Ebay refund not paid

So I bought something off Ebay for about £25 (paid with Paypal), but it took ages to arrive. In contacting the seller about the delay I (somewhat accidentally) opened a case. Anyway, the item eventually arrived, but it was the wrong item. Seller agreed to a refund, I sent it back, courier tracking said it arrived, I waited over a week for refund, never got it. When I tried to contact Ebay again, the case had now closed so i couldn't contact either them or the seller about this. I emailed the seller privately and got no reply. I rang Ebay and the rather useless bloke on the phone just kept saying that since their computer had closed my case they couldn't do anything. Pretty much all trace of the transaction has now vanished from my Ebay account so I can't even leave feedback! The guy on the phone said that it was now a Paypal issue, is that really right or was he just fobbing me off? Do I really have no appeal or other redress through Ebay on this? Is there any other way I can try to get my money back, maybe a chargeback or something?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

6 Comments

Open a PayPal case, add evidence if the seller is dumb enough to not just issue a refund PayPal will.

You will have emails of the transaction. Add them as sceeenshots in your case

You can open a Paypal case up to 6 moths from the transaction date and leave bad feedback on Ebay as long as it is under 28 days since completion

john_g

You can open a Paypal case up to 6 moths from the transaction date and … You can open a Paypal case up to 6 moths from the transaction date and leave bad feedback on Ebay as long as it is under 28 days since completion

How about 2 beetles? Sorry couldn't help it

You can leave feedback on eBay for purchases up to 60 days old. Hover your mouse over the "Account" tab in "My ebay" and there is an option which says "Feedback". Click on that and it will enable you to leave the appropriate feedback.

With regards to a refund, what was your original eBay case for? Depending on the case, if it has been closed eBay is correct, they're unable to reopen. Also PayPal will not normally help if an eBay case has already been opened.

So likely your only hope is that the negative feedback will draw the seller's attention and persuade them to resolve.

Edited by: "joshp" 26th Jan

Original Poster

Huge thanks to Catbeans, Gpawan, John_g, Slevinkelevra, and Joshp for taking the time to reply to me.

Literally the day after I posted my question, out of absolutely nowhere the Ebay seller suddenly initiated a refund for the item price, which did (after a while) come through. I also received the cost of my return postage back through the Paypal Free Returns scheme that has been mentioned elsewhere on this site. I don't know if it was that Paypal postage claim that made the seller suddenly pull his finger out (maybe he was notified I was doing it?), or if it was pure coincidence, but it meant that I didn't need to take any of the fine advice that you all offered me after all. Nevertheless, I am genuinely most grateful to you all for pointing me in the right direction had i needed to take this further, and i hope that i may be able to help all of you out at one time or another in the future on here. Thanks!
Edited by: "dealpickle" 17th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions