eBay or PayPal Seller Protection.

Posted 30th May
Hi,

I have just sold the most expensive thing I have sold on eBay and was just wondering if there is any actual protection for sellers as always hear of scammers on eBay and this item just would not sell locally easily.

What can I do to protect myself? I will send it tracked with compensation cover but still wary that if the buyer says box was empty etc. Then eBay will side with them and courier will say they delivered it so no compensation.

Buyer also only has 1 feedback and it was as a seller. I know everyone starts with zero feedback, as did I, so not holding that against them. But also no harm in exercising caution.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Only 1 feedback on an expensive item would ring alarm bells. Personally I would cancel the sale and relist tomorrow with a caveat of members with a feedback of less than x amount will not be entertained.
25 Comments
Simple answer, don’t sell,on eBay.
Sorry but that is the truth.
Only 1 feedback on an expensive item would ring alarm bells. Personally I would cancel the sale and relist tomorrow with a caveat of members with a feedback of less than x amount will not be entertained.
Toptrumpet30/05/2020 19:43

Only 1 feedback on an expensive item would ring alarm bells. Personally I …Only 1 feedback on an expensive item would ring alarm bells. Personally I would cancel the sale and relist tomorrow with a caveat of members with a feedback of less than x amount will not be entertained.

I did say no zero feedback bidders and this person slipped in last second bid with only 1 feedback. Annoying.
RYANdeals30/05/2020 19:46

I did say no zero feedback bidders and this person slipped in last second …I did say no zero feedback bidders and this person slipped in last second bid with only 1 feedback. Annoying.

I have a bad feeling but then again it’s upto you if your willing to risk it
abdul530/05/2020 19:51

I have a bad feeling but then again it’s upto you if your willing to risk i …I have a bad feeling but then again it’s upto you if your willing to risk it

I have never cancelled an order. Can I do this without any charges, repercussions etc?
As a buyer I use Paypal to buy lower priced items from unreliable companies I have no faith in (Wickes for example) to give that extra layer of protection.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 30th May
joyf453630/05/2020 19:54

As a buyer I use Paypal to buy lower priced items from unreliable …As a buyer I use Paypal to buy lower priced items from unreliable companies I have no faith in (Wickes for example) to give that extra layer or protection.

Yeah that is my concern. Most protections favour the buyer and nothing much for sellers. eBay will refund their final value fees, as long as the buyer is refunded but of course as a seller, you would only want to do this if receiving your item back which is not possible if the buyer claims parcel was empty scam.
RYANdeals30/05/2020 19:46

I did say no zero feedback bidders and this person slipped in last second …I did say no zero feedback bidders and this person slipped in last second bid with only 1 feedback. Annoying.

What can I do to protect myself?

Looks like you didn't do much. I put much higher amount of feedback required for expensive items. Plus I do collection only for expensive ones.
RYANdeals30/05/2020 19:52

I have never cancelled an order. Can I do this without any charges, …I have never cancelled an order. Can I do this without any charges, repercussions etc?

If you both agree I believe there's no charges. But even if they don't I'm sure chat is worth a try.
RYANdeals30/05/2020 19:52

I have never cancelled an order. Can I do this without any charges, …I have never cancelled an order. Can I do this without any charges, repercussions etc?

Maybe if you added 'no low feedback buyers' beforehand but maybe try asking eBay about your concerns.
PayPal will always side with the buyer. They forget they make money from the seller.
Cash on collection only, record the person collecting so you can give it to the police if needed.
Though the police don’t seem to care.
I have a dash cam video of someone running down 2 people, gave them my number and offered up video.
Been 6 months and no one has called for it.
I’ve had the scammers twice (I know I should have learned the first time) for a tv and a pair of trainers. Said the tv was damaged and took photos of an old one, other buyer replaced the trainers with a tatty old pair of converse. It’s put me off selling on eBay.

eBay and Paypal sided with the buyer and said I should have took photos of items as they were packaged and sealed. Maybe even in the post office.
x31mmm30/05/2020 20:27

I’ve had the scammers twice (I know I should have learned the first time) f …I’ve had the scammers twice (I know I should have learned the first time) for a tv and a pair of trainers. Said the tv was damaged and took photos of an old one, other buyer replaced the trainers with a tatty old pair of converse. It’s put me off selling on eBay. eBay and Paypal sided with the buyer and said I should have took photos of items as they were packaged and sealed. Maybe even in the post office.

There's really no way around it from the sellers perspective it seems.

Even if you recorded yourself packaging in the post office and handing it over in one sequence, the buyer would probably still be able to say that once recording was over, you asked for the parcel back and switched the trainers out.

Makes Ebay very frustrating to use. Have the largest audience to sell to but most risk.
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 30th May
Glad I spotted someone mention cancel order had someone win an item in Malaysia with 0 rating (been on ebay since Nov 19) lucky they've not paid yet
How expensive is expensive? And what type of item was it? People are more likely to try swindle you with electronics.
Asura30/05/2020 21:36

How expensive is expensive? And what type of item was it? People are more …How expensive is expensive? And what type of item was it? People are more likely to try swindle you with electronics.

It's a digital camera with a few accessories. Not crazy expensive but still, no one wants to give an item away for free.
DaveG4630/05/2020 20:42

Glad I spotted someone mention cancel order had someone win an item in …Glad I spotted someone mention cancel order had someone win an item in Malaysia with 0 rating (been on ebay since Nov 19) lucky they've not paid yet

I have blocked bidders with addresses outside UK.
bozo00730/05/2020 22:59

I have blocked bidders with addresses outside UK.

Ah didn't know you could do that, do you have to do it on each individual listing or is it a setting? think I made a rookie mistake and found a similar item that I wanted to list and clicked sell a similar item guess that had international on the listing (although did think I'd taken it off) did put uk only in the description but know that probably counts for nothing anyway. If it kicks off shall see what happens. Cheers
Edited by: "DaveG46" 30th May
I would cancel the order

first thing I do when selling expensive, is check buyers feedback
DaveG4630/05/2020 23:03

Ah didn't know you could do that, do you have to do it on each individual …Ah didn't know you could do that, do you have to do it on each individual listing or is it a setting? think I made a rookie mistake and found a similar item that I wanted to list and clicked sell a similar item guess that had international on the listing (although did think I'd taken it off) did put uk only in the description but know that probably counts for nothing anyway. If it kicks off shall see what happens. Cheers

It is a setting to block shipping addresses. You can change per listing as well if you want restrictions only on specific items.
Edited by: "bozo007" 31st May
bozo00731/05/2020 08:09

It is a setting to block shipping addresses. You can change per listing as …It is a setting to block shipping addresses. You can change per listing as well if you want restrictions only on specific items.

Cheers do have a route around and managed to find it
Mendoza31/05/2020 01:46

I would cancel the order first thing I do when selling expensive, is check …I would cancel the order first thing I do when selling expensive, is check buyers feedback

How does cancelling the order work with regards to eBay and PayPal fees?
RYANdeals31/05/2020 09:44

I can’t be certain, but I shouldn’t think there would be any

I have cancelled things in the past, but never thought to check fees

I know that PayPal take their fee immediately, and when a buyer is refunded, they put the fee back into the refund

but I’m not sure about eBay, I imagine if they were a corrupt company, they would still charge a person until the person contacted them
RYANdeals31/05/2020 09:44

Fees are reimbursed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants