eBay query

Edited by:"Quicklite"Found 12th Oct 2017
Hi guys,
Quick query. Sold a high-end graphics card - trying to game less now . Sent it to the buyer's correct eBay checkout address in a large box, via insured posts via DPD local / it was signed by the neighbor (delivery Tuesday) - I messaged the buyer this on Tuesday about the neighbor update. The buyer has suggested cancelling the order today, as they've not received it. I was a bit surprised.

Now the twist: eBay has given me a checkout address, which I sent to (as per rules). However, the buyer opened a non-received request: they thought it was delivered to their eBay registered address (a few miles away / turns out the address they expected the item at, was their eBay registered address/old address, but this was not selected on eBay as the checkout address / so I didn't send to the wrong place, so as to speak). It would seem they've selected wrong delivery address at the checkout.

I'll give eBay a call in the morning to sort it out. It's slightly tricky. In terms of going forward - keen to be proactive. Given that eBay/PP will probably be forced to refund unless I recover the item otherwise - is it logical for me to see if the buyer can retrieve & return it to me first; secondly as contingency, pop a recorded post into the address tomorrow, to the people who signed it to get in contact with me. If not see if my friend can pop by the address after work this week, grab the item (with a letter from me proving the address, etc - as to resolve this? (pretty lucky it's a London address so got friends living there - though it's a bit of a tricky mix-up.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

you have proof that it was delivered to the address sent by the buyer (ok a neighbour but that's irrelevant)

it's not your fault and it's down to the buyer to go and get it, upload the tracking to PayPal

once PayPal see that it was delivered to the address given, they should side with you and close the case

I'd also throw in a message to the buyer mentioning attempted mail fraud or something if I was 100% sure it was their fault but that's just me
18 Comments

Sounds a mess, get on live chat or ring ebay and explain as it should be straight forward to sort out

Original Poster

kickinkez26 m ago

Sounds a mess, get on live chat or ring ebay and explain as it should be …Sounds a mess, get on live chat or ring ebay and explain as it should be straight forward to sort out

Thanks will do. DPD does have return parcel function - and friend seems to be 50mins London underground away. Ahh what an interesting experience.
Edited by: "Quicklite" 12th Oct 2017

you have proof that it was delivered to the address sent by the buyer (ok a neighbour but that's irrelevant)

it's not your fault and it's down to the buyer to go and get it, upload the tracking to PayPal

once PayPal see that it was delivered to the address given, they should side with you and close the case

I'd also throw in a message to the buyer mentioning attempted mail fraud or something if I was 100% sure it was their fault but that's just me

dataload2 h, 37 m ago

you have proof that it was delivered to the address sent by the buyer (ok …you have proof that it was delivered to the address sent by the buyer (ok a neighbour but that's irrelevant)it's not your fault and it's down to the buyer to go and get it, upload the tracking to PayPalonce PayPal see that it was delivered to the address given, they should side with you and close the caseI'd also throw in a message to the buyer mentioning attempted mail fraud or something if I was 100% sure it was their fault but that's just me

Lol

What area is this in or postcode?

Is the address you sent it to the registered PayPal address? That's what counts for seller protection.
If you sent it to that address you won't lose a case if you've got a tracking number as well.

Surely they can go pick it up from the address it was delivered to themselves seeing as its their fault. Unless they are trying to get a free Graphics card as saying not received when they have already gone to pick it up.

Honestly stop using ebay, its the wild west now, sell on local groups on facebook. No Fees and cash in hand

jimhuf43 m ago

Honestly stop using ebay, its the wild west now, sell on local groups on …Honestly stop using ebay, its the wild west now, sell on local groups on facebook. No Fees and cash in hand

this to be honest, with medium to high value items especially

jimhuf11 h, 11 m ago

Honestly stop using ebay, its the wild west now, sell on local groups on …Honestly stop using ebay, its the wild west now, sell on local groups on facebook. No Fees and cash in hand

And allow the chav's to case your home if you let them indoors

gibblesuk1 h, 34 m ago

And allow the chav's to case your home if you let them indoors

for me anything I sell from home is usually put in my boot ready, unless it wont fit obviously

I then make sure I'm waiting around outside for them, they don't get the chance to ring the bell, knock or hang around

they see nothing more than someone walking past would

Original Poster

Oh plot twists again:
Wrote a recorded letter to the neighbour which arrived today. Got a call straightaway back from the neighbour kindly.

They kindly said the buyer picked up the parcel the same day earlier in the week. Good of them to call back.

Just got off the phone with eBay. I hardly believe this. I'm osing faith in humanity I think.

emodan13th Oct

Surely they can go pick it up from the address it was delivered to …Surely they can go pick it up from the address it was delivered to themselves seeing as its their fault. Unless they are trying to get a free Graphics card as saying not received when they have already gone to pick it up.

Edited by: "Quicklite" 14th Oct 2017

Quicklite3 m ago

Oh plot twists again:Wrote a recorded letter to the neighbour which …Oh plot twists again:Wrote a recorded letter to the neighbour which arrived today. Got a call straightaway back from the neighbour kindly. Losing faith in humanity I think.They kindly said the buyer picked up the parcel the same day earlier in the week. Good of them to call back.Just got off the phone with eBay. I hardly believe this.

So they are trying to claim a free graphics card. I hate these kind of scammers puts me off ebay so much so that I end up selling all my old pc stuff to cex despite getting less money

Original Poster

emodan3 h, 12 m ago

So they are trying to claim a free graphics card. I hate these kind of …So they are trying to claim a free graphics card. I hate these kind of scammers puts me off ebay so much so that I end up selling all my old pc stuff to cex despite getting less money

Yep. it's a bit unbelievable. At least now one knows what happened, and well I've improved my letter writing skills.
I'll need to see if the courier could perhaps have the discretion to not automatically leave the parcel with neighbour next time on pricey items (unless requested). I guess majority of buyers are decent people - so removing the option actually creates inconvenience.
emodan3 h, 12 m ago

So they are trying to claim a free graphics card. I hate these kind of …So they are trying to claim a free graphics card. I hate these kind of scammers puts me off ebay so much so that I end up selling all my old pc stuff to cex despite getting less money

Edited by: "Quicklite" 14th Oct 2017

thats fraud,inform dpd they might take action,and he/she wont do it to someone else

tell them you have proof that they picked up the item, a witness etc and that you'll be reporting them to the police for fraud if they don't cancel the dispute

take no BS and make sure you scare the poop out of them

Report the buyer to ebay

Original Poster

Just a good update: eBay has sided with me and closed the open request (buyer still has the paypal route in theory - though I doubt it's in their interest to go there). Ahh. Note to self, use Gumtree next time, even if you get a bit less, helping a local buyer is less trouble potentially. Thanks very much people above who has helped - your replies definitely has helped one to stay sane, and keep things in perspective.
Edited by: "Quicklite" 19th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text