EBay query

Found 4th Aug
hi all,
my partner has sold and item on eBay. it started at £12. with no bids she was offered £19 and accepted.
The buyer has paid via PayPal, so far so good.
PayPal has emailed my partner stated that the money has been held for up to 21 days at ebays request.

Does anybody know why ebay would do this andis this something to be concerned about?

my partner has been an eBay member for years and has sold maybe 15-20 items in that time. Always used PayPal, never had an issue, never poor feedback.

Is it ok for me to post the item with this money held?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
15-20 items sold on eBay is very few considering they’ve been a member for years. PayPal will release money once buyer leaves you feedback or 21 days. Whichever is sooner.
Edited by: "Simba92" 4th Aug
Simba9211 m ago

15-20 items sold on eBay is very few considering they’ve been a member for …15-20 items sold on eBay is very few considering they’ve been a member for years. PayPal will release money once buyer leaves you feedback or 21 days. Whichever is sooner.

Thanks. I know she isn't a huge user but 4 items have been sold in the last 3 weeks so was wondering why now.
Thanks for the reply.
If you haven't sold for a while the 21 day hold is normal. The funds will be released either on delivery (proof of online tracking) or from the feedback given by the buyer, or on the 21 days.

Send as normal, add any tracking if you have it and keep the buyer updated, hopefully they will leave feedback to release the funds, if not then you have to wait.
You have to remember that paypal is a part of eScam and eScam is only there to make money

Your partner has effectively 'lent' the money to Payscam at 0% interest. True, its only a few quid. But multiply that by 10s of millions and you have ......... a bank. And they can lend the money on Payday terms (i.e. 000s of percent interest)

How do banks work? In very broad simple terms; You pay in £100. They reckon you wont take that £100 out for a few months but theyhave to keep 10% as liquid cash. That leaves £90 to lend at a shocking interest rate. And why lend it once when you can lend it 2 or 3 or 4 times?

But its a bit more detailed than that. It isn't really the £90 cash that matters when it comes to the bank deciding how much to lend. Its the repayments each month from customers that is paid back to you that dictates how much they lend. And so your £100 can turn into £100,000 of money lent out to borrowers so long as the bank gets enough monthly repayments to cover the payment to you and the risk of failure.

That's where Credit Ratings come in. Have a score of 999 and the bank reckons you will pay every month. Have a score of 500 and (very simplistically) they reckon you will miss half your payments.

Its the financial equivalent of the plate spinning acts you used to see on Variety shows. It works fine as long as it works. But when one plate crashes, another isn't usually far behind.

And that's where our economy is right now folks. Some of the plates are getting very wobbly
Nothing to do with ebay at all. I assume she must have dealt outside of eBay to accept a £19 offer when the auction was only at £12.

Do not post anything until cleared or refund and state PayPal gift only.
This happened to me, as soon as the buyer confirms receipt via positive feedback, or a confirmation message through eBay message, eBay can release the funds manually too. All you have to do is contact them and they'll release it within 24 hours.

I'd send it via eBay Shutl delivery, best option as tracking is then auto-uploaded and you can make all lost/damaged claims via live chat (who send you a Google Form, once filled in the money will be sent to you via PayPal).
Edited by: "jamie015" 4th Aug
chocci20 m ago

Nothing to do with ebay at all. I assume she must have dealt outside of …Nothing to do with ebay at all. I assume she must have dealt outside of eBay to accept a £19 offer when the auction was only at £12.Do not post anything until cleared or refund and state PayPal gift only.

If the OP doesn't post, the money will never be released.

It is a Paypal hold.

paypal.com/gb/…236
Some items are considered high risk as far as fraud goes. You also get your funds held temporarily if you're a new seller or a seller with not enough history of positive transactions. This is to make sure there is money to refund the buyer in case of a claim.

The buyer has paid so post asap. It's PayPal holding the funds.
You'll get your money quicker if you send tracked and tracking shows delivered and the buyer leaves positive feedback.
Happened to me at the beginning of my selling activity and it's nothing dodgy.
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th Aug
I find that even if you don't post with signature etc, simply putting the proof of postage stops some folks claiming its not arrived etc. I suppose it depends what you sell. I have sold hundreds of things and only ever had 3 not show up at buyer's address.

Id post too. Its up to you if you want signed for etc.
chocci3 h, 36 m ago

Nothing to do with ebay at all. I assume she must have dealt outside of …Nothing to do with ebay at all. I assume she must have dealt outside of eBay to accept a £19 offer when the auction was only at £12.Do not post anything until cleared or refund and state PayPal gift only.

You can now list an item as auction but also offers. As soon as bidding starts offers drops off the table. Before that people can offer a price, that then confirms a sale.
Allows sellers to sell quickly if an item is offered an acceptable price. All within the eBay ecosystem.
I find it far easier to sell on sphock now and only accept cash on collection, very easy to list items quickly, totally free to sell on there and no eBay and PayPal fees, no hassle of refunds when buyers try it on knowing eBay and PayPal always side with the buyer, and no more packing parcels and paying royal mail's rip of prices.

34605631-7Dnhk.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 5th Aug
SOUTHWALES8 m ago

I find it far easier to sell on sphock now and only accept cash on …I find it far easier to sell on sphock now and only accept cash on collection, totally free to sell on there and no eBay and PayPal fees, no hassle of refunds when buyers try it on knowing eBay and PayPal always side with the buyer, and no more packing parcels and paying royal mail's rip of prices.

Shpock is good for electronics, but it's harder when you are selling more obscure items as it's harder to find a buyer.

I listed an item on Shpock, took days to get any interest and I was given a low offer. Listed it on eBay with £3 FVF and it sold on the same day. I split my selling between the two, tend to put bulky/hard to post and expensive items on Shpock, but some items on eBay that sell for higher on there (with the £1/£3 FVF promos).

One of the best things on eBay is Shutl delivery, I strongly recommend giving it a try over Royal Mail!
Edited by: "jamie015" 5th Aug
jamie01513 m ago

Shpock is good for electronics, but it's harder when you are selling more …Shpock is good for electronics, but it's harder when you are selling more obscure items as it's harder to find a buyer.I listed an item on Shpock, took days to get any interest and I was given a low offer. Listed it on eBay with £3 FVF and it sold on the same day. I split my selling between the two, tend to put bulky/hard to post and expensive items on Shpock, but some items on eBay that sell for higher on there (with the £1/£3 FVF promos).One of the best things on eBay is Shutl delivery, I strongly recommend giving it a try over Royal Mail!

I take your point but as I am never in a rush to sell I am happy to wait till a buyer does come along with a sensible offer. You just ignore any silly offers. I am getting just as much for my items as I would on eBay without having to pay any fees, if you are in a rush to sell then yes maybe eBay does sometimes find you a buyer more quickly, I just don't take the risk with eBay any more and have not sold on there since 2014.
SOUTHWALES4 m ago

I take your point but as I am never in a rush to sell I am happy to wait …I take your point but as I am never in a rush to sell I am happy to wait till a buyer does come along with a sensible offer. You just ignore any silly offers. I am getting just as much for my items as I would on eBay without having to pay any fees, if you are in a rush to sell then yes maybe eBay does sometimes find you a buyer more quickly, I just don't take the risk with eBay any more and have not sold on there since 2014.

I agree it takes time to find a good buyer on Shpock and they often do turn up after waiting a while. I was trying to sell my Xbox One S + FIFA 17 on Shpock and I had people offering me £100, but eventually a buyer offered me £140.

However, I had some less popular items that nobody was interested in on Shpock, even at a really cheap price. Listed on eBay for a higher price to cover fees/postage and I found a buyer the next day.
Apologies for not interacting. Had a few beers down t' local. @ccnp nice rant. Pretty much went on and on like I do lol.
Thanks every one for the comments they've put my concerns to rest
Oneday775 h, 48 m ago

You can now list an item as auction but also offers. As soon as bidding …You can now list an item as auction but also offers. As soon as bidding starts offers drops off the table. Before that people can offer a price, that then confirms a sale. Allows sellers to sell quickly if an item is offered an acceptable price. All within the eBay ecosystem.

Thanks for clarification
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants