eBay money back

Found 8th Oct 2017
Hi I'm after a refund for a game I purchased off of eBay, it was a digital code for a game and it hasn't worked. eBay are saying I'm not covered by the money back guarantee but no where on the purchase page did it say that, in fact there was a logo saying otherwise

Where do I go from here? I've just appealed the case closure

Any advice would be really appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Well if eBay have closed the case saying you're not covered I don't think there's a whole lot more you can do apart from as you've already done, appealed the case and maybe contact eBay via phone. Digital purchases are such a grey area without much guidance on seller/buyer protection.
Digital codes not covered under eBay buyer protection

Its a live and learn scenario I'm afraid.
You bought a game via a digital code off EBay ? I have the address of a Nigerian prince who would love to speak to you
Edited by: "rogparki" 8th Oct 2017
rogparki9 m ago

You bought a game via a digital code off EBay ? I have the address of a …You bought a game via a digital code off EBay ? I have the address of a Nigerian prince who would love to speak to you

Purchased many codes before with no problem
As I understand it codes are not covered. I have bought live memberships from eBay in the past and all has been fine, arrived within ten mins, worked fine. I only would buy off a seller with a lot off feedback and obvs read their feedback before making a decision. You probably did this too. It's the risk you take I guess
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 8th Oct 2017
Hope you leave them a negative feedback to warn others , if they have good feedback they may ask for a feedback revision , this is where I'd ask for money back
Bradleigh10 m ago

Hope you leave them a negative feedback to warn others , if they have good …Hope you leave them a negative feedback to warn others , if they have good feedback they may ask for a feedback revision , this is where I'd ask for money back

It's been suspicious since as all the sellers listings have been removed from eBay which raised some concerns
LeahsMintytoutou12 m ago

As I understand it codes are not covered. I have bought live memberships …As I understand it codes are not covered. I have bought live memberships from eBay in the past and all has been fine, arrived within ten mins, worked fine. I only would buy off a seller with a lot off feedback and obvs read their feedback before making a decision. You probably did this too. It's the risk you take I guess

It doesn't state codes are excluded on the page when purchased, it shows the eBay protection logo saying protected
AaronK9616 m ago

It doesn't state codes are excluded on the page when purchased, it shows …It doesn't state codes are excluded on the page when purchased, it shows the eBay protection logo saying protected

I only use the app version on eBay so it may display differently but from what I see on the app the seller adds all the information to the listing and eBay just publishes it. What catagory was your listing in? I would have thought eBay wouldn't have a "codes" catagory. I'm pretty sure They just have video games. This will be because they don't like people selling codes. And they won't cover them.
AaronK9629 m ago

It's been suspicious since as all the sellers listings have been removed …It's been suspicious since as all the sellers listings have been removed from eBay which raised some concerns

Then. Would ring eBay and express your concerns that they were a scammer
You're all wrong, paypal do cover intangible goods

paypal.com/uk/…ate

Op, get onto paypal, you're entitled to your money back.
benjammin31615 m ago

You're all wrong, paypal do cover intangible …You're all wrong, paypal do cover intangible goodshttps://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/merchant-intangibles-updateOp, get onto paypal, you're entitled to your money back.

I paid by debit card through eBay. Thanks anyway though
Bradleigh28 m ago

Then. Would ring eBay and express your concerns that they were a scammer

Worth a try, will get onto them when I hear a response. Thank yoy
LeahsMintytoutou41 m ago

I only use the app version on eBay so it may display differently but from …I only use the app version on eBay so it may display differently but from what I see on the app the seller adds all the information to the listing and eBay just publishes it. What catagory was your listing in? I would have thought eBay wouldn't have a "codes" catagory. I'm pretty sure They just have video games. This will be because they don't like people selling codes. And they won't cover them.

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't the seller that said it's covered, it's on the eBay page under the item postage and PayPal logo
AaronK9617 m ago

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't the seller that said it's covered, it's …Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't the seller that said it's covered, it's on the eBay page under the item postage and PayPal logo

Yeah I see what your saying.. it's just the seller will have put the code in the catagory of "video games"and that will be why it said it covered because they are covered but codes aren't supposed/allowed to be sold on eBay so they won't cover it. I've just seen you said the sellers other items have all been removed now. This will be in your favour and even though they have ruled not in your favour before I think if you give them a call and explain they will probably give you your money back. I would hope they would anyway given they removed the sellers listings. Best of luck with it
LeahsMintytoutou5 m ago

Yeah I see what your saying.. it's just the seller will have put the code …Yeah I see what your saying.. it's just the seller will have put the code in the catagory of "video games"and that will be why it said it covered because they are covered but codes aren't supposed/allowed to be sold on eBay so they won't cover it. I've just seen you said the sellers other items have all been removed now. This will be in your favour and even though they have ruled not in your favour before I think if you give them a call and explain they will probably give you your money back. I would hope they would anyway given they removed the sellers listings. Best of luck with it

Thanks a lot, I'll wait and see what the response is to my appeal first. I'll update the thread with the eventual outcome incase anyone is interested
benjammin3161 h, 5 m ago

You're all wrong, paypal do cover intangible …You're all wrong, paypal do cover intangible goodshttps://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/merchant-intangibles-updateOp, get onto paypal, you're entitled to your money back.

Interesting - eBay haven''t yet made a similar update to their Money Back Guarantee, as best I can tell. There used to be double jeopardy provisions in PayPal's Buyer Protection terms (even after the separation of eBay and PayPal) covering the situation where a second claim was made, but I'm not sure that those are there any longer.
I had the same problem with a digital code that didn't work. Ebay wasn't interested as codes are not covered by their guarantee. Luckily PayPal refunded me as "a gesture of good will".
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants