Expired

Ebay Motors buyer from Poland

Found 18th Feb 2013
I put an ad on Ebay for my old car on Saturday and it was sold within minutes (£450). Turns out the buyer is Polish and I had a call from Poland - the "company" is going to pick it up on Saturday and pay me cash.
This sounds a bit dodgy to me.
Anyone had anything similar ?? Any good/bad stories to tell ?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
18 Comments
ahh these pesky Europeans...

just fill out the forms for ownership, if he is paying you cash there is really very little risk to yourself, the scam is when they pay by paypal then pick it up in person..

A counterfeit note checker pen would be a good investment, too.
Original Poster
Yes - I was wondering about that - how do they work ?? Don't you need a UV light as well ??
check that the cash isn't counterfeit and as usual fill in the forms asking for drivers details etc. Whatever you do DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL, BANK TRANSFER, OR A CHEQUE!

Pop down you local stationery store for a note pen
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 18th Feb 2013
guygreenwood

Yes - I was wondering about that - how do they work ?? Don't you need a … Yes - I was wondering about that - how do they work ?? Don't you need a UV light as well ??

Nope, randomly mark some (or all if you`re naturally suspicious) of the notes with the pen, if it stays clear or very light then it`s okay if it goes dark they`re dodgy.
Crowman

Nope, randomly mark some (or all if you`re naturally suspicious) of the … Nope, randomly mark some (or all if you`re naturally suspicious) of the notes with the pen, if it stays clear or very light then it`s okay if it goes dark they`re dodgy.

Id also advise meeting in a public place with a friend or two for "support" incase it goes wrong.
Crowman

A counterfeit note checker pen would be a good investment, too.

Or take him to your bank and pay the money he gives you straight into your bank account. At least if fake, the counter clerk will alert you.
Just thinking, if selling a car to someone not in the UK would be classed as exporting. Not sure how this works so speak to DVLA as they won't be able to send a new V5C if the vehicle is not in the UK.
Original Poster
Mmm - thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Regarding the export question - presumably that's not my problem as long as I fill in the V5 and send it off pronto.
Probably a Pole that has friends that live in the UK, not all foreigners are corrupt.
Last time I sold my car a polish guy won the auction but had feedback of only 1 on ebay and didn't make any sense when I called him so I emailed him explaining that due to poor amount of ebay feedback and value involved I was going to sell it to 2nd chance instead.

2nd chance showed up and was polish too - he bought the car on a Saturday and left on Monday for a 4000 mile trip round Europe!

I hope he made it I used to be worried I wouldn't get to work in it most days!

- edit - Oh I forgot the point of all that was that my 2nd chance person had over 100 feedback and made sense when I emailed and spoke to him so I got £20 less for the car but was much more confident in the transaction. If your unsure check out your 2nd highest bidder.
Edited by: "worto03" 18th Feb 2013
It should be fine my mother sold her car and it was a similair story. She went with her friend (male) and the men who met her were apparantly very nice and were telling her they buy alot of cheap cars here to take back to Poland.
Inactive

Probably a Pole that has friends that live in the UK, not all foreigners … Probably a Pole that has friends that live in the UK, not all foreigners are corrupt.

Nothing to do with where the guy`s from. I`d give the same advice given in this thread to anyone selling to a Brit, too.
Crowman

Nothing to do with where the guy`s from. I`d give the same advice given … Nothing to do with where the guy`s from. I`d give the same advice given in this thread to anyone selling to a Brit, too.

My comments were directed at the OP, not your good self.(_;)
Original Poster
Inactive

My comments were directed at the OP, not your good self.(_;)

I wasn't implying that all foreigners are corrupt - just that the fact that the person who won the auction was from Leicester, but the call I had was from Poland and they were talking about the company coming to collect the car - it just sounded dodgy.

Anyway, I've got my cash testing pen and am waiting for the call on Saturday.
Banned
guygreenwood

I wasn't implying that all foreigners are corrupt - just that the fact … I wasn't implying that all foreigners are corrupt - just that the fact that the person who won the auction was from Leicester

you were right to be worried
Original Poster
Just a quick update - they came and collected the car - paid cash in non-fake £20's and went on their way.

They bought 2 cars on ebay and came over from Poland with a van with a trailer. One of them drove the first car back and the second put car number 2 on the trailer and drove that back.

I was a bit confused about what to do with the V5 (logbook) but a quick call to DVLC informed me to give the buyer the whole thing and write to DVLA telling them all about it.

A problem free sale and my knackered old Seat Leon is now trundling around Poland !!.
Banned
guygreenwood

Just a quick update - they came and collected the car - paid cash in … Just a quick update - they came and collected the car - paid cash in non-fake £20's and went on their way.They bought 2 cars on ebay and came over from Poland with a van with a trailer. One of them drove the first car back and the second put car number 2 on the trailer and drove that back.I was a bit confused about what to do with the V5 (logbook) but a quick call to DVLC informed me to give the buyer the whole thing and write to DVLA telling them all about it.A problem free sale and my knackered old Seat Leon is now trundling around Poland !!.

Old bangers must be in high demand in poland if the guy came all the way from there to pick it up.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions