Ebay question

Found 15th Feb
Hi all, just a quick question.

I bought an item on ebay via an auction, I paid considerably less than the item is worth and I said to the wife there is no way this will be sent as the seller is making a huge loss.

It has now been over a week and the item still hasn't arrived and the seller isn't being very helpful. They claim it has been sent but with basic postage and no tracking

Is my only option to get a refund on this? Seems they haven't even bothered to post it to save himself having to part with the item at such a cheap price.

Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Yes that's quite common, you're only entitled to a refund, not a replacement at the same cost.
Ask them for proof of posting, I bet they won't have any.
Original Poster
Bigfootpete9 m ago

Ask them for proof of posting, I bet they won't have any.

I've asked and they said they don't have it as it was sent normal post.
Richard_Richard47 m ago

Yes that's quite common, you're only entitled to a refund, not a …Yes that's quite common, you're only entitled to a refund, not a replacement at the same cost.

Well that is the real world answer.

Legally, it's a different matter. The seller entered into a binding contract on the fall of the hammer.

Depends on whether you think this was an honest mistake or a con job. eBay likes to hide this sort of seller/buyer and encourages all sorts of get outs to avoid their customer base being shown for what it really is. As many shysters as honest folk.

We all make mistakes. If they are rare, perhaps they should not count against the seller (or buyer in a reverse circumstance). If the seller has a habit of doing this then others need to be aware so be wary of how you agree to rescind the sale agreement. You need to show this character hasn't delivered in Feedback. If you simply agree to cancel the purchase, the seller can defame you instead as a non completer.

You may also want to extract retribution if you think it was a put up job. Forcing a straight repayment means the seller will suffer Paypal charges. Cancelling the agreement may even mean you pay charges. Do some research.

Probably best to not go outside Paypal when it comes to a refund. Refuse to supply bank details and notify eBay.

Whatever you do, don't be conned by eBay or Paypal (which is owned by eBay) into thinking you have no rights in UK law and have to accept their judgement on the matter. You were on a UK site where, presumably, the goods were described in English, priced in GBP and you paid in GBP. If you were a Business, you would be expected to know the terms of the legal agreement and that agreement would not have to be reasonable. As a Consumer, you have the full force of the law behind you and the contract has to be reasonable.

If the agreement was over £100 and you paid directly by Credit Card, you have S75 protection (look on MoneySavingExpert.co.uk)
I would just like to add even basic postage if sent as a small parcel will have a reference number on it. Which can be checked on royal mail site. Unless it was something posted as large letter.
Yeah, I'd take it to the High Court and maybe the Hague. That or an ebay INR case and a big fat red dot.
I thought Paypal was no longer owned by eBay?
spamalia11 h, 47 m ago

I would just like to add even basic postage if sent as a small parcel will …I would just like to add even basic postage if sent as a small parcel will have a reference number on it. Which can be checked on royal mail site. Unless it was something posted as large letter.

That's incorrect, if you send something i.e RM 2nd class there's no way to check if it got there or not (that's why the seller has said what they've said). If you buy RM 2nd class via eBay shutl you get a reference # to check on RM site (works exactly like RM Click & Drop).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 15th Feb
The kid is not my son
AustinDel19 h, 44 m ago

I've asked and they said they don't have it as it was sent normal post.

You still get a receipt though...
Bigfootpete6 h, 55 m ago

You still get a receipt though...

They can turn around and say they've lost it.
RiverDragon822 h, 8 m ago

That's incorrect, if you send something i.e RM 2nd class there's no way to …That's incorrect, if you send something i.e RM 2nd class there's no way to check if it got there or not (that's why the seller has said what they've said). If you buy RM 2nd class via eBay shutl you get a reference # to check on RM site (works exactly like RM Click & Drop).

I send items by RM 2nd class small parcel and you get a tracking number and you can check to see if it has been delivered or where it is, it just doesn't require anybody to sign for it.
Asura15 m ago

I send items by RM 2nd class small parcel and you get a tracking number …I send items by RM 2nd class small parcel and you get a tracking number and you can check to see if it has been delivered or where it is, it just doesn't require anybody to sign for it.

Yes BUT if you go over the counter in a post office and just ask for just 2nd class delivered and get no tracking number.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 16th Feb
RiverDragon88 m ago

Yes BUT if you go over the counter in a post office and just ask for just …Yes BUT if you go over the counter in a post office and just ask for just 2nd class delivered and get no tracking number.

I get a tracking number every time, you don't have to ask for proof of delivery anymore, they just do it now. They type in the house number and postcode to make sure the address is valid and the tracking number is on the receipt.
Asura6 m ago

I get a tracking number every time, you don't have to ask for proof of …I get a tracking number every time, you don't have to ask for proof of delivery anymore, they just do it now. They type in the house number and postcode to make sure the address is valid and the tracking number is on the receipt.

I've just checked and you're right. When did RM start offering this service?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions