it through my credit card not paypal stupidly thinking it would be safer/easier to get back if something went wrong :-(
Haircut_10024/12/2019 18:24

Start the process of requesting a return through eBay.

I have, been waiting weeks for a reply from the seller
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 18:27

It was a manufacturer refurb so I don’t think so... I bought it through my …It was a manufacturer refurb so I don’t think so... I bought it through my credit card not paypal stupidly thinking it would be safer/easier to get back if something went wrong :-(

Actually it appears I checked out as a ‘paypal guest’ so maybe I can give them the transaction ID and go through them after all
If you used a credit card contact them they do a chargeback
You may have a problem as reading the link you provided it appears it is not the laptop, but the software update that is at fault.
No warranty will cover that.
A note on Lenovo warranty. True experience, now currently in dispute - fatigues Lenovo notebook 'died' after 3 weeks use. Returned under warranty, the warranty company say not covered due to 'water damage' and quote £300 to repair. It cost less than £250 brand new. They want £35 pay and packaging to return it. No water damage, used about 6 times and kept in the retail box. Can't dispute with them. If I don't pay they keep laptop, which in effect means they get warranty payment from lenovo, and either £35 off me or a laptop with probably very little wrong with it. Rip off or what.
Luckily I live round the corner so I will walk in and demand it back.
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 18:28

I have, been waiting weeks for a reply from the seller

You don't need a reply from the seller to start the return procedure on eBay. Go to the My eBay page, then Purchases, find the item, and then click on it (or more options if on app), and then select Request A Return. That starts the return process, eBay will then message them and take things on from there.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th Dec 2019
Haircut_10024/12/2019 18:48

You don't need a reply from the seller to start the return procedure on …You don't need a reply from the seller to start the return procedure on eBay. Go to the My eBay page, then Purchases, find the item, and then click on it (or more options if on app), and then select Request A Return. That starts the return process, eBay will then message them and take things on from there.

I’ve started the return procedure, but because for some reason it’s not covered for ebay buyer protection, all I can do is wait for the seller to reply to the return request which they aren’t doing...
AMaky24/12/2019 18:26

ebay 30 days, paypal 180 days.

PayPal does not provide a warranty, but may support a claim for non-provision of merchant warranty against the merchant if a merchant warranty was conditional to the purchase (OP to state yes or no, but highly likely merchant stated 6months wrnty on a man-refurb item), assuming the issue is classed as warranty-eligible.
As above, go straight to your CC company. If it's American express then they're excellent, I got my money back within 24 hours with them.
Talk to lenovo. my experience is that they are very good about warranty and you can check the warranty status online using the serial number.
pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/…kup
mas9924/12/2019 20:42

Talk to lenovo. my experience is that they are very good about warranty …Talk to lenovo. my experience is that they are very good about warranty and you can check the warranty status online using the serial number.https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/warrantylookup#/

I tried that, apparently it has no warranty at all! :-(
This could be a real pain in the as# as you used a credit card but checked out via PayPal most credit card companies have a clause in the t&c saying charge backs under section 75 protection only work if there is no 3rd party involved PayPal,groupon,wowcher normally always fall under a 3rd party. Dont let that put you off ringing them but just wanted to make you aware .
The other problem is it was refurbish how long did they give a warranty for and did it cover software update failure.
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 20:42

I tried that, apparently it has no warranty at all! :-(

Kick up a stink on social media, mention trading standards / watchdog etc. They are selling windows 10 laptops that are not suitable for windows 10.

Lenovo are at fault
I thought laptop outlet gave 6 months warranty on all laptops?
Have you got the link of the item purchased?
spyro12324/12/2019 20:49

I thought laptop outlet gave 6 months warranty on all laptops?Have you got …I thought laptop outlet gave 6 months warranty on all laptops?Have you got the link of the item purchased?

Do they?

It was this:

ebay.co.uk/itm…649

EDIT: It does say 6 month warranty!!! So why aren't they responding? I'll keep messaging them
Edited by: "UnluckyForSome" 24th Dec 2019
larrylightweight24/12/2019 20:47

This could be a real pain in the as# as you used a credit card but checked …This could be a real pain in the as# as you used a credit card but checked out via PayPal most credit card companies have a clause in the t&c saying charge backs under section 75 protection only work if there is no 3rd party involved PayPal,groupon,wowcher normally always fall under a 3rd party. Dont let that put you off ringing them but just wanted to make you aware .The other problem is it was refurbish how long did they give a warranty for and did it cover software update failure.

Oh blimey. I'll have to look into all this!

It was this:

ebay.co.uk/itm…649
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 20:51

Do they?It was …Do they?It was this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-15-6-Full-HD-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-3-4GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-10/401742542480?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Yes they do vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/…r=1
It says it on it.
I would start a return process with eBay and send it back recorded delivery.
They will refund you.
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 20:51

Do they?It was …Do they?It was this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-15-6-Full-HD-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-3-4GB-128GB-SSD-Windows-10/401742542480?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649EDIT: It does say 6 month warranty!!! So why aren't they responding? I'll keep messaging them

These are Open boxed / Returned units that are professionally refurbished. Cosmetically they may bear marks / scratches / small dents that would not hinder functionality. They may be in replacement packaging might have non-original accessories. Non-essential accessories (Manuals / etc) may be missing. They come with 6 months warranty

39488670-V07gm.jpg
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Dec 2019
deeky24/12/2019 20:56

These are Open boxed / Returned units that are professionally refurbished. …These are Open boxed / Returned units that are professionally refurbished. Cosmetically they may bear marks / scratches / small dents that would not hinder functionality. They may be in replacement packaging might have non-original accessories. Non-essential accessories (Manuals / etc) may be missing. They come with 6 months warranty[Image]

Thanks guys, on eBay this was hidden with the rest of specs and I missed it. I wonder why they haven’t been responding... anyway i’ll keep trying to get in contact!
They are probably busy at Christmas I wouldn't worry
you may not like what i am about to say,

cannot you get a friend to put on Linux mint on it.
allowed24/12/2019 21:01

you may not like what i am about to say, cannot you get a friend to put on …you may not like what i am about to say, cannot you get a friend to put on Linux mint on it.

Aha no, it doesn’t even post to BIOS anymore :-(
OP are you sure the original listing says manufacturer refurbished ?

Because this is a fault lenovo are well aware of so they shouldn't be refurbishing to a state where an update is required that bricks it.
m1keyp1key24/12/2019 21:07

OP are you sure the original listing says manufacturer refurbished ? …OP are you sure the original listing says manufacturer refurbished ? Because this is a fault lenovo are well aware of so they shouldn't be refurbishing to a state where an update is required that bricks it.

So the state I got the laptop in had Windows 10 pre-installed, the BIOS was working but no bios settings were being saved as every time you would hit ‘save and exit’ it would throw up an error... so the bios was never fully working anyway... but i fancied reinstalling windows so I did a fresh install with a bootable usb. That was fine, but then when installation was finalised it grabbed a bunch of updates off windows update (windows installation media must have been a few months old) and then these updates have somehow messed with the bios bootrom itself and is causing the issue where the laptop now just spins up it’s fans to 100% with nothing on the screen (no lenovo logo or anything)... so the bios is corrupted somehow :-( i’ve tried all the things a relatively tech-savvy person would try too, but no luck, it’s dead!
Hmmmmmm i'd probably have to take it up with the company you bought from and they can take it up with Lenovo passing on stuff to them that hasn't been refurbished properly.
For clarity: the statutory consumer obligations are with the merchant, not the manufacturer. The manufacturer may offer gesture of goodwill assistance, but OP indicates not and that probably is in OPs favour.
OP likely has a merchant warranty claim, not a return claim. Merchant is unlikely to respond to any comms over current holiday period.
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 18:27

eBay "laptopoutletdirect" has sold me a faulty laptop... So the state I …eBay "laptopoutletdirect" has sold me a faulty laptop... So the state I got the laptop in had Windows 10 pre-installed, the BIOS was working but no bios settings were being saved as every time you would hit ‘save and exit’ it would throw up an error... so the bios was never fully working anyway... but i fancied reinstalling windows so I did a fresh install with a bootable usb. That was fine, but then when installation was finalised it grabbed a bunch of updates off windows update (windows installation media must have been a few months old) and then these updates have somehow messed with the bios bootrom itself and is causing the issue

With respect: that choice of words is misleading. You were sold a functional laptop with a functional OEM version of Windows; arguably with a UEFI non-save issue (that you appear not to have informed the merchant about). The functional laptop subsequently became faulty when you chose to install a non-OEM version of Windows. Regardless of OEM or non-OEM, it would be reasonable to expect the hardware to function on any credible version of the OS that it was intended to run, in which case you have a more than a reasonably justifiable merchant warranty claim.
You may alternatively have an option to return for refund via the merchant's voluntary 30day return offer assuming you notified the merchant of your intention to return within the 30days window, however the merchant may reasonably decline that return as you have changed the OS to one that does not function, in which case your situation would revert to merchant warranty claim option as previously mentioned.
You may also have an option for statutory 30days rejection under CRA, but again this may be diluted due to OS change so again may revert to merchant warranty claim option as previously mentioned.
As there is at least three options here you may have confused the merchant with your intentions, especially as you indicate you were not originally aware of the warranty. If your "1 months usage" resulted in you contacting the merchant about the issue outside of (any) original 30days stautory rejection period and / or the merchant's volutary 30day return period then your only remaining option is warranty claim. No ebay nor PayPal nor chargeback would be applicable unless the merchant chose to continue to ignore comms after the holiday period, and if so it is unlikely ebay or PayPal would become involved over a 30day+ warranty claim that wasn't being serviced, so your choice of options would be chargeback or LBA/MCOL.
AndyRoyd24/12/2019 22:51

With respect: that choice of words is misleading. You were sold a …With respect: that choice of words is misleading. You were sold a functional laptop with a functional OEM version of Windows; arguably with a UEFI non-save issue (that you appear not to have informed the merchant about). The functional laptop subsequently became faulty when you chose to install a non-OEM version of Windows. Regardless of OEM or non-OEM, it would be reasonable to expect the hardware to function on any credible version of the OS that it was intended to run, in which case you have a more than a reasonably justifiable merchant warranty claim. You may alternatively have an option to return for refund via the merchant's voluntary 30day return offer assuming you notified the merchant of your intention to return within the 30days window, however the merchant may reasonably decline that return as you have changed the OS to one that does not function, in which case your situation would revert to merchant warranty claim option as previously mentioned.You may also have an option for statutory 30days rejection under CRA, but again this may be diluted due to OS change so again may revert to merchant warranty claim option as previously mentioned.As there is at least three options here you may have confused the merchant with your intentions, especially as you indicate you were not originally aware of the warranty. If your "1 months usage" resulted in you contacting the merchant about the issue outside of (any) original 30days stautory rejection period and / or the merchant's volutary 30day return period then your only remaining option is warranty claim. No ebay nor PayPal nor chargeback would be applicable unless the merchant chose to continue to ignore comms after the holiday period, and if so it is unlikely ebay or PayPal would become involved over a 30day+ warranty claim that wasn't being serviced, so your choice of options would be chargeback or LBA/MCOL.

Well... it was faulty but I take your point Thankyou for the info
UnluckyForSome24/12/2019 22:53

Well... it was faulty but I take your point Thankyou for the …Well... it was faulty but I take your point Thankyou for the info

With more respect: at worst the item was functional-but-with-a-potential-issue on receipt, and became completely non-functional when you chose to change the OS. If the merchant told you to change the OS you will have a stronger case for merchant warranty claim.
I've installed a lot of OSes on a variety of systems of different vintages, and have never come across one corrupting a BIOS or UEFI. It definitely sounds like an inherent fault to me.

(Weirdly, I have experienced the almost exact opposite, where a particular BIOS corrupted otherwise completely functional installation media.)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions