EBay question

Found 14th Feb
I sold an item earlier I dropped it to £795 or best offer ,just before the listing ended I received a £875 offer how could I get an offer higher than my listing so I initially thought scammer 14 year old account not used for 4 years but very local buyer ,anyway he contacted me asking can he collect tomorrow but something doesn’t seem right ,I have never known this to happen before ,has it happened to anybody else cheers,he’s confirmed the address he has listed to the one I can see at my end
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted265520
omar0208 m ago

Try to convince him to pay by PayPal if he collects or BT

Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!

Cash on collection only OP.
If he pays via Paypal and collects in person he can then file a claim on paypal saying the item wasn't received and you will have no proof of delivery (as he collected in person).

I've also heard horror stories of bank transfers being reversed so I'd stick to strictly cash.

On another note the fact that he offered more than what you stated suggests something is up. If you do proceed please make sure you check every note isn't counterfeit.
the.porter3 m ago

He says he would bring proof of address and bank card used and proof of Id …He says he would bring proof of address and bank card used and proof of Id but won’t pay buy cash or bt

Sack it off. If he won't agree to your terms, then there should be no sale.
deleted1023990
the.porter12 m ago

He’s paying buy MasterCard shortly through eBayand collecting tomorrow my m …He’s paying buy MasterCard shortly through eBayand collecting tomorrow my mates at our house so see how it goes

I wouldn't do that OP!

CASH ON COLLECTIONONLY if they want to collect. You're leaving yourself open to a claw-back otherwise.
43 Comments
deleted265520
omar0208 m ago

Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!

Cash on collection only OP.
If he pays via Paypal and collects in person he can then file a claim on paypal saying the item wasn't received and you will have no proof of delivery (as he collected in person).

I've also heard horror stories of bank transfers being reversed so I'd stick to strictly cash.

On another note the fact that he offered more than what you stated suggests something is up. If you do proceed please make sure you check every note isn't counterfeit.
DT8914th Feb

Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!Cash on collection …Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!Cash on collection only OP.If he pays via Paypal and collects in person he can then file a claim on paypal saying the item wasn't received and you will have no proof of delivery (as he collected in person).I've also heard horror stories of bank transfers being reversed so I'd stick to strictly cash.On another note the fact that he offered more than what you stated suggests something is up. If you do proceed please make sure you check every note isn't counterfeit.

It's a rarity (possibly a first and last) but what DT said.
Perhaps he typed the wrong amount in? £875 instead of £785
I have just asked him how he wants to pay ,yes only cash or bank transfer my preferred choice I might ring eBay something just not right
Edited by: "the.porter" 14th Feb
Toptrumpet3 m ago

But surely you can’t offer more than the listed price ?
What about if he gives fake notes? Nothing is covered and lost money and the item
omar02036 s ago

What about if he gives fake notes? Nothing is covered and lost money and …What about if he gives fake notes? Nothing is covered and lost money and the item

I hope I can spot a fake note
Toptrumpet19 m ago

I would maybe say that to! Probably a typo
the.porter17 m ago

I hope I can spot a fake note

I don't know if it will make a difference to anybody's advice but what sort of item is it?
Edited by: "shadey12" 14th Feb
shadey121 m ago

I don't know if it will make a difference to anybody's advice but what …I don't know if it will make a difference to anybody's advice but what sort of item is it?

Soundbar
Why don't you ask him lol? Ask, why have you have offered more than the asking price ? Sounds a bit strange if it isn't a typo. Is he coming to your house to collect? Just be wary as he could come just to take a look and not actually buy, I'm always so wary of anybody coming to my house to buy items I have listed
He’s paying buy MasterCard shortly through eBayand collecting tomorrow my mates at our house so see how it goes
all paid all info matches up names etc postcode on PayPal
deleted1023990
the.porter12 m ago

He’s paying buy MasterCard shortly through eBayand collecting tomorrow my m …He’s paying buy MasterCard shortly through eBayand collecting tomorrow my mates at our house so see how it goes

I wouldn't do that OP!

CASH ON COLLECTIONONLY if they want to collect. You're leaving yourself open to a claw-back otherwise.
Can you stipulate cash on collection through eBay though ?
the.porter19 m ago

Can you stipulate cash on collection through eBay though ?

Yes, it's in PayPal's own terms not to accept it for collected items as you have zero protection.

Edit - Just found reference to it.

What isn’t covered by Seller Protection?
Most PayPal transactions are covered as long as they follow these requirements. However, there are instances where Seller Protection doesn’t apply:
Claims, chargebacks, or reversals filed because the item is significantly different from how it was described (e.g. you described an item as “new,” but sent a used one).
Intangible purchases like services, digital goods, etc.
Items picked up locally or in person.
Transactions made through PayPal Direct, Virtual Terminal, PayPal Business, or PayPal Here.
Instances where you receive multiple payments for an item.
Claims filed directly through an eBay account.
Prohibited items such as drug paraphernalia, ammunition/firearms, or counterfeit goods.
First Class Mail International, since the receipt only shows the address the order was delivered to – not the customer's address.
These eligibility requirements for coverage can also be found in the Seller Protection section of our User Agreement.
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 14th Feb
deleted102399014th Feb

If it's collection then yes. Ebay will process the buyers card payment via …If it's collection then yes. Ebay will process the buyers card payment via PAYPAL anyway, so if you're not shipping (with signed for proof) to his registered and confirmed PAYPAL address as the cardholder - you're really asking for trouble.

I bought a few items on local ebay and always paid in cash when I collected item from the seller.
You would be better off with cash on collection like op have said. Have you checked you PayPal account to make sure that the money paid is actually in there? I sold an item on eBay which was cash on collection only but buyer paid via PayPal (I had email from from what I thought was PayPal, had my name etc on it), so didn't bother to check, person came collected the item, I then checked PayPal to find no payment had been made also it was a spoof email, eventually able to contact PayPal only to be told there was nothing they can do, so please be very very cateful
Refunded now as Rang PayPal and as stated I’m not covered for cash on collection And if buyer really wants I’m sure he will pay cash if not so be it
DT8914th Feb

Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!Cash on collection …Are you off your head? That's the complete wrong advice!Cash on collection only OP.If he pays via Paypal and collects in person he can then file a claim on paypal saying the item wasn't received and you will have no proof of delivery (as he collected in person).I've also heard horror stories of bank transfers being reversed so I'd stick to strictly cash.On another note the fact that he offered more than what you stated suggests something is up. If you do proceed please make sure you check every note isn't counterfeit.

Just to add to DT's closing sentence..

I would make arrangements to meet at a branch of your bank; not only because the buyer will then be on CCTV with you, but also so that the payment can be paid straight into your account & the notes checked by the member of the bank staff serving you.
fanpages2 m ago

Just to add to DT's closing sentence..I would make arrangements to meet at …Just to add to DT's closing sentence..I would make arrangements to meet at a branch of your bank; not only because the buyer will then be on CCTV with you, but also so that the payment can be paid straight into your account & the notes checked by the member of the bank staff serving you.

33262462-c6Yls.jpg
omar0201 h, 17 m ago

What about if he gives fake notes? Nothing is covered and lost money and …What about if he gives fake notes? Nothing is covered and lost money and the item

Has anyone here seen a fake polymer note yet?

I'd be wanting cash on collection in your position. I'm not sure why you offered a bank transfer option when everyone has advised cash.

If you have to do that, I'd at the very least get them to sign something saying they collected the item. If you can film them signing even better.
He says he would bring proof of address and bank card used and proof of Id but won’t pay buy cash or bt
the.porter3 m ago

He says he would bring proof of address and bank card used and proof of Id …He says he would bring proof of address and bank card used and proof of Id but won’t pay buy cash or bt

Sack it off. If he won't agree to your terms, then there should be no sale.
Then don't sell to him. Clearly there's an agenda. If it's too good to be true, it is!

Cash only or no sale. You're in the driving seat here remember!
I know it’s PayPal and eBay they both make you stipulate a PayPal payment but don’t offer any cover for collection let’s say if example you do a cashback claim after the event ,I’m not saying you would but it happens then I have no cover whatsoever, if it was say £20 then no problem please don’t take any offence by this it’s nothin personal, I know the estate where you live and it’s a very smart place ,if not cash or bt then postage is the only option obviously on a 24 hour delivery at a very reduced cost regards

just sent him this
MSK.2 m ago

Sack it off. If he won't agree to your terms, then there should be no …Sack it off. If he won't agree to your terms, then there should be no sale.

the.porter5 m ago

I know it’s PayPal and eBay they both make you stipulate a PayPal payment b …I know it’s PayPal and eBay they both make you stipulate a PayPal payment but don’t offer any cover for collection let’s say if example you do a cashback claim after the event ,I’m not saying you would but it happens then I have no cover whatsoever, if it was say £20 then no problem please don’t take any offence by this it’s nothin personal, I know the estate where you live and it’s a very smart place ,if not cash or bt then postage is the only option obviously on a 24 hour delivery at a very reduced cost regards just sent him this

See what they come back with.
MSK.2 m ago

See what they come back with.

He asked how much would postage be if we went down that route but it’s now cancelled through eBay so I presume I have no way of redoing it now anyway
fanpages28 m ago

Just to add to DT's closing sentence..I would make arrangements to meet at …Just to add to DT's closing sentence..I would make arrangements to meet at a branch of your bank; not only because the buyer will then be on CCTV with you, but also so that the payment can be paid straight into your account & the notes checked by the member of the bank staff serving you.

33262660-AKbfa.jpg
MSK.29 m ago

Has anyone here seen a fake polymer note yet?I'd be wanting cash on …Has anyone here seen a fake polymer note yet?I'd be wanting cash on collection in your position. I'm not sure why you offered a bank transfer option when everyone has advised cash. If you have to do that, I'd at the very least get them to sign something saying they collected the item. If you can film them signing even better.

Go with @fanpages advice, get em on the bank CCTV and pay it in at same time, chances are they'll be paying in non polymer notes and could be 50s.
I was surprised when a seller let me pay part cash and part paypal on a car I bought via ebay, good job for him im honest, never accept anything other than cash or wives when selling on ebay and they collect.
the.porter12 m ago

He asked how much would postage be if we went down that route but it’s n …He asked how much would postage be if we went down that route but it’s now cancelled through eBay so I presume I have no way of redoing it now anyway

Probably for the best, sounded like trouble at every turn. It's a lot of money to lose if something went awry.
Says he doesn’t mind paying £40 for postage but can’t redo it anyway now
Sounds like a dodgy one. Relist and sell to someone else.
It will have to wait until a £1 eBay fee arrives agian
deleted265520
the.porter1 h, 47 m ago

Totally ignore what I said in post 2 then...
the.porter9 m ago

It will have to wait until a £1 eBay fee arrives agian

You done the right thing as you would have felt bad being ripped off
deleted265520
What you do now is add him to you blocked buyers list on eBay and relist stipulating cash on collection only.

He is definitely acting up.

You should've just took my advice in post 2 rather than make the situation worse.
summerof762 m ago

You done the right thing as you would have felt bad being ripped off

I would of cried mate like a baby
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants