Ebay refund question has it happened to you?

Found 24th Feb
So I bought some vintage David off Cool water and seller advised me that it was splash and not EDT (as advertised) and seller advised me he would refund me without shipping. 12 hours later I was still getting a eBay message ''the seller has refunded you action confirmation email'' I haven't had any email. In the end i've opened a case via pay pal as they seem to be far better and capable than eBay. Could someone advise me if this has happened to them? and what they done about it?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments
Sounds like a scam. They try to get you to close any remedial action, pretending refund is processed. Once close they disappear and you have no come back.
Original Poster
Oneday773 m ago

Sounds like a scam. They try to get you to close any remedial action, …Sounds like a scam. They try to get you to close any remedial action, pretending refund is processed. Once close they disappear and you have no come back.

Thanks Vega! only earlier I was listening to your SF2 theme, very odd coincidence here. But how do you mean? ebay agent was useless, I was advised ''seller doesn;t know how to refund. When i esculated to speak to a manager i was advised that I had to wait 3 days. Can;t wait to finish what m selling so I can get off ebay. Seems to just keep getting worse
The seller will send Comms indicating you need to progress the refund.
When you do so, it ends up as to closing any claim and they don’t have to refund.

Put in a SNAD claim. That way it goes through eBay and they should just issue a refund.
Original Poster
Oneday7734 s ago

The seller will send Comms indicating you need to progress the refund. …The seller will send Comms indicating you need to progress the refund. When you do so, it ends up as to closing any claim and they don’t have to refund. Put in a SNAD claim. That way it goes through eBay and they should just issue a refund.

Thanks How do i do tht?
It is not clear if you have a case open on eBay or not? Do you?

If not, open a case on eBay as 'doesn't match description' or similar wording. The case will allow the seller to respond. If they do not respond with a refund/return/prepaid label within 8 days you can escalate the case to eBay after the 8th day. EBay will rule in your favour and will do one of two things. They will either send you a prepaid label to return the item or they will refund you without needing to return.

Do not close the case.

It does look like you have a Paypal case open. You shouldn't have two cases open for the same item so hopefully Paypal won't close the case. Resolve the matter in eBay first so that you don't jeopardise any chance in Paypal of sorting it out.
machomansavage6 h, 44 m ago

Thanks How do i do tht?

Hi go to eBay app or website go to purchases click on item it should have a list saing leave feedback,contact seller,buy another ect then the last one is more options click this then return or refund, item reason not as described. Ebay contact seller to get them to deal with it properly if in 7 days you haven’t came to a resolution you go back to same place and escalate to eBay they will either refund you or send you a free return label and refund you when item tracks delivered back to sender. HTH.
If you haven't opened a case on eBay you need to do this:

Go to your purchase history. Top right drop down in My Ebay.

33320363-fYvAR.jpg
The items you have purchased will be under the ORDERED tab.

33320363-2WCqo.jpg

On the far right you can see a drop down which says "I'd like to..." Click that and select RETURN THIS ITEM.

33320363-U7XJG.jpg

When that opens a box will appear with a drop down. Select "doesn't match description" (this ensures the seller pays for the return). In the main box you can write a short note to the seller. I would put something like - item is not EDT as advertised - make sure their eBay ad does say it was EDT (or use your own wording). Whatever you put in here is what eBay staff may read when deciding who to rule in favour of. Note on mine, I am outside of the 30 days, you won't see that wording.

33320363-zXhaV.jpg
The eight days starts from the moment you open the case.
Original Poster
windym1 h, 54 m ago

If you haven't opened a case on eBay you need to do this:Log in.Go to your …If you haven't opened a case on eBay you need to do this:Log in.Go to your purchase history. Top right drop down in My Ebay.[Image] The items you have purchased will be under the ORDERED tab.[Image] On the far right you can see a drop down which says "I'd like to..." Click that and select RETURN THIS ITEM.[Image] When that opens a box will appear with a drop down. Select "doesn't match description" (this ensures the seller pays for the return). In the main box you can write a short note to the seller. I would put something like - item is not EDT as advertised - make sure their eBay ad does say it was EDT (or use your own wording). Whatever you put in here is what eBay staff may read when deciding who to rule in favour of. Note on mine, I am outside of the 30 days, you won't see that wording. [Image] The eight days starts from the moment you open the case.

Hi thanks for detailed reply. But all I'm seeing is "see cancellation detailed" not return button there
Original Poster
masesmum283 h, 22 m ago

Hi go to eBay app or website go to purchases click on item it should have …Hi go to eBay app or website go to purchases click on item it should have a list saing leave feedback,contact seller,buy another ect then the last one is more options click this then return or refund, item reason not as described. Ebay contact seller to get them to deal with it properly if in 7 days you haven’t came to a resolution you go back to same place and escalate to eBay they will either refund you or send you a free return label and refund you when item tracks delivered back to sender. HTH.

All I have is "see cancellation details" no refund, was told by eBay seller doesn't know how to refund. Honestly they're useless. They then blame it on PayPal. Quick enough taking money and take ages to refund
machomansavage1 h, 7 m ago

All I have is "see cancellation details" no refund, was told by eBay …All I have is "see cancellation details" no refund, was told by eBay seller doesn't know how to refund. Honestly they're useless. They then blame it on PayPal. Quick enough taking money and take ages to refund

Have you had any form of a refund or partial refund from the seller?
Original Poster
windym6 m ago

Have you had any form of a refund or partial refund from the seller?

Nope. Gave up with useless eBay and opened a case via PayPal that's now been escalated
machomansavage5 m ago

Nope. Gave up with useless eBay and opened a case via PayPal that's now …Nope. Gave up with useless eBay and opened a case via PayPal that's now been escalated

Ideal.

Paypal will take a couple of days probably before they make a decision.

When it's made, they should rule in your favour and ask you to send the item back. It HAS to be sent back with tracking and show as delivered to the seller. Signed For isn't tracking so you may want to go for a courier who has online tracking or use Special Delivery.

Either way, you have to pay for the return (as it's a Paypal case). But you can get a £15 contribution towards the postage with Paypal if you register here paypal.com/uk/…rns

Do not close the case under any circumstances.

For future reference, although eBay didn't appear to be the easiest option, it really is. They would have ensured the seller paid for the return.
Edited by: "windym" 24th Feb
Original Poster
windym18 m ago

Ideal.Paypal will take a couple of days probably before they make a …Ideal.Paypal will take a couple of days probably before they make a decision.When it's made, they should rule in your favour and ask you to send the item back. It HAS to be sent back with tracking and show as delivered to the seller. Signed For isn't tracking so you may want to go for a courier who has online tracking or use Special Delivery.Either way, you have to pay for the return (as it's a Paypal case). But you can get a £15 contribution towards the postage with Paypal if you register here https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returnsDo not close the case under any circumstances.For future reference, although eBay didn't appear to be the easiest option, it really is. They would have ensured the seller paid for the return.

Sorry for confusion seller never sent item and said would refund me instead he listed it as EDT but it was a splash and I then told him I didn't want it so he said he'll refund me instead of posting
Ah, that explains the eBay screen being different, I thought you had to return a misdescribed item. Nevermind the end result will be the same.

You've hopefully opened an NR (not received) case on Paypal. In which case, if the seller cannot provide tracking then the case will go in your favour and you'll get all your money back.
Edited by: "windym" 24th Feb
Do you know that buyers are using this technique of saying that the item is not as described to also rip it off sellers! By doing this I have been out of pocket on an expensive item I sold, times are a bit tough at the moment for us and they used this method knowing that eBay will just refund and make me pay all the charges and eBay keeps the fees I paid, disgusting customer service and all one sided, I can tell that they haven't even reviewed the case as if they had they would see it is exactly as described and the buyer kept coming up with random reasons to return it. Steer clear of eBay if you are selling and please don't encourage people to use the 'item not as described' method it's putting good private sellers out of pocket when they can't afford to be.
Original Poster
katato1318 m ago

Do you know that buyers are using this technique of saying that the item …Do you know that buyers are using this technique of saying that the item is not as described to also rip it off sellers! By doing this I have been out of pocket on an expensive item I sold, times are a bit tough at the moment for us and they used this method knowing that eBay will just refund and make me pay all the charges and eBay keeps the fees I paid, disgusting customer service and all one sided, I can tell that they haven't even reviewed the case as if they had they would see it is exactly as described and the buyer kept coming up with random reasons to return it. Steer clear of eBay if you are selling and please don't encourage people to use the 'item not as described' method it's putting good private sellers out of pocket when they can't afford to be.

I also sell on eBay have been for years. And yes I know how one sided they are, however that being said they are getting better for protecting sellers too. PayPal i use more for resolving resolution cases as at least PayPal are based in UK. Newcastle to be exact, no language barrier. Unlike eBay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants