EBay pulling out of Quidco

Found 16th Jan 2013
Hi,

We see that you have been a regular shopper with eBay via your Quidco account and that you have enjoyed their cashback offers.

Sadly, we're writing to advise you that eBay have decided to withdraw from the cashback market altogether and after 31st January 2013 all eBay stores will disappear from our site.

We're sorry for the disappointment that we know this will cause, but please be assured that we will continue to work hard to bring you more great offers, deals, products and retailers, as we are here to help you save money on almost everything you buy.

You can still purchase up until the end of January, sales will be processed/paid as normal.

eBay would like to take this opportunity to thank all Quidco members for their loyal support.

Thank you for continuing to use Quidco.

Kind regards,

Julie Wells, Customer Care Operations Manager
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
Original Poster
yep i wont hardly receive any cash back now lol
Yup just got the mail too
Bit rubbish - I spend a fair bit on it too
Do people still use Quidco??

If so? Why?
because they now pay nectar points instead it was bound to happen
eBay must be struggling charging 10% on every sale for not doing much more than hosting a large train wreck.
Chiptivo

Do people still use Quidco??If so? Why?

i use topcashback but why wouldn't people use quidco?
TBH i use both for reasons that sometimes they vary with the amount of cashback given. On a recent RAC purchase quidco paid £10 more, so was more beneficial (taking into account the £5 charge) which meant £5 profit over TCB.
Banned
It's a sign eBay are going into administration..

..one could hope
Squelds

TBH i use both for reasons that sometimes they vary with the amount of … TBH i use both for reasons that sometimes they vary with the amount of cashback given. On a recent RAC purchase quidco paid £10 more, so was more beneficial (taking into account the £5 charge) which meant £5 profit over TCB.

TCB pricematch it.
aircanman

eBay must be struggling charging 10% on every sale for not doing much … eBay must be struggling charging 10% on every sale for not doing much more than hosting a large train wreck.

Ebay are reported to not be making a profit but it drives there sales on Paypal, which they make a healthy profit on, so they need to keep Ebay open.

I think Ebay is great and I've saved quite a lot of money on there while I've made some in the past too.
How many ways do you know that you can guarantee a sale for just 10% commission with little effort?
Edited by: "realfriendlyman" 16th Jan 2013
Think they're stopping TCB too, i sem to recall an eamil about a month ago, or maybe i dream't it.
DAMNIT just got £40 through tcb & ebay as well

. I suppose they would rather give nectar points....
got email too. aww man gonna really miss them 4p 6p returns

did search to see of TCB doing so guess no point in using that then. what are nectar points and are they worth using.

Sol
realfriendlyman

Ebay are reported to not be making a profit but it drives there sales on … Ebay are reported to not be making a profit but it drives there sales on Paypal, which they make a healthy profit on, so they need to keep Ebay open.I think Ebay is great and I've saved quite a lot of money on there while I've made some in the past too.How many ways do you know that you can guarantee a sale for just 10% commission with little effort?

I am sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there, you are right, there is no other site which guarantees a sale for 10% commission, but considering you have to do all the work to create the auction, make sure you spend the right amount of money on postage, and then when it all goes tits up have to pay out of your own pocket in the end anyway, ebay make a lot of money for minimum effort on their part, plus dont believe their figures, they are a massive company making massive profits.
Banned
realfriendlyman

Ebay are reported to not be making a profit but it drives there sales on … Ebay are reported to not be making a profit but it drives there sales on Paypal, which they make a healthy profit on, so they need to keep Ebay open.I think Ebay is great and I've saved quite a lot of money on there while I've made some in the past too.How many ways do you know that you can guarantee a sale for just 10% commission with little effort?

eBay is making thousands a day on insertion fees and final value fees alone, not to mention the % PayPal take from each sale, who eBay own.

My **** they aren't making a profit.
Squelds

TBH i use both for reasons that sometimes they vary with the amount of … TBH i use both for reasons that sometimes they vary with the amount of cashback given. On a recent RAC purchase quidco paid £10 more, so was more beneficial (taking into account the £5 charge) which meant £5 profit over TCB.

and they do blockbusters cashback at the mo, which top cashback do not, i currently have £7 sitting in my quidco account from blockys
thequid89

eBay is making thousands a day on insertion fees and final value fees … eBay is making thousands a day on insertion fees and final value fees alone, not to mention the % PayPal take from each sale, who eBay own.My **** they aren't making a profit.

Like I said, they're making healthy profits from Paypal but that's a separate section, from Ebay itself, they're not in a healthy position at all.
Yes they do bring in very good revenue but when you bare in mind they pay 39% (previously 52%) in commission to affiliate sites plus £100's to be a part of the scheme, plus the TV advertising costs, maintenance, programmers, servers, staff to handle issues (most of the staff don't even know what they're doing though), call centres, offices etc, it all adds up.
aircanman

I am sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there, … I am sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there, you are right, there is no other site which guarantees a sale for 10% commission, but considering you have to do all the work to create the auction, make sure you spend the right amount of money on postage, and then when it all goes tits up have to pay out of your own pocket in the end anyway, ebay make a lot of money for minimum effort on their part, plus dont believe their figures, they are a massive company making massive profits.

They are an advertising portal, they advertise themselves and spend millions in doing so and then offer small businesses guaranteed revenue.
If it was so simple, why has no one been able to overtake Ebay, as many have tried but they've all failed.

Even this site, you could argue that the Admin doesn't do anything, the members do all the work but site maintenance, programmers, mods, big servers, SEO marketing etc all cost money, so HUKD are making a nice chunk of change, which you may think aren't doing much but they are working on their own site.

Trust me, a lot of businesses are in major debt and struggling, even Groupon are bringing in approximately £70m per month but are making around £30m loss per month because of other issues but without looking into it, you would assume they're making crazy money when they're charging merchants 50% commission for 1 day of advertising.
Banned
realfriendlyman

Like I said, they're making healthy profits from Paypal but that's a … Like I said, they're making healthy profits from Paypal but that's a separate section, from Ebay itself, they're not in a healthy position at all.Yes they do bring in very good revenue but when you bare in mind they pay 39% (previously 52%) in commission to affiliate sites plus £100's to be a part of the scheme, plus the TV advertising costs, maintenance, programmers, servers, staff to handle issues (most of the staff don't even know what they're doing though), call centres, offices etc, it all adds up.

eBay is currently worth around $64 billion, the amount of profit they're bringing in heavily outweighs what they're spending no matter how much it is. They're making a hell of a lot more than they let on.
Edited by: "thequid89" 16th Jan 2013
Likely to do with their deal with Nectar.
realfriendlyman

Like I said, they're making healthy profits from Paypal but that's a … Like I said, they're making healthy profits from Paypal but that's a separate section, from Ebay itself, they're not in a healthy position at all.Yes they do bring in very good revenue but when you bare in mind they pay 39% (previously 52%) in commission to affiliate sites plus £100's to be a part of the scheme, plus the TV advertising costs, maintenance, programmers, servers, staff to handle issues (most of the staff don't even know what they're doing though), call centres, offices etc, it all adds up.

Not according to BBC news bbc.co.uk/new…409
Said goodbye to eBay TCB cashback last night on a transaction for some PC components :(.

Can't believe it but in my 2 years with TCB, I've accrued £42 cashback through eBay purchases. Going to miss it!
I don't believe ebay are not making a profit. They are essentially making money from server space and bandwidth. As well as the fee's they get from 99% of transactions that occur without the need to intervene. They advertise IN my auctions that I pay for. (I'd love to stick my nose in Sainsburys/Tesco's websites when someone is just about to purchase an item there)

If they can't make profit from any of that then they either must all be driving around in gold plated Ferraris or they really are a bunch of chimps who use £20 notes to wipe their a***
realfriendlyman

Actually, eBay are making huge profits.
Whether they are running the UK arm at a loss - to make use of the same loophole as Starbucks, Google, Amazon etc, I don't know and am too busy at the mo to go look
Ebay also pulled out of mirror cachback too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions