eBay question?

Found 10th Feb
Hi guys,

So someone bought something quite expensive off me on eBay the seller has no feedback at all isit safe to send? Since buyers have far more protection than us sellers. I understand that everyone has to start from zilch when opening a eBay account but should alarm heels start ringing?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
I would be very very wary. There are a multitude of scams operating on fleabay, some extremely clever. If its a very expensive item I personaly wuld insist on pick up and cash only.
Original Poster
st8mike10 m ago

I would be very very wary. There are a multitude of scams operating on …I would be very very wary. There are a multitude of scams operating on fleabay, some extremely clever. If its a very expensive item I personaly wuld insist on pick up and cash only.

Hi thanks for you're response. What's the latest scams? I'm only aware of them opening cases
I would avoid advice from someone who uses terms such as "fleabay".

You can always go into settings on eBay so no one under a certain feedback can buy an item, that being said I regularly sell on eBay and have not been scammed by someone with no feedback before.

If you're that worried then just cancel, or you can try creating a dialogue with the person to try and confirm some type of authenticity.

Most scammers will have a username such as "example_28", they seem to always have numbers after it and usually have around a 20 feedback score to try and trick people.
If they paid by Paypal, you must ONLY send to the Verfied address for eScam to honour anything by way of a refund. You will see if the address is Verified in the Paypal email notifying you of payment

Use Google Streetview to inspect the address visually. If you dont like the look of the place and your item is very expensive, considering hand delivery yourself, otherwise;

Take photos (preferably get a friend to video) of the item on a smart phone (to ensure time/date stamping) before packing, during packing (to show how well it is protected) and when packing is complete (to show the package has no dents. Don't let the buyer know you have taken these precautions.

Don't skimp on packaging and do take insurance. CHECK the carrier will honour the insurance for the type of item you are sending. They have a long, long list of exclusions.

Use a recorded service (signature) and Next Day delivery.

Make sure the buyer can get in touch with you easily if they have a problem. Tell the buyer to reject the parcel if it looks damaged.

If everything goes wrong, remember this is a UK transaction and eScams attempts to force you to do as they want (pay the return postage or refund without return) don't apply in UK law. But life is difficult when things go wrong as it sounds like you already know. UK law places the onus on the buyer to inspect auction purchases very quickly and notify you immediately.

Good luck
I guess it also depends what item it is,is it an electrical item or phone etc?
Original Poster
ccnp37 m ago

If they paid by Paypal, you must ONLY send to the Verfied address for …If they paid by Paypal, you must ONLY send to the Verfied address for eScam to honour anything by way of a refund. You will see if the address is Verified in the Paypal email notifying you of paymentUse Google Streetview to inspect the address visually. If you dont like the look of the place and your item is very expensive, considering hand delivery yourself, otherwise;Take photos (preferably get a friend to video) of the item on a smart phone (to ensure time/date stamping) before packing, during packing (to show how well it is protected) and when packing is complete (to show the package has no dents. Don't let the buyer know you have taken these precautions.Don't skimp on packaging and do take insurance. CHECK the carrier will honour the insurance for the type of item you are sending. They have a long, long list of exclusions.Use a recorded service (signature) and Next Day delivery.Make sure the buyer can get in touch with you easily if they have a problem. Tell the buyer to reject the parcel if it looks damaged.If everything goes wrong, remember this is a UK transaction and eScams attempts to force you to do as they want (pay the return postage or refund without return) don't apply in UK law. But life is difficult when things go wrong as it sounds like you already know. UK law places the onus on the buyer to inspect auction purchases very quickly and notify you immediately.Good luck

Thanks for that info. IF this person does try "their luck" I would prefer them open a case against me via PayPal and not eBay, as PayPal allows ten days for me to reply. Also PayPal call centre is based in Newcastle so I find t easier to communicate with them instead of abroad call centres eBay use. Trying to get w simple message across to eBay is a nightmare. I deleted the PayPal email verified address thing u mentioned. Can I log into my PayPal account and see a "verified" logo on the transaction?
Original Poster
Robot_Rooster54 m ago

I would avoid advice from someone who uses terms such as "fleabay".You can …I would avoid advice from someone who uses terms such as "fleabay".You can always go into settings on eBay so no one under a certain feedback can buy an item, that being said I regularly sell on eBay and have not been scammed by someone with no feedback before.If you're that worried then just cancel, or you can try creating a dialogue with the person to try and confirm some type of authenticity.Most scammers will have a username such as "example_28", they seem to always have numbers after it and usually have around a 20 feedback score to try and trick people.

Address Google threw at me does it look dodgy?
33237326-a0ni3.jpg
machomansavage15 m ago

Thanks for that info. IF this person does try "their luck" I would prefer …Thanks for that info. IF this person does try "their luck" I would prefer them open a case against me via PayPal and not eBay, as PayPal allows ten days for me to reply. Also PayPal call centre is based in Newcastle so I find t easier to communicate with them instead of abroad call centres eBay use. Trying to get w simple message across to eBay is a nightmare. I deleted the PayPal email verified address thing u mentioned. Can I log into my PayPal account and see a "verified" logo on the transaction?

Alongside the "Paid by" part it will say this : Non-US - Verified
Op there is so much bad information in these replies.

Firstly, eBay and Paypal require you to send the item to the address (it doesn't need to be verified) on the transaction - do NOT look at the address in the email (that's a scammer's paradise) but log into Paypal, go to the transaction and you will see the address that Paypal supply there. You will also see a warning/statement of "ok to send" or "eligible for seller protection".

Assuming the item is under £750 in value you need to send it with an appropriate carrier that will give you online tracking and a status of delivered, with an area pertaining to the addressee (delivery office/post code etc), you do not need a signature.

Before you send, you are best checking the address is actually valid, as in deliverable. Check it on the Royal Mail address verifier.

Keep your certificate of posting, carrier receipt, tracking details when you send the item.

Be aware that eBay allow 30 days for a buyer to open a case, the 30 days starts from delivery, or the latest estimated delivery date. Paypal give 180 days and that is from date of purchase.

As for videoing, taking photos, sending with a signature - none of these will be evidence as far as Paypal or eBay are concerned.

Ultimately your online proof of delivery (POD) will protect you from an INR dispute but not a lot will protect you from a SNAD (significantly as described) and this is where the scammers work best.

If you don't feel happy sending to a low or non feedback buyer then don't. Beware that eBay may impose a defect, and two many of those will see you suspended, that's not to say it should pressure you into selling when you don't want to. You cannot prevent 0 feedback buyers from bidding (there is a setting for -1 and lower but that isn't terribly often these days), but you can block bidders and you can tighten your preferences to prevent overseas bidders and those with strikes for non payment but the most important will be blocking those that don't have a PayPal account on file, that stops most people who register under false details. Another one to deter the flyby nights is to block those that don't have a credit card on file. You can set your preferences here offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/…ces

Good luck in what you decide.
If you are unsure if the sale is eligible for protection log in and go to the transaction and click on it. There are two views in Paypal, the new view and classic view. You will see either of these two screens. You need to see that you have protection. Then follow the protection rules.

33237551-Mmpka.jpg

33237551-3BuXJ.jpg
windym9 m ago

Op there is so much bad information in these replies. Firstly, eBay and …Op there is so much bad information in these replies. Firstly, eBay and Paypal require you to send the item to the address (it doesn't need to be verified) on the transaction - do NOT look at the address in the email (that's a scammer's paradise) but log into Paypal, go to the transaction and you will see the address that Paypal supply there. You will also see a warning/statement of "ok to send" or "eligible for seller protection".Assuming the item is under £750 in value you need to send it with an appropriate carrier that will give you online tracking and a status of delivered, with an area pertaining to the addressee (delivery office/post code etc), you do not need a signature. Before you send, you are best checking the address is actually valid, as in deliverable. Check it on the Royal Mail address verifier. Keep your certificate of posting, carrier receipt, tracking details when you send the item. Be aware that eBay allow 30 days for a buyer to open a case, the 30 days starts from delivery, or the latest estimated delivery date. Paypal give 180 days and that is from date of purchase. As for videoing, taking photos, sending with a signature - none of these will be evidence as far as Paypal or eBay are concerned. Ultimately your online proof of delivery (POD) will protect you from an INR dispute but not a lot will protect you from a SNAD (significantly as described) and this is where the scammers work best. If you don't feel happy sending to a low or non feedback buyer then don't. Beware that eBay may impose a defect, and two many of those will see you suspended, that's not to say it should pressure you into selling when you don't want to. You cannot prevent 0 feedback buyers from bidding (there is a setting for -1 and lower but that isn't terribly often these days), but you can block bidders and you can tighten your preferences to prevent overseas bidders and those with strikes for non payment but the most important will be blocking those that don't have a PayPal account on file, that stops most people who register under false details. Another one to deter the flyby nights is to block those that don't have a credit card on file. You can set your preferences here http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferencesGood luck in what you decide.

I forgot about that,sometimes it says un-verified I think it is but it's still eligible for seller protection.
ccnp3 h, 41 m ago

If they paid by Paypal, you must ONLY send to the Verfied address for …If they paid by Paypal, you must ONLY send to the Verfied address for eScam to honour anything by way of a refund. You will see if the address is Verified in the Paypal email notifying you of paymentUse Google Streetview to inspect the address visually. If you dont like the look of the place and your item is very expensive, considering hand delivery yourself, otherwise;Take photos (preferably get a friend to video) of the item on a smart phone (to ensure time/date stamping) before packing, during packing (to show how well it is protected) and when packing is complete (to show the package has no dents. Don't let the buyer know you have taken these precautions.Don't skimp on packaging and do take insurance. CHECK the carrier will honour the insurance for the type of item you are sending. They have a long, long list of exclusions.Use a recorded service (signature) and Next Day delivery.Make sure the buyer can get in touch with you easily if they have a problem. Tell the buyer to reject the parcel if it looks damaged.If everything goes wrong, remember this is a UK transaction and eScams attempts to force you to do as they want (pay the return postage or refund without return) don't apply in UK law. But life is difficult when things go wrong as it sounds like you already know. UK law places the onus on the buyer to inspect auction purchases very quickly and notify you immediately.Good luck

Delivering an item in person sold via eBay and paid via Paypal would see the seller having no protection whatsoever.
Edited by: "andynicol" 10th Feb
What’s with all the ppl who think a video of an item being packed will protect them it’s an absolute waste of time
Original Poster
Robot_Rooster3 h, 34 m ago

I would avoid advice from someone who uses terms such as "fleabay".You can …I would avoid advice from someone who uses terms such as "fleabay".You can always go into settings on eBay so no one under a certain feedback can buy an item, that being said I regularly sell on eBay and have not been scammed by someone with no feedback before.If you're that worried then just cancel, or you can try creating a dialogue with the person to try and confirm some type of authenticity.Most scammers will have a username such as "example_28", they seem to always have numbers after it and usually have around a 20 feedback score to try and trick people.

Thanks Rob. Funny enough this guys username does end with a "0" is this what you're referring too?
Original Poster
andynicol1 h, 15 m ago

Delivering an item sold via eBay and paid via Paypal would see the seller …Delivering an item sold via eBay and paid via Paypal would see the seller having no protection whatsoever.

How so? Don't they inter link with one another? I know they used to prior to now being separate companies
Edited by: "machomansavage" 10th Feb
Original Poster
windym2 h, 13 m ago

Op there is so much bad information in these replies. Firstly, eBay and …Op there is so much bad information in these replies. Firstly, eBay and Paypal require you to send the item to the address (it doesn't need to be verified) on the transaction - do NOT look at the address in the email (that's a scammer's paradise) but log into Paypal, go to the transaction and you will see the address that Paypal supply there. You will also see a warning/statement of "ok to send" or "eligible for seller protection".Assuming the item is under £750 in value you need to send it with an appropriate carrier that will give you online tracking and a status of delivered, with an area pertaining to the addressee (delivery office/post code etc), you do not need a signature. Before you send, you are best checking the address is actually valid, as in deliverable. Check it on the Royal Mail address verifier. Keep your certificate of posting, carrier receipt, tracking details when you send the item. Be aware that eBay allow 30 days for a buyer to open a case, the 30 days starts from delivery, or the latest estimated delivery date. Paypal give 180 days and that is from date of purchase. As for videoing, taking photos, sending with a signature - none of these will be evidence as far as Paypal or eBay are concerned. Ultimately your online proof of delivery (POD) will protect you from an INR dispute but not a lot will protect you from a SNAD (significantly as described) and this is where the scammers work best. If you don't feel happy sending to a low or non feedback buyer then don't. Beware that eBay may impose a defect, and two many of those will see you suspended, that's not to say it should pressure you into selling when you don't want to. You cannot prevent 0 feedback buyers from bidding (there is a setting for -1 and lower but that isn't terribly often these days), but you can block bidders and you can tighten your preferences to prevent overseas bidders and those with strikes for non payment but the most important will be blocking those that don't have a PayPal account on file, that stops most people who register under false details. Another one to deter the flyby nights is to block those that don't have a credit card on file. You can set your preferences here http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferencesGood luck in what you decide.

Hey thank you for first of all for the smashing advice. As u can see from photo u uploaded in the thread it looks like a dormitory in a university. I was always going to send this signed for anyway, however you know how the Royal Mail are, I'm assuming the post man would sign it himself and leave it there instead of taking it back to the sorting office for the buyer to collect, also I've double checked the link and I've got a minus 3 set up. So how did this particular listing get sold to someone with no feedback? It looks like it slipped through the net
Edited by: "machomansavage" 10th Feb
machomansavage19 m ago

How so? Don't they inter link with one another? I know they used to prior …How so? Don't they inter link with one another? I know they used to prior to now being separate companies

A seller hand delivering an item is not covered by seller protection.

Only items despatched via recognised couriers give this.
machomansavage14 m ago

Hey thank you for first of all for the smashing advice. As u can see from …Hey thank you for first of all for the smashing advice. As u can see from photo u uploaded in the thread it looks like a dormitory in a university. I was always going to send this signed for anyway, however you know how the Royal Mail are, I'm assuming the post man would sign it himself and leave it there instead of taking it back to the sorting office for the buyer to collect, also I've double checked the link and I've got a minus 3 set up. So how did this particular listing get sold to someone with no feedback? It looks like it slipped through the net

When sending expensive items I ensure the package is clearly labelled 'not to be left without a signature by the recipient', whilst this isn't guaranteed and depends on the service/courier used, it hasn't failed me yet, either my parcel(s) have a signature by the buyer or have been returned to the depot for collection.
Original Poster
windym10th Feb

Thank you! UPDATE: took it to post office and women said the address I was given didn't exist. Thanks for your help.
machomansavage24 m ago

Thank you! UPDATE: took it to post office and women said the address I was …Thank you! UPDATE: took it to post office and women said the address I was given didn't exist. Thanks for your help.

Did you do as I suggested above and check it on the Royal Mail address verifier? That would have saved you the journey.

If the address is invalid then you need to message the buyer and cancel the sale using the reason "problem with address". The refund needs to be done through the cancellation on eBay. The buyer will still be able to repay you using his old invoice and can add a correct address in during checkout - but it sounds like you'd rather he didn't.
I would cancel the sale saying the item has been damaged. Wouldn't risk sending it if your worried. High value item = high loss if it disappears. Best of luck with it
Original Poster
windym2 h, 1 m ago

Did you do as I suggested above and check it on the Royal Mail address …Did you do as I suggested above and check it on the Royal Mail address verifier? That would have saved you the journey.If the address is invalid then you need to message the buyer and cancel the sale using the reason "problem with address". The refund needs to be done through the cancellation on eBay. The buyer will still be able to repay you using his old invoice and can add a correct address in during checkout - but it sounds like you'd rather he didn't.

Yes I should of used the link u suggested. I refunded the money to PayPal. And while it was in my PayPal I navigated to eBay help cancel sale. So the buyer doesn't have to wait days for refund. I do this also because it's the only was to get ur final value fee credited without having to ring. If u refund everything via PayPal eBay don't automatically apply your final value fee
Original Poster
windym10th Feb

I seen the buyer requirements page and I also asked eBay they said there was no way to block new eBay members who haven't made a single transaction yet. Thanks though but this turns to be false
machomansavage3 h, 45 m ago

Yes I should of used the link u suggested. I refunded the money to PayPal. …Yes I should of used the link u suggested. I refunded the money to PayPal. And while it was in my PayPal I navigated to eBay help cancel sale. So the buyer doesn't have to wait days for refund. I do this also because it's the only was to get ur final value fee credited without having to ring. If u refund everything via PayPal eBay don't automatically apply your final value fee

If you open a cancellation on eBay, that will allow you to refund immediately and it reimburses your fees. Watch your seller dashboard for a defect as you've done it out of sequence. Too many defects and you will be banned from selling.
Original Poster
windym1 h, 1 m ago

If you open a cancellation on eBay, that will allow you to refund …If you open a cancellation on eBay, that will allow you to refund immediately and it reimburses your fees. Watch your seller dashboard for a defect as you've done it out of sequence. Too many defects and you will be banned from selling.

I've refunded a few times before and I've always been told if the amount hasn't left your PayPal it would be refunded immediately otherwise buyer has to wait five to seven days and refund will go back onto their card
Did you hear anything back from the buyer when you cancelled the sale?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants