Expired

EBAY REFUNDS - YOU ARE ENTITLED TO GET YOUR POSTAGE COSTS TOO

Found 15th Nov 2011
OK, so not a deal as such but I am fed up with business sellers on Ebay so thought I would share this info. This also applies to any online retailer.

Here goes. If you buy an item from a business seller on ebay and return it, by law they have to not only refund you what you paid for the item but also your original postage costs. Most do not refund the postage. Bear in mind you still may have to pay to return the item yourself.

I have just won a claim through Paypal for this so don't be afraid to do so. Here is an exert from ebay :

What if you change your mind?

Distance Selling Regulations
The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 generally apply to sales to consumers made by sellers acting in the course of a business, which have been made at a distance. In other words, where there's no face-to-face contact between the seller and the consumer before the contract is made. The Distance Selling Regulations apply to items purchased via Buy It Now listings and Second Chance Offers on eBay.co.uk. However, they don't apply to auction format listings on eBay.co.uk.

The Regulations also provide a period of seven working days after the date of receipt within which the consumer can cancel the contract (often referred to as the "cooling off" period) and get their money back, including the original postage and packing charges. The consumer can be asked to return the goods at their own expense, but only if the seller informed them of this requirement before the contract was made (otherwise, the seller is responsible for collecting the goods). If a business seller has not provided the information required under the Distance Selling Regulations (as discussed above), the buyer will have up to 3 months to cancel the contract and get their money back.

The cancellation rights do not apply to certain items including software, audio or video recordings that have been unsealed, perishable goods such as food or flowers, or items that have been made to order.

To get a general idea of the laws governing distance sales, we recommend that you review BIS’s summary of the Regulations.

Both the Citizen's Advice Bureau and the Office of Fair Trading also provide advice on your rights when shopping online.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments

Thanks for the advice

Moved to Misc - this is more of a heads up rather than a deal.......

Sorry but this isnt news.

You have always been able to get your original postage cost back. Ebay/paypal always issue you that if going through a dispute.
Its the return postage cost that always seems to be the sticking point between buyers and sellers.

It is a bit of a grey area tbh because there are so many home traders now. The fight is that this only applies to those registered at company house.

When returning at item if the seller states what method you must return the item, ie recorded delivery to ensure the item's return, failure to do so negates the return.

Original Poster

It may not be news to most of you but you'd be surprised how many people don't know and how many sellers don't refund original postage costs. The other reason is that this doesn't just apply to Ebay, but to any internet store or catalogue. You won't always have ebay or paypal to back you up. Thanks for the feedback though.

Banned

Kankan101

It is a bit of a grey area tbh because there are so many home traders … It is a bit of a grey area tbh because there are so many home traders now. The fight is that this only applies to those registered at company house.

What a load of rubbish, the DSR's apply to any business, even people who pretend they aren't.

ScreechMF

It may not be news to most of you but you'd be surprised how many people … It may not be news to most of you but you'd be surprised how many people don't know and how many sellers don't refund original postage costs. The other reason is that this doesn't just apply to Ebay, but to any internet store or catalogue. You won't always have ebay or paypal to back you up. Thanks for the feedback though.

I agree that Ebay and Paypal wont back it up as recently they told me to take the issue of the P&P up with the seller as it was nothing to do with them, the seller then refused............

To be honest, if I made a mistake and ordered the wrong goods or changed my mind then I accept that on the chin and return the goods at my own cost, if they are not as described or faulty then I've never had a seller refuse to pay all costs.

jase.2

I agree that Ebay and Paypal wont back it up as recently they told me to … I agree that Ebay and Paypal wont back it up as recently they told me to take the issue of the P&P up with the seller as it was nothing to do with them, the seller then refused............

yeah, ebay won't issue a full refund simply because you have changed your mind about the product and no longer want it (that is if you bought it in an auction from a private seller).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions