Ebay PayPal Trouble

Found 9th Jul
Afternoon.

Just a quick questions about something I’m dealing with.

I sold an item on eBay with no returns accepted and free delivery.

Buyer contacted me and asking for tracking number.

Updated tracking number and sent via Parcelforce at an expense of £30.

Buyer refused delivery of item and item was returned to me.

Buyer did not contact for a refund.

I contacted buyer to no response.

Buyer opens a PayPal case a month later stating it was an unauthorised transaction and issues a chargeback.

PayPal say I’m covered under seller protection.

PayPal then email me again saying they’ve given the buyer a refund plus charged me a £14 chargeback fee.

In total I’m almost £50 out of pocket, not including my time, I’ve done absolutely everything right.

I feel it’s completely unjust and want to get your take on what I should do, I’m aware that buyer protection is lost when you refuse delivery of an item.

Any ideas?
Community Updates
AskPayPal
23 Comments
Yes. Contact eBay/Paypal.
artnada5 m ago

Yes. Contact eBay/Paypal.

I’ve sent PayPal an email referencing everything above, albeit in more detail. I’ll update when I get a response. I just want to know if anyone else has had this happen to them to be honest.
I think you might have some learning to do around eBay. This wasn’t a returned item from the buyer it was a failed delivery attempt, could’ve been anyone at the door who didn’t want to sign for the item. Also putting no returns on items means nothing, if a buyer wants to return an item they can simply get it returned as item not as described.

When you say buyer refused delivery, does it actually say this on tracking information or are you just thinking they refused delivery?

I would dispute it myself.

paypal.com/gb/…349

paypal.com/uk/…cks
jayonline854 m ago

I think you might have some learning to do around eBay. This wasn’t a r …I think you might have some learning to do around eBay. This wasn’t a returned item from the buyer it was a failed delivery attempt, could’ve been anyone at the door who didn’t want to sign for the item. Also putting no returns on items means nothing, if a buyer wants to return an item they can simply get it returned as item not as described.When you say buyer refused delivery, does it actually say this on tracking information or are you just thinking they refused delivery?I would dispute it myself. https://www.paypal.com/gb/smarthelp/article/why-does-paypal-charge-a-fee-when-i-receive-a-chargeback-faq1349https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/chargebacks

It wasn’t a failed delivery, I have written proof from Parcelforce that the item was refused at the door, no reason stated they just refused delivery, they didn’t even open the box.

I am disputing it with them currently.
BainzyA18 m ago

It wasn’t a failed delivery, I have written proof from Parcelforce that t …It wasn’t a failed delivery, I have written proof from Parcelforce that the item was refused at the door, no reason stated they just refused delivery, they didn’t even open the box.I am disputing it with them currently.

Maybe they’ve found a cheaper version of what you sold so they thought they would let it get returned and get a refund with no hassle. Not realising the time and disruption they have caused to yourself. Hope you get it sorted, atleast so you’re not out of pocket. The time is something you can never get back.
jayonline852 m ago

Maybe they’ve found a cheaper version of what you sold so they thought t …Maybe they’ve found a cheaper version of what you sold so they thought they would let it get returned and get a refund with no hassle. Not realising the time and disruption they have caused to yourself. Hope you get it sorted, atleast so you’re not out of pocket. The time is something you can never get back.

Yeah, it’s frustrating that this way of practice is acceptable.

If they don’t reimburse me to some extent I think I’ll stick to gumtree!

How can you get charged, for a chargeback when you’ve done nothing wrong, it’s ludicrous.
If they haven’t to the money out yet cancel direct debit and cards you use on PayPal till they sort it or just don’t pay it. also buyer had a contract with you so you could go down the route of small claims court to get your expenses back, if successful they would have to pay costs as well
Did you respond to the paypal chargeback? Or did you just contact paypal about it or read the T's & C's thinking you would win automatically?

My understanding is, if you do not upload any kind of proof of posting to paypal in a chargeback case you are charged (cant remember exact amount) £15. I had one, i did not send tracked, just standard 2nd class (before their new 2d barcode tracking) and paypal accepted the receipt as proof - I didn't get charged.

Also, what where you sending to warrant a £30 courier charge? The only time Ive spent that much to post something was a big box to USA.
Bargainhead17 m ago

If they haven’t to the money out yet cancel direct debit and cards you use …If they haven’t to the money out yet cancel direct debit and cards you use on PayPal till they sort it or just don’t pay it. also buyer had a contract with you so you could go down the route of small claims court to get your expenses back, if successful they would have to pay costs as well

I already had money in there so the money was deducted from available balance unfortunately. Yes I’ll think of that option.
splatsplatsplat4 m ago

Did you respond to the paypal chargeback? Or did you just contact paypal …Did you respond to the paypal chargeback? Or did you just contact paypal about it or read the T's & C's thinking you would win automatically?My understanding is, if you do not upload any kind of proof of posting to paypal in a chargeback case you are charged (cant remember exact amount) £15. I had one, i did not send tracked, just standard 2nd class (before their new 2d barcode tracking) and paypal accepted the receipt as proof - I didn't get charged.Also, what where you sending to warrant a £30 courier charge? The only time Ive spent that much to post something was a big box to USA.

I had proof of postage on PayPal, it showed the tracking number on the transaction.

I didn’t contact PayPal as they sent me the initial message saying I was under seller protection and nothing further was required. It’s only when they sent me the final email and closed the case on the same day they did the deduction.

It was a speaker weighing 20kg.
ceres25 m ago

You have done something wrong. You got the item back and you kept the …You have done something wrong. You got the item back and you kept the buyer's money. If you had refunded the buyer immediately you got the item back after deducting your postage cost, you wouldn't be where you are now.

I’ve done nothing wrong.

The buyer refused delivery, the item was automatically returned to my.

I sold the item no returns.

I then followed up with the buyer asking if their were issues with delivery etc and they didn’t reply.
deleted79467
ceres1 h, 12 m ago

If you really believe that getting your item back intact AND keeping the …If you really believe that getting your item back intact AND keeping the buyer's money is the right thing to do, then you deserve all you get.

not sure how you think the op did that as he states in first post

PayPal then email me again saying they’ve given the buyer a refund plus charged me a £14 chargeback fee.
Edited by: "deleted79467" 9th Jul
ceres12 m ago

If you really believe that getting your item back intact AND keeping the …If you really believe that getting your item back intact AND keeping the buyer's money is the right thing to do, then you deserve all you get.

Behave yourself, the refund I’m not bothered about, I expected it. However was waiting for the buyer to contact me or have some sort of discussion about what happened.

Instead, opening a case I am £30 out of pocket for postage and £14 for the chargeback fee. Something I think is highly inappropriate.
deleted794679th Jul

not sure how you think the op did that as he sates in first post PayPal …not sure how you think the op did that as he sates in first post PayPal then email me again saying they’ve given the buyer a refund plus charged me a £14 chargeback fee.

The £14 chargeback is most likely because the buyer has gone down the credit card route and it is because the credit card company has charged PayPal the £14. As above, had you refunded when you got the item back, the chargeback wouldn’t have been able to go ahead so the £14 wouldn’t have been able to have been charged.
'I sold an item on eBay with no returns accepted and free delivery.

Buyer contacted me and asking for tracking number.

Updated tracking number and sent via Parcelforce at an expense of £30.

Buyer refused delivery of item and item was returned to me.

Buyer did not contact for a refund.

I contacted buyer to no response.

Buyer opens a PayPal case a month later stating it was an unauthorised transaction and issues a chargeback.

PayPal say I’m covered under seller protection.

In total I’m almost £50 out of pocket, not including my time, I’ve done absolutely everything right.
'

You would be best to call PayPal to discuss this, the chargeback will have been applied automatically, and 'might' be reversed when you explain the situation to an advisor.

What is on your side is the messages you have sent the buyer, you may have to send them a copy of them (unsure if PayPal can still view eBay messages, they used to be able to) and the fact they asked for tracking details proves they were aware of the transaction prior to refusing the delivery.

Re 'no returns', this, as has been said, a waste of time, a buyer can return a purchase whether you state no returns or not.

I think you're wrong when you say you've done everything absolutely right, you held on to a buyers funds for a month, irrespective of the reason(s) for the return, not refunding after not getting a reply from the buyer is unacceptable IMO, how long were you going to wait before acting..?
You should have refunded once you got the item back and no response from the buyer.

I do find it weird that they ignored you and just did a chargeback but they probably didn't want to pay the postage fee and that was the only option for them to get every penny back.

You've been unlucky to get a timewaster like this.
Edited by: "hearts22" 9th Jul
What's the charge back fee for? I've given plenty of refunds and never received a chargeback fee I think
Edited by: "Norseg" 9th Jul
hearts2234 m ago

You should have refunded once you got the item back and no response from …You should have refunded once you got the item back and no response from the buyer.I do find it weird that they ignored you and just did a chargeback but they probably didn't want to pay the postage fee and that was the only option for them to get every penny back. You've been unlucky to get a timewaster like this.

It is a strange one because postage was free aswell. so probably would’ve been given a full refund anyway. Ebays a horrible place sometimes when things go wrong.
Folks - Got off the phone with paypal.

They refunded the chargeback fee and also covered postge, so thats a win!

However , I questioned why we were sent an email saying we were covered via seller protection, when 3 weeks later they settled in the buyers favour.

I stated that according to ebays terms and conditions if a buyer refuses delivery for no reason they forfeit their buyer protection, therefore technicall we are entitled to the full amount.

I believe the reason a buyer did a chargeback with the card issuer is because he know this, so stated it was an unauthorised purchase. The card issuer then stated that as the item was returned to me the money should be returned to the seller, which paypal then did leading to this situation.

Apparently buyer and seller protection are both forfeited when a chargeback is raised to a certain extent. Paypal classed the item as not delivered as the item was refused at the door, however I questioned this as it was delivered , they just refused it.

Alas I've raised a complaint to their executive team to try and get some answers.

Will update when they get back to me.

Thanks for everyones help.
Bargainhead17 h, 33 m ago

If they haven’t to the money out yet cancel direct debit and cards you use …If they haven’t to the money out yet cancel direct debit and cards you use on PayPal till they sort it or just don’t pay it. also buyer had a contract with you so you could go down the route of small claims court to get your expenses back, if successful they would have to pay costs as well

Ignore everything above as its nonsense
Paypal are an **** joke - how did you get through to someone on the phone - I only get an automated system that doesn't give me an option to speak to someone.

I've copied e-mails from them and e-bay that fill 6 pages of a word document that I want to publish on twitter to shame them for their shoddy service. I still haven't received a refund even though they said they would refund me.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 10th Jul
Bigfootpete9 h, 7 m ago

Paypal are an **** joke - how did you get through to someone on the phone …Paypal are an **** joke - how did you get through to someone on the phone - I only get an automated system that doesn't give me an option to speak to someone.I've copied e-mails from them and e-bay that fill 6 pages of a word document that I want to publish on twitter to shame them for their shoddy service. I still haven't received a refund even though they said they would refund me.

I just called them? There’s a number on the help page and say you want to speak to someone
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 10th Jul
ceres14 h, 2 m ago

The OP kept the buyer's money for a month after he got the item back. The …The OP kept the buyer's money for a month after he got the item back. The buyer opened a case and Paypal gave the buyer his money back from the OP's account. Because the OP forced the buyer into using chargeback to get their money back, in accordance with Paypal's T&C the OP was charged a fee by Paypal.It all could have been avoided. The OP held all the cards until he didn't refund the buyer immediately minus the cost of posting. The buyer rejecting the goods without opening them and inspecting them meant he could not claim for Damaged or Not As Described so his only reason for rejecting was that he changed his mind. That gave the OP the justification to deduct the postage cost from the refund as a private seller not accepting returns. Withholding the refund after he got the item back makes the OP look like the scammer and puts the buyer on the moral high ground.

I didn’t force him to do anything, we had no contact at all for over a month until they did a chargeback.

If they wanted their money they should of asked for it, but I wasn’t going out of my way again for this time waster.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants