eBay removing legitimate feedback left for sellers

Found 12th Aug 2017
I purchased a hard drive that was being sold as a new item from ebay. The seller had sold many in this listing and he had 100% positive feedback rating. When it arrived, it wassealed in an anti-static bag as expected but it did have a few minor scuffs so I decided to check its SMART stats.

I was surprised to see that it reported over 7000 hours of use, yet was sold as a new drive and made to look like one too. Although it was functional, I felt duped so I left negative feedback to ensure others were aware of the facts - no profanity or exaggerations, just a statement to say that the hard drive was in fact not new as stated.

A few days later, I noticed that the feedback had gone. I contacted ebay out of curiosity and they shared the reasons for feedback removal:

"We remove Feedback and other content posted on our site by eBay members only in exceptional circumstances, for example if the comment contains obscene language, or if eBay receives a court order to remove it. We're legally bound to remove comments if we receive a valid Notice of False and Defamatory Content confirming the complainant's belief that the comments are defamatory as defined by the law."

They acknowledged that my feedback didn't fall under this criteria but refused to tell me why it was removed "due to privacy issues".

I feel like removing negative feedback so casually at the request of the seller undermines the integrity and trust in the feedback system and I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Just forget about it. ebay are a law unto themselves. They answer to nobody.

Presumably you paid via PayPal.

Have you raised a "significantly not as described by the Seller" [SNAD] claim?

[ paypal.com/ch/…_CH ]
24 Comments

Just forget about it. ebay are a law unto themselves. They answer to nobody.

Presumably you paid via PayPal.

Have you raised a "significantly not as described by the Seller" [SNAD] claim?

[ paypal.com/ch/…_CH ]

As fanpages said, open a case on PayPal and provide your evidence to them. PayPal heavily favours buyers anyway so you're already a step ahead of the seller.
Edited by: "tsimehC" 12th Aug 2017

In some of the IT hardware support world, disks in operations are pulled out after a good run and replaced with brand new disk way before disk fault data error problem starts to occur. For example, RAID boxes allow HOT swaps or COLD swaps.
This means a buckets of hard disks are sold in the after-market and some scams.
Check SMART is always a must, other than the 7000 hours , what's the hard disk manufactured date , number of power on hours, power on cycles, start/stop counts etc. all give signs of how the disk was used in that 7000 hours.

splender2 m ago

In some of the IT hardware support world, disks in operations are pulled …In some of the IT hardware support world, disks in operations are pulled out after a good run and replaced with brand new disk way before disk fault data error problem starts to occur. For example, RAID boxes allow HOT swaps or COLD swaps.This means a buckets of hard disks are sold in the after-market and some scams. Check SMART is always a must, other than the 7000 hours , what's the hard disk manufactured date , number of power on hours, power on cycles, start/stop counts etc. all give signs of how the disk was used in that 7000 hours.

What's that got to do with anything? The point of the thread is that the OP bought new, and received used, and wants to know why ebay removed seemingly appropriate negative feedback.

If the seller is a powerseller and has lot of +ve feedback, ebay removes one or two -ve feedback at the seller's request.

Completely agree OP, it's poor form for the negative to be removed, given the situation you described here. Personally, I lost all respect for ebays feedback system when they removed the ability for both parties to leave feedback many moons ago. In my opinion, the fundermentle building blocks of ebays 'community trust' vanished there and then in one feel swoop!

deeky22 m ago

What's that got to do with anything? The point of the thread is that the …What's that got to do with anything? The point of the thread is that the OP bought new, and received used, and wants to know why ebay removed seemingly appropriate negative feedback.

OP's "....undermines the integrity and trust in the feedback system and I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this?" <=== if no one else says removal of negative feedback here from past history, and no one has so far after 4 hours, then in future the buyers need to use SMART tool like CRYSTALDISKINFO; HD Sentinel and look at the readings so as to detect and possibly expose further occurrence of ebay renewal of negative feedbacks (may be just for items like hard disks since a brand new is virtually indistingishable from an unwrapped OEM disk ); another possibility is that the OP may have misread the SMART data (or mixed up SMART readings from a string of attached disks).

deeky29 m ago

What's that got to do with anything? The point of the thread is that the …What's that got to do with anything? The point of the thread is that the OP bought new, and received used, and wants to know why ebay removed seemingly appropriate negative feedback.

31679733-d5zNP.jpg

(YouTube.com)

FloatingWilson19 m ago

Completely agree OP, it's poor form for the negative to be removed, given …Completely agree OP, it's poor form for the negative to be removed, given the situation you described here. Personally, I lost all respect for ebays feedback system when they removed the ability for both parties to leave feedback many moons ago. In my opinion, the fundermentle building blocks of ebays 'community trust' vanished there and then in one feel swoop!

When I called to ask/complain about why I couldn't leave negative feedback for a troublesome buyer, I was told 'the feedback system is designed to allow buyers and sellers to leave an honest appraisal of the transaction'.
The agent I spoke to completely refused to acknowledge the ridiculous irony in the statement, where a seller cannot leave negative feedback, in fact not even negative comments, about a buyer.

Stuff eBay

OP, eBAY is not going to help as you know and from comment #1 & Changing or removing feedback

Suppose many confirmed your experience on this thread, then what does this outcome leaves you as next step? In contrast, suppose no one else confirms your experience on this thread, then what does this inconclusive situation leave you as next step?

If you feel strongly about it, enough to post here, and you wanted a real positive outcome.
What you may consider is to "knock" out this seller for possible unscrupulous miselling,
Use SMART as you know how as evidence and get your mates to make a few test purchases from the same seller. Then report the seller to Trading Standard when you find multiple old items sold as new.
Edited by: "splender" 12th Aug 2017

Shady site, shady seller, perfect match.

Where have we heard this before...

You probably gave the seller 1* ratings for everything as well as negative.
A seller can ask for feedback to be removed if they can prove you have rated them unfairly.
i.e if you gave them 1* for delivery time, and they prove to ebay they sent the item on time and it was delivered in time, your 1* would be unfair.

Hence, you should have negged the seller, but remained factual with the rest of the ratings. Ive had negs removed when buyers try to trash the whole lot over something petty.

..and btw a seller can find out who left 1* ratings.
We are also getting late delivery marks from buyers who leave feedback saying "very fast delivery".

To be honest the Ebay feedback is useless at best. Only the naive believe it. I wanted to bid on something when I first joined eBay. The seeker stated bids only accepted from people with 10 (maybe 20 , it's a long time ago) positive feedback. I had zero. Within a couple of hours I had enough to bid, by simply buying cheap hong kong/ Chinese jewellery at a few pence each. I gave them instant positive feedback and they reciprocated in kind. I have no idea if I received everything, I didn't care. It cost me a few pounds (if that).
EBay is a market. Everyone is a Del boy. Ebay doesn't want to scare sellers off. Better to 'urinate' you off , than lose the income from a business seller.
Start the refund process, make no mention of this,and good luck.

Name and shame?

mrty16 m ago

To be honest the Ebay feedback is useless at best. Only the naive believe …To be honest the Ebay feedback is useless at best. Only the naive believe it. I wanted to bid on something when I first joined eBay. The seeker stated bids only accepted from people with 10 (maybe 20 , it's a long time ago) positive feedback. I had zero. Within a couple of hours I had enough to bid, by simply buying cheap hong kong/ Chinese jewellery at a few pence each. I gave them instant positive feedback and they reciprocated in kind. I have no idea if I received everything, I didn't care. It cost me a few pounds (if that). EBay is a market. Everyone is a Del boy. Ebay doesn't want to scare sellers off. Better to 'urinate' you off , than lose the income from a business seller.Start the refund process, make no mention of this,and good luck.

Those that take (positive) feedback at face value are naive or, perhaps, just need educating on the shady practices that people (like you) undertake to build their trading "reputation".

It is wise to look at (the value of) the transactions where feedback was gained, where feedback is gained rapidly (especially following a change of trading name), &/or where feedback is exchanged between parties on a regular basis.

Also, look for the same traders on other trading platforms (& if they have their own web site) to see if patterns of behaviour can be established.

Thanks Fanpages...never been called shady before. In my defence it was just a ply so I could have my bids accepted but it taught me the lesson to never believe feedback. As for people who complete outside eBay/Paypal or pay by bank transfer -they get little sympathy from me. That's not too say I haven't got caught out (once) , but that's another story.
Edited by: "mrty" 13th Aug 2017

I had put a negative feedback on a seller and ebay won't even post it. It said I can not leave a negative feedback. I am not joking, that is exactly what it said!

mrty1 h, 32 m ago

Thanks Fanpages...never been called shady before. In my defence it was …Thanks Fanpages...never been called shady before. In my defence it was just a ply so I could have my bids accepted but it taught me the lesson to never believe feedback. As for people who complete outside eBay/Paypal or pay by bank transfer -they get little sympathy from me. That's not too say I haven't got caught out (once) , but that's another story.

To be fair, I referred to shady practices not that you were of dubious character.

Something else to be wary of is Shill bidding. It is relatively easy to avoid detection (even though sophisticated methods to identify collusion have been introduced). eBay has no way of determining if bidders are related to or are friends with the seller, though.

Yep. Pay your money and take your chance.

feedback is confusing on ebay. you have some people leaving poor feedback because the item they ordered from china did not arrive the next day.
if the item is secondhand then feedback,is usefull because it may tell you how truthfull the seller is at describing goods.
but if the item is new whats the point, if you dont get the item raise a claim on paypal.
if you dont like the cheap new goods you purchased on ebay, stop buying unseen cheap goods on ebay.
in the posters case, getting second hand goods instead of new is not good.
Edited by: "lumsdot" 14th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text