Ebay rant

Probably been mentioned 100x already on here but i want to let my anger out so we can all moan about it all over again!

I sold a ps3 game on ebay it went for £7 which i was shocked about as i was expecting £15. Anyway you have to give free postage. It cost me £2.50. So im left with about £3 for a ps3 game after fees

COMPLETE AND UTTER JOKE.

Thats it for me with ebay and games/cds/dvds.

19 Comments

u shud have set a higher start price maybe or reserve etc, but i agree on the free postage thing

yep sucks, sold a fairly new dvd for £4 quid after fees and postage whats the point

You have to send it recorded or you'll just get a claim against you

Yeah, this new Free Postage is nonsense. You have to select "Courier" then specify amount in the listing. The problem with it is that THEY have to add the correct amount at the end of the listing rather than it being automated. I sold the complete Farscape, cost me £8 postage! That was before I noticed how to override it for the next time.

Banned

seems like they're trying to push out the individuals selling things leaving it open for all the traders :x I thought when it started out that ebay was meant to be all about the individuals? :?

Banned

Did you not know it was free postage before you listed it or something?
Surely you started the auction at the lowest price you were willing to take for it?

Not that I agree with forced free postage, but simple answer is, if you don't want to offer free postage, don't sell on ebay!

you should/can sell on here. ITS EXCELLENT and no stooopid fees

i hate conbay GRRR

Sin_of_nature;5948263

Yeah, this new Free Postage is nonsense. You have to select "Courier" … Yeah, this new Free Postage is nonsense. You have to select "Courier" then specify amount in the listing. The problem with it is that THEY have to add the correct amount at the end of the listing rather than it being automated. I sold the complete Farscape, cost me £8 postage! That was before I noticed how to override it for the next time.

Yeh do that. Although you find these ones get less bids, less views and go for a lower price.

Original Poster

colinsunderland;5948307

Did you not know it was free postage before you listed it or … Did you not know it was free postage before you listed it or something?Surely you started the auction at the lowest price you were willing to take for it?Not that I agree with forced free postage, but simple answer is, if you don't want to offer free postage, don't sell on ebay!

I checked completed listings and the game i sold goes for £15 to £16 but to my surprise it went for £7. I end auctions about 7pm which im led to beleive is the best time to end a auction and on a mon or tues. I have nearly 1000 feedbacks too at 99%.

I think what ebay are doing is there trying to compete with play.com, amazon hmv..ect all the big names that offer free postage. But they had 2 options

MAKE THE SELLER SEND IT FOR FREE
or
REMOVE SELLER FEES FOR DVDS..ECT

Its obvious what they were gonna do :whistling:

I think its a lot better now. No more getting ripped off from sellers over inflating the postage charges. Which is why a lot of people are annoyed about it.

Original Poster

well yea its better for the buyer.

Those that used overcharge i fully understand too. Ebay and paypal fees are madness.

I used to charge £3 to send recorded delivery.

J4GG4;5948429

I used to charge £3 to send recorded delivery.

What were you selling for the postage to cost £3?

Original Poster

Games
dvds..ect

Post office charges £2.50
jiffy bag £1
petrol to get to the post office £1
total £4.50

i charge £2.99 so even at 2.99 im losing out.

Banned

deathtrap3000;5948405

I think its a lot better now. No more getting ripped off from sellers … I think its a lot better now. No more getting ripped off from sellers over inflating the postage charges. Which is why a lot of people are annoyed about it.

And no more honest sellers giving postage discounts for buying more than one item. Thats why I'm annoyed about it as I know it will be brought into the cats I use at some point.

J4GG4;5948488

Gamesdvds..ectPost office charges £2.50jiffy bag £1petrol to get to the p … Gamesdvds..ectPost office charges £2.50jiffy bag £1petrol to get to the post office £1total £4.50i charge £2.99 so even at 2.99 im losing out.

lol for me I send first class which costs about 90p and just get proof of posting. Recycle any jiffy bags I have and walk to the post offce. Total cost 90p.

I spose because its costing me so little to post things I expect others to be posting at about the same price. Any higher than £2 for posting and it puts me off bidding.

deathtrap3000;5948522

lol for me I send first class which costs about 90p and just get proof of … lol for me I send first class which costs about 90p and just get proof of posting. Recycle any jiffy bags I have and walk to the post offce. Total cost 90p. I spose because its costing me so little to post things I expect others to be posting at about the same price. Any higher than £2 for posting and it puts me off bidding.

+1

i was going to bid on a outfit for my little girl a dress and leggings set P&P was £5!
needless to say i did not bid

ps my daughter was only 3 months at the time so the outfit would of been tiny, if she were 15 maybe i would understand the high postage

The reason they've done the Free Postage thing from what I've read is that people we're selling items for 99p and postage £7.99 (i.e. the actual price they want for item). You dont pay ebay fees on postage and therefore ebay got sod all fees. Its in the rules that you are not supposed to do that, but they never actually did anything to stop sellers doing it (I mean, the foreign sellers are imfamous for doing this). Free P&P is their solution... cant be bothered enforcing the rules, so screw all sellers instead.

deathtrap3000;5948405

I think its a lot better now. No more getting ripped off from sellers … I think its a lot better now. No more getting ripped off from sellers over inflating the postage charges. Which is why a lot of people are annoyed about it.

I don't get this "ripped off" by postage charges idea - I always check the total cost. When I used to buy DVDs on eBay the best bargains were often those with slightly higher postal charges as most people didn't bid on them.

Similarly setting a 'realistic' selling price is a big turn-off to most bidders I've often bought items at the initial high starting bid while a similar item that started at a low price is being fought over by a dozen bidders and makes twice the price.

Sin_of_nature;5948546

The reason they've done the Free Postage thing from what I've read is … The reason they've done the Free Postage thing from what I've read is that people we're selling items for 99p and postage £7.99 (i.e. the actual price they want for item). You dont pay ebay fees on postage and therefore ebay got sod all fees. Its in the rules that you are not supposed to do that, but they never actually did anything to stop sellers doing it (I mean, the foreign sellers are imfamous for doing this). Free P&P is their solution... cant be bothered enforcing the rules, so screw all sellers instead.

You're spot on there I think.

I've never tried selling on eBay - so far as I see eBay serves firstly ebay, then the business sellers, then the buyer and way way down the heap the small seller.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;5948522

lol for me I send first class which costs about 90p and just get proof of … lol for me I send first class which costs about 90p and just get proof of posting. Recycle any jiffy bags I have and walk to the post offce. Total cost 90p. I spose because its costing me so little to post things I expect others to be posting at about the same price. Any higher than £2 for posting and it puts me off bidding.

I have never in 6 years of being a ebay member sent a item other than a trackable service.

Your destined to get robbed with a paypal claim. I dont buy enough things to reuse jiffy bags unfortunatly. i think as a buyer AND seller a trackable service is a must. I only purchase things with a trackable service if the item costs over £5.

I sell the odd item on ebay.
My main issues.
1.Sellers cannot leave negative feedback, even for none paying bidders.
2.No point in proof of posting, Buyer claims they haven’t received the item and paypal refund them. Paypal will not accept proof of posting. :x
3.You add the price for tracking .75p and buyers stay away because of the price increase.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
    2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
    3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
    4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions