Expired

Ebay postage to be protected

Found 19th Nov 2017
Hey been away from ebay for a bit but getting rid of stuff with the £1 offer. What does the postage have to be to be 100% protected in the event of a claim by a buyer? I remember sending games by royal mail and even the Proof of postage wouldn't be enough to prove it was received by the buyer.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Hi it must be posted via recorded delivery (with tracking number).
csmcr1 m ago

Plus you have to double check if address is same as paypal address. If it's not it's not protected either.
csmcr4 m ago

recorded, as in signed delivery?
I’m just using eBay post label creation & choose recorded delivery option. Everything done through eBay so don’t have to worry about entering tracking no or missing correct delivery address.
Edited by: "Bigspin" 19th Nov 2017
ukting5 m ago

recorded, as in signed delivery?

Yes
Bigspin6 m ago

Yes

brilliant so, no need for fully tracked services like My hermes?
Proof of posting is enough for items under £20. I got my money back when my parcel got lost. I had to fill in some of forms from PO and send them a copy of my receipt.
csmcr20 m ago

It doesn't need to be Signed For (Recorded delivery hasn't existed for some time). It only needs to have online tracking to be covered, unless it's over £750 in which case it requires a signature as well.

OP, have a look at Royal Mail click and drop, you can generate a POD (proof of delivery) which is all you need for eBay and Paypal tracking. You can also generate the QR code to your mobile and get RM to print the barcoded label for you. royalmail.com/lab…ogo

Failing that one of the carrier agents and look at the couriers with tracking.
Edited by: "windym" 19th Nov 2017
As a general rule, when selling on eBay I use ;

<£20 - 1st class Royal Mail

>£20 - 1st Class RM signed for, or Parcelforce 48hr if parcel is heavy/large as this option is usually cheaper.

But, bear in mind, regardless of the method of posting, your claim in the event of a lost parcel is against the carrier YOU have chosen, not eBay/PayPal/buyer, for this reason I stick with Royal Mail or Parcelforce, much easier claim process than some of the cheaper carriers.
I'm finding eBay is getting more risky for sellers, there is so much protection for buyer's now and they full well know this and I think many buyers are taking advantage, I was starting to have to give quite a few refunds and starting to lose out and make it not worth selling anymore. I now only well items on sphock, it's totally free with no chargers, easy listing of your items with nice clear images, buyer's come to you or meet and can see what there buying so no arguing later, and your receiving cash. Only think I do advised on there is some buyers will ask if you will ship the item and they will pay through PayPal, just refuse as soon enough there will be a local buyer with cash. It is also a great place to pick up a few bargains locally. I know gumtree can be ok but sphock is much more user friendly.

32475798-Ctd62.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 19th Nov 2017
I worked for ebay seller for 2y. Everything <£10 was sent with tracking number. You have no idea how many Item Not Received cases are opened.. every second item sent not tracked is claimed as INR! And yes you can see who is doing same time, we kept reporting to ebay, plus with other sellers - eBay did not care.
csmcr2 m ago

I worked for ebay seller for 2y. Everything <£10 was sent with tracking …I worked for ebay seller for 2y. Everything <£10 was sent with tracking number. You have no idea how many Item Not Received cases are opened.. every second item sent not tracked is claimed as INR! And yes you can see who is doing same time, we kept reporting to ebay, plus with other sellers - eBay did not care.

so what do i do, just signed deliver everything or use my hermes or what? Like what will win me 100% of the time?
ukting19 h, 9 m ago

so what do i do, just signed deliver everything or use my hermes or what? …so what do i do, just signed deliver everything or use my hermes or what? Like what will win me 100% of the time?

If, as a seller, you can't prove that the item was delivered and the buyer raises a non received claim, they will win every time.

IF you have sent the item via a 'recorded' or 'signed for' service and the carrier doesn't provide proof of delivery and the buyer raises a non received claim, they will win, and you have to claim against the carrier.

As per my comment previous, anything over £20 I send via Royal Mail signed for, or Parcelforce, both these are trackable online and require a signature on delivery.
Over and above that, I clearly mark the parcel ; 'parcel MUST be signed for at delivery address'.

This, mostly, helps and reminds the carrier that they should do there job and get a signature, oir leave a postcard for the recipient to collect from a sorting office.
As a general rule, when selling on eBay I use ;

<£20 - 2nd class Royal Mail

>£20 - 2nd Class RM signed for, £3.90 upto 2KG, think shoe size box, any bigger myhermes/collectplus or Medium RM parcel £5.60

ps. no such thing as 1st / 2nd class, except at christmas. when 2nd class may be delayed at priority of 1st
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions