Ebay - Purchasing Item Via Courier Best Payment Method

Found 25th FebEdited by:"CarbonUK"
Hi, an item I am very interested in buying is located on the isle of wight. As a result I cannot collect so I decided to message the seller to see if was possible for a courier to pick it up from their door and they said it was fine but, that their PayPal doesn't work and that I would have to somehow give them the cash and then let the courier pick it up or pay by bank transfer.

The problem with bank transfer is that if the item is fake or damaged then there is nothing I can do and its price is about £300.

Are there any alternate ways to pay maybe a different trusted service or a courier that can take the cash?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edit: Do you think google wallet (google pay send) is a good option?
Also the listing was set to cash on collection, collection only I just messaged in the hope I could make an arrangement.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Their PayPal doesn't work?
About the only reason it won't work Is if they have been banned. You would have no comeback if you got stung unless they are a business and you pay by credit card.
Ask them to make a new one. It's free to do so what is the problem?
Original Poster
hearts2210 m ago

Ask them to make a new one. It's free to do so what is the problem?

He said that he is unable to add his bank card.

Here is his full message:
'Hi pal I cant take PayPal payments at the moment due to a issue there side
with adding my bank account that's why I have put it as cash on collection
only if you want me to I can relist it as if postage was needed you would
either need to get a courier to collect the item like parcel force etc and
bring me the cash at the sane time otherwise would need to be paid to my
bank or something if you wanted it posting'
I'd leave it alone if you don't want to take the chance. The usual couriers aren't going to collect cash from you and drop it in at the sellers. Plus it's no safer than bank transfer.

If you don't want to risk bank transfer or similar it's better to be safe than sorry.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 25th Feb
CarbonUK57 m ago

He said that he is unable to add his bank card. Here is his full …He said that he is unable to add his bank card. Here is his full message:'Hi pal I cant take PayPal payments at the moment due to a issue there sidewith adding my bank account that's why I have put it as cash on collectiononly if you want me to I can relist it as if postage was needed you wouldeither need to get a courier to collect the item like parcel force etc andbring me the cash at the sane time otherwise would need to be paid to mybank or something if you wanted it posting'

He doesn't need to add a bank account to receive payments. My partner doesn't have one in his account atm and can receive payments just fine.

I don't think any courier would pay on your behalf...
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Feb
Walk away, in fact run.
depends what it is, at £300 I cant imagine a good way to do this and would recommend buying else where but for future reference if you're buying a car or a bike there are dedicated couriers who will not only pick it up, but also take payment (or phone you and say its ok to make the payment) once they have inspected the vehicle, that said if they turn around and say it's ******** then you still have to pay the courier ofcourse
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 25th Feb
I agree with all the above. No PayPal, no sale I'm afraid!
Avoid. Nightmare waiting to happen.
Unless it’s something you can’t find anywhere else, and you need it, I’d walk away.
Original Poster
Alright thanks for the advice people
Walk unless you can go there in person.
What exactly is it . I wouldn't bother until his paypal is fixed tell him u can wait until it gets fixed and I'm assuming it's something big and bulky otherwise he could have used rm for same postage as uk anyway.
From what you've put, you have more protection than the seller.

If a buyer collects from a seller and pays via Paypal, Bank Transfer etc the seller has no eBay/Paypal seller protection whatsoever, he's leaving himself wide open for a non-receipt claim and/or chargeback.

When a buyer collects, the only way the seller is protected is if it cash on collection.
CarbonUK10 h, 58 m ago

He said that he is unable to add his bank card. Here is his full …He said that he is unable to add his bank card. Here is his full message:'Hi pal I cant take PayPal payments at the moment due to a issue there sidewith adding my bank account that's why I have put it as cash on collectiononly if you want me to I can relist it as if postage was needed you wouldeither need to get a courier to collect the item like parcel force etc andbring me the cash at the sane time otherwise would need to be paid to mybank or something if you wanted it posting'

I know you've made your decision, but that many spelling mistakes would be a no brainer for me.....
Leg it
Yes u can if its fake or doesn't arrive ring your bank and open a visa dispute
Its a very common scam to list things at bargain prices in out of the way places (shetland/isle of wight) and get people to do a bank xfr.

Tell him you have a mate on the island and ask if he can collect for you. Bet he is suddenly unable to sell it to you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants