Ebay "make an offer"

Found 7th Jun
Has anyone used this? What sort of discount should you be asking for and what have you been successful with? Is it like a bartering system where you start low and meet in the middle? Or is your offer just rejected?

I've never used this feature before.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
deleted1132166
You have the opportunity to make just 3 offers.
First offer 25% lower. Seller will most likely reject your offer and can counter offer.
Counter offer will give you good idea what they want
See this thread from yesterday HUKD which touches on similar halfway through.

Just be aware that from 12hrs before the listing ends someone bids in the auction option then the listing automatically goes to bids only and any best offers by you or counter offers by the seller are void.
Search for same item and find out what the cheapest 'buy now' price is, watch auctions for same item and see what they are actually selling for and use these figures as your guide.

Often sellers use the best offer option just to create more interest in there listing, more traffic towards themselves, whilst often only accepting offers marginally below the buy now.
andynicol7 m ago

Search for same item and find out what the cheapest 'buy now' price is, …Search for same item and find out what the cheapest 'buy now' price is, watch auctions for same item and see what they are actually selling for and use these figures as your guide.Often sellers use the best offer option just to create more interest in there listing, more traffic towards themselves, whilst often only accepting offers marginally below the buy now.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The item I'm after is also produced by the seller, I was thinking a 5% discount would work but 10% probably not. I'll start it at 15% and see how it goes. I was just unsure how the system worked and if I bid too low that was it so thanks for the 3 attempts.
Hopefully he’ll counter offer on each attempt.
If you offer too low, some sellers don't bother with you and then just decline. Don't go too low as your first offer to avoid this happening
I have had a variety of experiences with the best offer. Some sellers have shocked me by accepting my cheeky low 1st offer (my last car was listed for £1200, I offered £800 and it was accepted, I had expected some negotiation). Other sellers have the buy it now option but don’t seem to accept any offers and only have the button there to attract interest in their item (I have had sellers point blank tell me no offers when I’ve made an offer).

i find that most people will take 10-20% off the full price. Always start with a low offer, the buyer can counter offer if they want and you can accept that or try to haggle some more
farmlama12 h, 1 m ago

I have had a variety of experiences with the best offer. Some sellers have …I have had a variety of experiences with the best offer. Some sellers have shocked me by accepting my cheeky low 1st offer (my last car was listed for £1200, I offered £800 and it was accepted, I had expected some negotiation). Other sellers have the buy it now option but don’t seem to accept any offers and only have the button there to attract interest in their item (I have had sellers point blank tell me no offers when I’ve made an offer).i find that most people will take 10-20% off the full price. Always start with a low offer, the buyer can counter offer if they want and you can accept that or try to haggle some more

Sometimes when relisting eBay automatically puts best offer accepted in the listing... You have to remember to tick that off if you don't want them.

I tend not to have that option as usually I get ridiculous offers. Like less than 50% of what I'm asking.

I accepted sensible offers in the past on certain items.
I used the 10% Ebay offer (code PERFECTTEN) for 10% off but I'll deffo use the make an offer in the future. If Ebay can take a 10% hit then I think a 20% starting point is a fair amount.

Thanks for the responses.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants