Groups
    EXPIRED

Ebay moan/query

Okay, so 5 days ago I bid reasonable amount on item on ebay. Have watched it daily and although loads of other bids, mine remained highest. Item due to end tomorrow, but just had email from ebay to say seller has withdrawn item and now relisted as buy it now, which is much more than I was offering.

Can they do this? I cannot see anything in ebay resolution centre that allows me to raise this.

34 Comments

I think they can change their mind up until the last 24 hours.

Send negative feedback

They can change their mind up to 24 hours before end of bidding, but eBay usually punishes sellers that do this more than once a year with fines. In your case there is not much you can do, but rest assured they won't last very long as sellers if they keep doing it.
    Edited by: "napolimp" 10th Jul 2014

You won't be able to send negative feedback as you didn't win the item

napolimp

They can change their mind up to 24 hours before end of bidding, but eBay … They can change their mind up to 24 hours before end of bidding, but eBay usually punishes buyers that do this more than once a year with fines. In your case there is not much you can do, but rest assured they won't last very long as sellers if they keep doing it.

But he aint a buyer, its a seller that has changed the item to buy it now, its the buyer who looses out.
    Edited by: "Daytrader" 10th Jul 2014

Daytrader

But he aint a buyer, its a seller that has changed the item to buy it … But he aint a buyer, its a seller that has changed the item to buy it now, its the buyer who looses out.

My bad, meant sellers, typed buyers by mistake. Makes more sense now.

You can actually withdraw a item your selling 12 Hours before it ends

He/she is within their rights. If they were violating Ebays auction terms then it would not let them end the listing,

I have been here before, I made an error in the listing, the colour was totally wrong and only realised until about 3 hours before end of auction. It would not let me end listing and would not let me even edit the thing, so people thought they were bidding on a different coloured item altogether, totally nuts. It had very few bids at that point and all I wanted to do was let people know of the actual colour of the item! The then bidder had no relevance to the final bid cost, so why not let me add on the colour change? Mental!

Anyway back to your item, it is a little silly though as most bids on the item come within the last few hours of an auction. No idea why he/she cancelled it. I imagine he/she is a new Ebay seller, just keep an eye on the listing as I fairly well imagine they will have overpriced it and it will either be for sale much less because they are sick and tired of Ebay or it will once again come under auction.

Also if they are a new seller they may even list the item for auction to end at a stupid time like between 11pm and 9am or something similar.

i reckon you would've probably been outbid anyway. most people put in bids in the last minute.
    seems like the seller is inexperienced with the ways of ebay and panicked, thinking the item would sell for considerably less than market value/their perceived price.

just keep bidding on alternatives. unless it's a collectible/rare item (e.g. jukebox 7" of a non album pink floyd track), there'll be many more auctions (e.g. apple TV) and if you put in enough bids on enough auctions, you'd get lucky at a low price one day

Original Poster

DennisG

i reckon you would've probably been outbid anyway. most people put in … i reckon you would've probably been outbid anyway. most people put in bids in the last minute.seems like the seller is inexperienced with the ways of ebay and panicked, thinking the item would sell for considerably less than market value/their perceived price.just keep bidding on alternatives. unless it's a collectible/rare item (e.g. jukebox 7" of a non album pink floyd track), there'll be many more auctions (e.g. apple TV) and if you put in enough bids on enough auctions, you'd get lucky at a low price one day

I believe the seller did panic...and I would have bid more if outbid, but was still highest bidder when he/she removed it...and i had been highest bidder for 4-5 days. I just feel powerless as cannot complain and feel this is an abuse of ebay...to auction something, then withdraw it and relist as was not reaching as much as they had hoped. Pathetic, weak and dishonest in my opinion. Surely if you 'auction' something, it should go to highest bidder.....if they had wanted (or paid for) minimum price, this would not be an issue!

you think that's bad - people often refuse to sell AFTER an auction ends, saying the item broke or they sold it elsewhere or no longer for sale and then relist it later, hoping to get a better price. That's really out of order. It's happened to me a few times before (especially as the collectible market I dip into occasionally has wildly varying prices depending on how many people search for that item that week).
    It really makes you feel powerless, and annoyingly you can't force the person to transact because you'll send the money and they won't send the item.

2 of my auctions lately started at 99p and finished at 99p, what makes it worse is that the second part of those auctions (both auctions had 2 items in them as one lot) I was missing an item in each one (both identical) as I had miscounted my stock.

I could have easily refused to send the items:

A) Because they went for just 99p
    B) I genuinely did not have the second part of each package as I had miscounted

Option A is totally wrong but loads of people do it, the second one is totally genuine and everyone makes mistakes from time to time and if that is genuinely what happened then I would accept the cancel, however there is no way of knowing what actually happened for sure if you are the buyer so a cancel may come across as welching out of a low sale.

What did I do?

I searched the internet for the second items and shipped them out to the buyer at a massive loss to myself?

Why? Because an auction is an auction and I personally would expect to get the item if I was in the bidders shoes and had bid and won!
    Edited by: "NEtech" 11th Jul 2014

Good effort netech.
    I'd like to think I'd do the same to protect my flawless reputation and to give the excellent level of customer dedication I like to think I give, and because it's the honest and fair thing to do. You take a hit but you'll make up for it elsewhere.
    This is the ethos behind the original eBay community. Unfortunately these days these types of sellers are few and far between.

DennisG

you think that's bad - people often refuse to sell AFTER an auction ends, … you think that's bad - people often refuse to sell AFTER an auction ends, saying the item broke or they sold it elsewhere or no longer for sale and then relist it later, hoping to get a better price. That's really out of order. It's happened to me a few times before (especially as the collectible market I dip into occasionally has wildly varying prices depending on how many people search for that item that week).It really makes you feel powerless, and annoyingly you can't force the person to transact because you'll send the money and they won't send the item.

actually you can take them to small claims court if they are in the UK. you can also report to ebay, but yes, i know, ebay tend not to do anything about it at all.

NEtech

2 of my auctions lately started at 99p and finished at 99p, what makes it … 2 of my auctions lately started at 99p and finished at 99p, what makes it worse is that the second part of those auctions (both auctions had 2 items in them as one lot) I was missing an item in each one (both identical) as I had miscounted my stock.I could have easily refused to send the items:A) Because they went for just 99pB) I genuinely did not have the second part of each package as I had miscountedOption A is totally wrong but loads of people do it, the second one is totally genuine and everyone makes mistakes from time to time and if that is genuinely what happened then I would accept the cancel, however there is no way of knowing what actually happened for sure if you are the buyer so a cancel may come across as welching out of a low sale.What did I do?I searched the internet for the second items and shipped them out to the buyer at a massive loss to myself?Why? Because an auction is an auction and I personally would expect to get the item if I was in the bidders shoes and had bid and won!

i applaud you, but i also think your integrity has something more to do with the fact that negative feedback would end up costing you more in lost ebay discounts than out of the kindness of your heart. call me cynical.......
    Edited by: "fuhu78888" 11th Jul 2014

ebay can be a frustrating place sometimes, but overall, its benefits outweigh its frustrations, both in terms of bagging a bargain, and making money on the side from unwanted/recycled goods.

Fuhu , firstly thanks for the applause. Secondly, yes you are being cynical, feedback means nothing, customer support means everything. A few negs here and there are the norm on Ebay.

Also I don't get any Ebay discounts at all, in fact I opened a shop last month with a new account and could only list 10 items for the month so that was a waste of 20 quid.

However my normal account is also very small but I have come to mindset that the customer comes first, if it costs a few quid then so what? Just put it down to expenses as that is what it is at the end of the day.

Another example on my new shop account. I sold some garden ornaments. Sold 3 of them to the same person but I only had 2 left (thought I could always get more but all 3 suppliers were sold out) so I contacted my customer explained to them we only had two left, would refund the third and include an extra item in the package for the inconvenience.

All in all I broke even on the sale, the customer is happy and I am not out of pocket. Again, customer service comes first.

With this item I could have purchased a load more to cover my back, however I was happy to keep the bare minimum with it being a seasonal item, I did not want to get stuck with stock that I could not sell. If I sell more than I have stock then I quickly get more, if it all goes pear shaped then it is only very minor for the odd item out of stock and I make sure I am the one who takes the hit and not the customer, in the end my pros outweigh the cons and everyone is happy.

At least that is how I hope it all turns out.

Edited by: "NEtech" 11th Jul 2014

Banned

Would you still want to buy off of a seller like this?

Original Poster

Cheers guys, I guess there is nothing I can do about it. Wish I could send negative feedback or alert ebay to his nefarious practices.
    Here is a link to his relisted item, I recommend not dealing with this person (it is a guy despite his listing name) as he is a coward and untrustworthy.

ebay.co.uk/itm…806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

I remember reading that if an item doesn't sell for a price the seller wants they can refund you your money stating they didn't reach an amount they were happy with. Was on one of the eBay faq pages.

Not a lot of people know about it. So they use the whole "this item is broken, so we binned it instead. Here's your money back."

I think you are reading way too much into why they have done it, it's not so bad in my opinion, just maybe look at it from their point of view. You list an item as an auction and as you said has a day left, but are unsure if it will reach the amountyou had in mind sso you remove the listing and put it as buy it now. Really not the end of the world in my opinion. I have won items previously and then been told that the item was damaged etc, only to see it relisted straight after. I have been the seller in a case where I was selling two identical Xbox games (had two due to buying bundles), one buyer saw I had sold two and instantly left negative feedback because they couldn't understand why anyone would have two identical games so I must be trying to rip them off somehow. People are weird and you've maybe just got to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes.
    Edited by: "MIDURIX" 11th Jul 2014

hermano2

I believe the seller did panic...and I would have bid more if outbid, but … I believe the seller did panic...and I would have bid more if outbid, but was still highest bidder when he/she removed it...and i had been highest bidder for 4-5 days. I just feel powerless as cannot complain and feel this is an abuse of ebay...to auction something, then withdraw it and relist as was not reaching as much as they had hoped. Pathetic, weak and dishonest in my opinion. Surely if you 'auction' something, it should go to highest bidder.....if they had wanted (or paid for) minimum price, this would not be an issue!

He did not panic at all, he just got greedy and thought he could get more and would not get enough from bidders, and he aint new to ebay as he has a 40 feedback, so what was his reason for ending auction ?

Original Poster

Daytrader

He did not panic at all, he just got greedy and thought he could get more … He did not panic at all, he just got greedy and thought he could get more and would not get enough from bidders, and he aint new to ebay as he has a 40 feedback, so what was his reason for ending auction ?

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing"

40 is relatively new to eBay, not necessarily long enough to learn the intricacies of selling, esp if most of those came as a buyer.

fuhu78888

actually you can take them to small claims court if they are in the UK. … actually you can take them to small claims court if they are in the UK. you can also report to ebay, but yes, i know, ebay tend not to do anything about it at all.

Only in principle. In reality it could end up being an expensive exercise in futility. I can imagine only a minuscule proportion of such transactions make it to small claims. Unfortunately as a resolution it's not really a very practical one, although if a few more people pursued it, it may scare a few crooked sellers straight.

DennisG

40 is relatively new to eBay, not necessarily long enough to learn the … 40 is relatively new to eBay, not necessarily long enough to learn the intricacies of selling, esp if most of those came as a buyer.

Nah, he knew exactly what he was doing, there was no error in his listing.

hermano2

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the … "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing"

So what was the error, did you compare the relisted item, he just used that as a excuse.

Its sellers like this that give Ebay a bad name. If the seller wanted more then they should have put a reserve price on the item.

MichyM

Its sellers like this that give Ebay a bad name. If the seller wanted … Its sellers like this that give Ebay a bad name. If the seller wanted more then they should have put a reserve price on the item.

yeah, but maybe they forgot to put a reserve on and realise a day before the auction ended. eBay is a weird auction in the fact that it can be going on for days. If you put an item for sale in a physical auction down your street you could remove the item 24 hours before the end no problems.

I know you're obviously annoyed but so what, he did what he's allowed to do.

MIDURIX

I think you are reading way too much into why they have done it, it's not … I think you are reading way too much into why they have done it, it's not so bad in my opinion, just maybe look at it from their point of view. You list an item as an auction and as you said has a day left, but are unsure if it will reach the amountyou had in mind sso you remove the listing and put it as buy it now. Really not the end of the world in my opinion. I have won items previously and then been told that the item was damaged etc, only to see it relisted straight after. I have been the seller in a case where I was selling two identical Xbox games (had two due to buying bundles), one buyer saw I had sold two and instantly left negative feedback because they couldn't understand why anyone would have two identical games so I must be trying to rip them off somehow. People are weird and you've maybe just got to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

I pretty much agree with you, and it's definitely nothing to get stressed over. I listed a phone on eBay a couple of weeks ago and it sold for £66, the buyer then contacted me after a couple of days and said they wanted it sent to them and they would pay when it arrived. I told them there was no way I was going to do that, and that's not how eBay works. He replied that he wasn't going to pay for it then, so I had to cancel the transaction and wait a week to get a final fee credit. I then relisted the item and it sold for £44 - so I made £20 less than I would have if that eBayer hadn't bid the first time round, and gained a whole lot of hassle.

Original Poster

napolimp

I pretty much agree with you, and it's definitely nothing to get stressed … I pretty much agree with you, and it's definitely nothing to get stressed over. I listed a phone on eBay a couple of weeks ago and it sold for £66, the buyer then contacted me after a couple of days and said they wanted it sent to them and they would pay when it arrived. I told them there was no way I was going to do that, and that's not how eBay works. He replied that he wasn't going to pay for it then, so I had to cancel the transaction and wait a week to get a final fee credit. I then relisted the item and it sold for £44 - so I made £20 less than I would have if that eBayer hadn't bid the first time round, and gained a whole lot of hassle.

Aye, but you had the option of giving him bad feedback...I have no recourse to that or any other way of expressing my feelings regards the non transaction and practices of this seller on ebay.

hermano2

Aye, but you had the option of giving him bad feedback...I have no … Aye, but you had the option of giving him bad feedback...I have no recourse to that or any other way of expressing my feelings regards the non transaction and practices of this seller on ebay.

You didn't lose out, whilst you could say that I did. And they were a new eBayer so negative feedback makes no difference.

hermano2

Aye, but you had the option of giving him bad feedback...I have no … Aye, but you had the option of giving him bad feedback...I have no recourse to that or any other way of expressing my feelings regards the non transaction and practices of this seller on ebay.

Can sellers leave bad feedback anymore? I know they can't under most circumstances.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324
      3. Win a two day trip to Greenwich with VisitLondon22
      4. Win a VIP West End break with VisitLondon33

See more discussions